An Amazing Escape

Daytona Beach, Florida
The worst day imaginable came for San Francisco, California when the devastating earthquake and fire struck which practically whipped out the entire city. Whenever anyone talks about this tragedy we think how awful for the city but we forget how many different fascinating stories came out of all of this. There are those of you who will recognize the name of the world’s greatest tenor, Enrico Caruso at that time. His lucky star followed him to California because when the tragedy struck he was there with the New York Metropolitan Opera. Just the night before was opening night and Caruso sang the part of Don Jose in Bizet’s Carmen at the Mission Opera House. He was staying at The Palace Hotel and please with his performance went to bed. He woke up at around 5 AM on April 18, 1906 and felt his bed shaking. Looking out the window he was shocked to see toppled buildings, masonry falling and people crying out for help. What saved the great tenor was the he and his company managed to get out of the hotel safely before The Palace Hotel fell in the late afternoon. Caruso was also luck enough to save the bulk of his luggage with the helping hand of his valet who also found a horse and cart to bring Caruso to the waterfront Ferry Building and away from the fires ravaging the city. Once heading away from the city he was glad to be able to return to New York and from there back to Italy and his family. He was one of the lucky ones and how devastating if the world had lost such a great tenor in this earthquake. http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/enrico-caruso-survives-the-san-francisco-earthquake
Just Music. Enrico Caruso sings "O Sole Mio" in this recording from February 5, 1916 with the Victor Orchestra. Walter B. Rogers is conducting.
that is wondeful that his life was spared so we could hea his briliant v o ive
He was indeed lucky wasn't he? I hope the valet got rewarded.
Imagine losing such a tenor @JudyEv especially since at that time he had a wife and small children in Italy Guess he could say that's what I get for coming to the U.S.
Time to watch San Francisco with Jeannette Macdonald!
Interesting you should mention that @JohnRoberts I have the video and I love it since it also included Clark Gable. Guess you just told me what I should put on tonight. One of my absolute favorite scenes is the one at the very end
Ending to the 1936 MGM film San Francisco. This was taken from a Warner Archive DVD that i had got and love. This classic picture has not been shown on the B...