A Colonoscopy Catastrophe

I had a CT scan last week as a result of stomach issues I have been having since my gallbladder surgery 4 weeks ago. The results came back which answered a few questions, but raised a few more. My gallbladder surgery is not what is causing the issues. Instead, it looks like my colon is inflamed. Since we do not know why, I am being referred to another specialist who will most likely order a colonoscopy. This got my husband and I discussion when he had his last colonoscopy. We were trying to remember exactly when it was, we figured it was about 7-8 years ago. Then, we were discussion who took him and picked him up because you are sedated at the colonoscopy and then need someone to drive you home. After reflection, it hit me. He drove himself. And he had a wreck as he left the hospital. At the time, I didn't know much about colonoscopy procedures. So I never even realized you are not supposed to drive. And I'm guessing the person who scheduled it must not have given him the proper information because it never even dawned on him at the time that THIS was the reason he had a wreck. I cannot believe the incompetency of whoever let him leave following the procedure without another adult. Thankfully, no one was injured in the wreck. Though, of course, we had to pay a fine, insurance deductible, AND our insurance premiums went up. It was so long ago that there is nothing to do about it now. But seriously, I feel like they should know what they did that was so wrong! After our discussion, I did some googling and it says that patients are PROHIBITED from driving for at least 12 hours. Prohibited... yet my husband left alone & had a wreck immediately. Seriously, the wreck was in front of the hospital. If someone has never had something like this done, they expect the medical professionals to inform them of all he do's and don'ts. Some may say, "well, your husband should have known better!" But how could he know better if he's never been in that situation? He had a different procedure done probably a year or two before that and he was told to bring another adult to drive him, which he did. Anyway, it's sort of "Funny" since it happened so long ago and no one was hurt. But I'm just really taken aback by it when I think about it.
@HazySue (21394)
Boy did they slip up. Now days they have the written instructions that clearly state that you can not drive for so many hours after the procedure. Someone was certainly negligent.
yes, definitely. Because if he was out of it from sedation, who knows what he thought or said... I just was sedated few weeks ago & those first hours after waking are hazy to me.
@HazySue yes, it could have
@DWDavis (10771)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I hope the docs are able to figure out how to resolve your problem, hopefully without more surgery. I have had three colonoscopies, and each time there was someone there to pick me up. The staff would not even begin the procedure unless someone was already there waiting for me to get done.
i'm hearing this & just finding more dlsbelief in the negligence of the hospital! i wish it weren't so long ago. and yes, i hope that we can solve my issues without more surgery. i need to get back to normal
That is terrible. It really is criminal negligence. Something similar could have happened to my husband after an eye examination. No-one told him that the drops would affect his vision. When he went to drive home, he couldn't see properly.
seems like these things should be such a simple part of the procedure
@jillybean1222 I think they should be too. It should be obvious that information should be given about all this stuff. How on earth can it be something you're just supposed to know?
Well it was a good thing that your hubby wasn't badly injured. I will put in a prayer for you that all goes well and that everything works out alright.
thank you for the prayers
Oh. My. Word. That place is lucky you guys didn't realize you could have sued. They wouldn't even do the colonoscopy for my dad until there was someone there to sign the papers, saying I was his ride. It was the same way with my sister. And then they'd wheel them in a wheelchair, to the car, and then I'd take them home. That's crazy! That is so stupid, I can't fathom what those people were thinking. Maybe you just have some polyps to be removed. Both my dad and sister have had those removed before. But it sure would have been nice if they'd done some more tests so you didn't have that gallbladder surgery unnecessarily.
well, my gallbladder was full of stones. so even though it wasn't causing me pain, it was not functioning properly. i cannot believe all he reports i am getting about the person needing a ride and the place making sure someone was there. wow. this hospital..... i feel like someone needs to be told.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I would be taken aback by it as well. Glad he made it out. That isn't cool,of the hospital. I went with a friend when she had hers done and they made me wear a bracelet with her info on it and scanned me before she was allowed to leave.
yes, the funny thing, this hospital is known for being a GREAT hospital, but we've had multiple bad experiences with them.
@dragon54u (31617)
Love the photo!! It looks just like my Domino, who I adopted when he was 8 and my family had 5 wonderful years with him. When my then-husband had his first c-opy I dropped him off and was parking the car. They would not do anything at all, not even paperwork, until they saw that he had a driver to take him home. If your husband is like me, he doesn't feel excessively groggy after the anesthesia. Lots of people are like this. Maybe he inadvertently fooled someone who didn't realize he's just undergone a procedure. Either way, it was a bone-headed mistake on the part of the hospital! Your husband probably was still wearing his ID bracelet. I've never known anyone who cuts it off right away. I'm glad no one was hurt. You really should ask the hospital to pay at least for your deductible since your husband wasn't thinking clearly. I don't normally encourage legal action but it is warranted here.
well, if it were more recently, it would be worth considering, but it was at least 7 years ago. I know it was before I had my 6 year old. So it's been awhile. But one thing I'm planning to do, is if i have one there, i'm going to bring it up.... I'm going to see how they handle mine.
@Hate2Iron (7857)
Good heavens... he really should have been told. But if you weren't you feel perfectly fine once you wake up so I'm not surprised that he felt fine enough to drive. Someone really screwed up big time!!!
yes, totally. they should have made sure he had a driver.
@jillybean1222 Glad you know to have someone drive you home. I have to get a colonoscopy even though I am younger because of a strong family troubles with the colon. I hope you get something that will shed light on your condition
I have never had one and know that one is long overdue
someone goofed at the hospital .No surprise there
That does sound like negligence on the part of the hospital.
I hope they can get you better! Although thats not a fun procedure. Also think they were wrong to not tell him. But glad you know for yours, if they schedule one
@marsha32 (6693)
oh that's a no no to let the person who had the procedure drive home. Here they won't release you unless you have a ride! They didn't put me to sleep with mine, just gave me some "funny juice". I feel I could have drove myself home but always better to be safe than sorry. I wasn't groggy enough to not feel it and kept saying ow and asking if they were about done....they didn't finish and told me to reschedule with the hospital to be completely put under. No thanks, once was enough for me.