Georgia's Carpetbagger Democrat Candidate!

In an era of change an old practice once decried by Democrats is not the common practice of Democrats. I am referring to the practice of Running for office in an area which you do not live in or moved to in order to run for office. The present example is Jon Ossoff who, while he may have grown up in the district, does not live in the district he is running to represent. He has not lived there for some time but somehow the people there are willing to abdicate their interests. Other examples include Hillary Clinton who ran for and won a seat in a New York district despite not having lived there for a significant length of time. Soon after moving into the district she decided to run for office to represent them. The biggest difference is she was at least able to vote for herself. Jon Ossoff, if elected, would represent an act of foolishness which almost happened yesterday. If this happens, I propose that we remove any limitations on who can run. I have lived in several places over my lifetime and know others have too. Why not allow me to run for and hold offices in those places? I live outside the city limits of my town but should be allowed to run for mayor of that town if it no longer matters where you reside. What do you think? Is Jon Ossoff a carpetbagger? Does it really matter if you live in an area to run for a political office in that area?
a person from the northern United States who went to the South after the American Civil War to make money See the full definition…
@dragon54u (31605)
Why would anyone vote for someone who did have an interest in that area? If he doesn't live there he has no idea how things are right now, what concerns the citizens have...oops, I forgot! It's a politician, they don't give a damn what the people want. If the people vote him in they deserve what they get.
@dragon54u Michigan has a rule/ law that you have to live in the district that you are running to represent. I can't understand why Georgia doesn't. This fellow would have been disqualified before even running!
@dragon54u (31605)
@Berniezeitler I just read that he won the election. I hope those people are taught a lesson.
@dragon54u He didn't get more than 50% so there will be a runoff in June. I hope that they did too! Strange that some of the machines were stolen before the election started (early votes).
Not to mention that Hollywood and other outside liberal money poured in as the Dems want to win this district at any cost or means.
@JohnRoberts Yup! And you would think they could have done better with 8 Million to work with!
@Berniezeitler The Reps put no money in the campaign and will do so with their lady candidate in the run off.
@Dena91 (4196)
I think unless they live in that area for a specific amount of time before an election and while being the representative or what ever they are running for, then they should not be eligible to represent that area. We have a county commissioner who lives in the next county but has a lake home here therefore others elected him to represent us. He's been one of the worse commissioners our county has ever had. It angers me to say the least.
@Dena91 As I understand it Michigan would have precluded that commissioner from running! Hey can I run for office in your county?
@megatron777 (3779)
• Guam
Not a good political practice.
Yes, Jon O. does fit the definition of a carpetbagger. I do believe that living in an area qualifies one to run for office in that area.