Childhood Holidays By The Sea

Perranporth beach, from Pixabay.
By Jabo
United Kingdom
When things started to settled down after World War 11, my parents would take me and my sisters on a week's holiday every year. We would go to Cornwall, which is in the South West of England. Our rented house was perched high above a creek that led to the open sea. We would trek down a little path, encumbered by fishing nets, buckets and spades, with our parents bringing a picnic. Our father had taught us all to swim at an early age, and we were in and out of the water all day. We were fascinated by the little fishes and crabs in the rockpools, and delighted in cornering and capturing anything that moved. These we placed in our buckets, putting them back in the rockpools at the end of the day. We also collected shells and explored the caves by the water's edge. Though I suppose that the weather must have been inclement sometimes (after all this was England), I honestly only remember sunshine and laughter. When I see children at the seaside today, eyes on their electronic devices, or going on expensive fairground rides and visiting arcades, I feel nostalgic for the times when all we needed was the sea, sand and a bucket and spade. Add a ball to the mix and we were in heaven. Do you remember those times too?
I do. I loved going to the lake as a kid. I was a fish in water as soon as my dad taught me to swim. It's too bad kids are missing out on what it really means to have fun outdoors.
@just4him That's it exactly - the big outdoors is such a wonderful playground. We'd stay out all day, wouldn't we?
@jaboUK I went out in the morning and came in at night. I was not the indoor person I've become. Childhood is for the outdoors.
@just4him Same here.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Kids today miss so much because their noses are stuck to their screens or they're looking for an adrenaline thrill. They don't take time to enjoy the excitement nature has provided them.
@DWDavis You've hit the nail on the head - there is so much pleasure to had from nature. What a pity the kids don't notice.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@jaboUK I'm glad my boys came up through the Scouting program. We had a strict no electronics policy at meetings and on campouts. And on family vacations our boys were not allowed to bring any handheld games.
@DWDavis You've obviously brought your boys up well.
When I was younger we loved playing at the beach and building sand castles or burying each other in the sand. Some of my best memories were times that our parents would take us to the beach. Dad would swim with us while mom prepared a boiled dinner over the fire. Those were the days. We were perfectly happy with the little that we had. We wanted for nothing. Things sure different today.
@Happy2BeMe We never cooked anything on the beach (I suspect it would have been a lot of trouble taking the equipment down and up that cliff path). Otherwise your memories are similar to mine.
@cacay1 (32161)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Almost all of us have synonymous experiences in the past at our young ages.
We'd go to the coast once a year for perhaps three or four weeks. We'd pack a picnic, leave early to get a spot in the shade under the jetty and stay there all day.
• Riga, Latvia
Sounds like great memories. My childhood was spent in the Catskill Mountains of NY state under pine trees swimming in a man made lake but I do enjoy the sea. Children with technology have forgotten how to use their imaginations.
@RasmaSandra That sounds great swimming in the lake in the mountains.
@cacay1 (32161)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
That is true Ras very good memories cannot be forgotten.
@cacay1 (32161)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@jaboUK very awesome and peculiar/.
You really do have a wealth of memories to cherish from those days spent in Cornwall. I do remember vacation times with my family as a child. Such fun for all of us.
@Corbin5 lol - whenever I want something to write about I have only to cast my memory back to my childhood. As you say, family holidays were special when we were young.
@cacay1 (32161)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
That was so nice experience in Cornwall park.
@amnabas (9925)
• Karachi, Pakistan
I am a kid of 80's era and I do remember building castles when we go to seaside. They were amazing memories.
@amnabas The simple pleasure of building sand castles is wonderful to a small child, isn't it?
@cacay1 (32161)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Me too experienced it and my innocent mind does not care at all of the heat of the sun.
We grew up on the beach. I have the fondest memories of my childhood spent with my brothers and parents. My dad only joined us on weekends. I made certain our two sons had the same experience every summer. My grandchildren also have spent time at the beach with me and their parents. We are a family of swimmers and beach lovers! Lol!
@DianneN You were lucky to live close to the beach - we lived inland with the nearest sea 70 miles away. We were swimmers too - if any outings didn't give us the opportunity to swim we were very disappointed.
@jaboUK My mother loved the beach so much. I remember her telling me that she could have never lived inland. My older son vacations in the Hamptons or in Cape Cod with the kids. I should say kid, since my granddaughter now goes to sleepover camp, but it's on a lake and they take special trips to the ocean. Still, there is nothing like the beautiful green in England. I've read so many novels that took place in Cornwall, that I pictured what you wrote perfectly. It's on my bucket list!
@DianneN Cornwall is beautiful, but like most other places it's very commercialised now.
• Portland, Connecticut
I do though we only did a day trip since the sea is only half an hour away from where I grew up. I remember picnics, sand and sunburn, a perfect time
@BelleStarr It did seem perfect, didn't it? I suppose that we're looking through rose-coloured glasses, but they were wonderful times.
• Portland, Connecticut
@jaboUK Hey we didn't have to drive or cook and we got to play in the surf, what is better than that!! There usually was some ice cream involved on the way home too!! My father was a bigger kid than we were lol
@BelleStarr We didn't get too much icecream (in fact I don't remember getting any at all) as sweet stuff was still rationed in England at the time I'm talking about. But what you've never had you don't miss
@Gillygirl (15291)
• Sutton, England
I enjoy reading your childhood memories Janet. Until we moved South I lived near the sea but holidays to Devon, Cornwall and Wales were always special. There were amusement arcades in some places but my brother and I were told they were for people who wanted to throw money down the drain. I still have a dislike for such venues. Loved rock pools and the fishes, making sand castles etc. Ah memories!
Yes these are memories of the best kind, full of innocence and fun.
@cacay1 (32161)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Yeah she really had a wonderful memories in the past.
@cacay1 (32161)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@jaboUK Yeah innocent mind and God loves innocent.
I guess children in those days were much healthier too.
@Kandae11 I think that's true - there weren't many fat children around.
@cacay1 (32161)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
That is correct , less cared but lots of freedom.
@sol_cee (13596)
• Japan
I thought Cornwall equals cornfields.
@sol_cee Wrong!
@sol_cee (13596)
• Japan
Do I ever there.Those days for me was a delight.
@amadeo We were so innocent in those days, weren't we? Didn't need a lot to make us happy.
@Lupita234 yes it was.
@xFiacre (10489)
@jabouk you be described my holidays in the early 60s on the north coast of Ireland. We had 2 weeks in July in a boarding house. So delightfully unsophisticated and thoroughly good fun.
@xFiacre Just innocent fun wasn't it?
what a wonderful holiday!
@jillybean1222 Yes, we had such fun in those days
What a great holiday!
@TheInvisibleMan Yes, we didn't have a lot materially, but we knew how to enjoy ourselves.
@jaboUK That's what matters.
@jaboUK when we were kids it didnt matter whether we have the best toys or not ,what mattered was friends and basic toys.
My mother was not a swimmer but my parents took me to the beach a lot when I was a kid. My father was my protector!
Fathers are always protective of their kids.They are our superhero.
@AbbyGreenhill Our dad's were often our heroes weren't they?
@Blushandglow Now he is my hero in heaven.
I not only remember those times, I tend to re-capture them as often as possible by cultivating nature walks and really getting into what is under my feet . . . great post !
@enlightenedpsych2 Good for you Erica - there's nothing like getting close to nature.
@jaboUK grandma and mom couldn't keep me out of sand boxes, gardens and WATER ! I think if it was NOT for the love of nature, too much would of taken me down into a tailspin of woe . . .
• Pamplona, Spain
How can I forget. Tywyn and Rhyl and Barmouth were our main Holiday places and staying in a Caravan. I went with my Auntie a lot though and Mom looked after my two brothers as they were a handful always.
@lovinangelsinstead21 We didn't go to Wales much, but went to Nevin once. Happy days, weren't they?
• Pamplona, Spain
@jaboUK I was only happy making Sand Castles by the Sea and making a Moat in the sand around the Castle. When the tide came in it would start filling it up. Yes they were happy. My Auntie used to take me for a special Breakfast I loved feeling special.
Today's children will never know what fun is.
@allknowing Sadly, that could be true - they think that fun is beating each other in video games.
Yes, I miss the days when we all went to the lake together, we used to do that all the time and, beautiful picture there.
@TRBRocks420 Yes, family time that involves water and swimming was always great. I got the picture from Pixabay, but it's of the actual beach that we used.