Hold your breath....okay now breathe....

@CRK109 (14079)
Women all over know that mammograms are not the most fun things to do. Growing up, Mom never said much about them except to just go every year. And I did. Sometimes, Mom and I scheduled ours together. I never thought about having it done. I just went and then it was over. And then came the year that a mammogram saved my life. So when I hear any woman, such as my sister-in-law, say she doesn't believe in getting them, I cringe. If I had not been getting my yearly scans, especially the one I got in 2008, I'd be dead today. Thankfully, we caught it very early and we got rid of it all quickly and pretty painlessly. And so, I make sure I get my scan every year and no matter what the tech needs me to do in order to see every thing they need to see, I do it. I hold my breath as long as they need me to. I become a statue and don't move anything. And while I'm holding my breath, I'm saying a prayer. Not just for me, but all the women who have these done. We're all united in this. Hopefully, I'll be so busy in the next few days and/or weeks that I won't be holding my breath more for the results! The tech told me that I can breathe now, and so I shall. If you're of an age where your doctor wants you to have a mammogram, I hope and pray that you do. I want your life to be saved, as well. Claudia
• Denmark
I am in the same situation as you. When I have a mammogram taken, however, I'm told the result at once. Maybe the equipment is different here.
@CRK109 (14079)
I'm not sure it's the equipment. I think it's your whole medical system that works better than ours.
• Denmark
@CRK109 That may well be the case.
@DWDavis (10729)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My wife goes every year, and if I notice anything unusual during the months in between she schedules an appointment to have it checked. Thankfully, that's only happened once and it turned out to be benign.
@CRK109 (14079)
It means everything to a woman to have a supportive husband! You are one in a million!
thank you for sharing there.
@CRK109 (14079)
hehehehe Yes, I'm sure the men enjoyed it!
@CRK109 I see
@Ronrybs (6926)
• London, England
With that out of the way, you can get one with other things, sure everything will be fine
@CRK109 (14079)
I'm feeling pretty positive about that, even though I haven't heard yet.
@spiderdust (1334)
• San Jose, California
I've never had a mammogram, but not for lack of trying. I *do* believe in them, it's just been hard getting the referral to get one.
@CRK109 (14079)
oh no! I hope you can finally get one. I know I had problems getting a referral for my colonoscopy but I kept making a pest of myself to the doctor's office and they finally took care of it! lol
@RubyHawk (13281)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I hate doing it but I do. We're lucky to have mammograms available. They've saved lots of lives. Glad you got a good report.
@CRK109 (14079)
Thanks! And you are so right that we're lucky to have them available! We need to remind ourselves of that more!
I've always had mine at the due time. I think now I've turned 70 I won't get reminded any more but I can still go for one if I want to.
@CRK109 (14079)
Even when my mother was in her 90s, they still encouraged her to get them. Of course, by that age, she told me that if they found anything, she wouldn't get the surgery or treatment, so why bother. And I completely understood her feelings on that.
I didnt hear anything about them until i was like 16. Then the doctors kept upping what age you had to be to do them. And now say not til 40. Glad you caught it and are here now.
@CRK109 (14079)
I can't remember what age I was when I was told to start, but I'm very glad I've always had them done because of that one scan that was problematic. Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad to be here!
@FourWalls (6942)
My next-door-neighbor had stage zero cancer removed thanks to a mammogram. They're painful (I had mine last week) but life-savers for certain. I shout from the hilltops about them and colonoscopies (there's a history of colon cancer in my family). In the case of a colonoscopy, the worst thing is the prep (lemon jello and a gallon of goop ), but it's one of the most easily-treated forms of cancer if caught early. That's worth the day of discomfort.
@CRK109 (14079)
I never heard of stage zero but that's wonderful! And you are so right about both scans! They are definitely worth any problems we have prepping or holding our breath!
I have a test every year.