That Looks Like an Accident Waiting to Happen

My sister still lives in the old neighborhood in which we grew up. We decided to drag Molly along with us to drop something off at my sister's house. We literally have to DRAG Molly along with us since she has decided that walking on a leash is beneath her, and she has become highly uncooperative during walks. We stumbled upon something that looked like an accident waiting to happen in my old neighborhood. I can just imagine some kids removing those rotting boards from the rather deep hole made of concrete we saw along our way. A kid, or a human of any age, falling into whatever is underneath those boards could definitely end up in bad shape. I will send the photo of that area-of-danger to the village and ask them to do something to prevent someone from falling into that hole.
Yeah I can picture some silly children thinking it's a good idea to explore what's in there. That's not safe at all.
It really is a kid magnet. I will send the photo to the village just in case danger could be a possibility.
@cacay1 (29536)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Corbin5 they should fixed the hole ASAP.
@cacay1 (29536)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Lupita234 100% true,
That is very dangerous. I hope something is done to fix it before something happens to somebody.
I will send the photo to the village, and hopefully, they will secure that spot to keep people safe.
@Corbin5 I hope they do
@cacay1 (29536)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Happy2BeMe You are right friend, very dangerous for children no knowledge at all of dangers.
Molly is doing her job (lol) I remember an open manhole that would have been a good prospect for accidents if I had not reported.
• Pamplona, Spain
Molly is a good girl and I think she would get on well with our Dog too. Ages ago there was and is a big hole in the Street which should have a metal cover on. Its not deep deep but deep enough for someone to catch their foot in unwittingly and do some nasty damage. Specially in the dark as the lighting is very poor there. For the people that know the place that is okey because they look out for it and know.
@lovinangelsinstead21 Has no one reported about that hole?
• Pamplona, Spain
@allknowing Oh yes, but they have done nothing about it during all this time. I can go there now and still find it without its cover on like it should be.
@nanette64 (11257)
• Fairfield, Texas
It does look dangerous @Corbin5 and especially knowing kids and their curiosity.
As kids, we definitely would have wanted to know what was under that thing. It is near the railroad tracks that takes folks to and from the city of Chicago. We used to put pennies on those train tracks to have them flattened by a speeding train. Never told Mom we did that!
@nanette64 (11257)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 Your mom would have whopped your butt.
@nanette64 Yes, she would have used the hairbrush. Moms were evil back then.
I wonder what is underneath.?
I wonder too. Not sure, but it is a good idea to alert someone in power to make the cover more secure.
• Guam
@Kandae11 Good question.
@cacay1 (29536)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Kandae11 There might be gold bar lols.
@1hopefulman (16337)
Yes, it's good to report it and hopefully they will quickly do something about it!
I hope they do. Lots of kids pass that spot to and from school.
@1hopefulman (16337)
@Corbin5 I hope so too! Is this spot on private or public property?
@1hopefulman It is on public property.
• Pamplona, Spain
Our Dog is all happy right now the next Door dog is back after being away some days. He has just wagged his tail and looked much happier than I have seen him in days and eaten right away too. Holes like that are a real danger to anyone. Imagine going past there in the pitch black of night.
Yes, the commuter train station that takes folks to and from the city of Chicago for work is in that area. Many walk home from work in the dark of night. Molly would be happy to run free, but dogs, by law, have to be on-leash when out and about. Cats too.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 Cats too? I have yet to see them do that to Cats here. Poor Molly big hug for that girl. Mine has just gone out again a bit happier than before. All dogs have to be on a leash here with a muzzle on.
@lovinangelsinstead21 The muzzle is a good idea. Yes, my sister has 4 cats and she puts harnesses on them and takes them outside in her yard that does not have a fence. Cars, coyotes, unwanted kittens and puppies, and preventing pets from going missing are the reasons for the on-leash law.
Oh no, Molly is becoming cantankerous. That can't be good. Yeah, the village should figure out how to make the area safe for all.
Molly is a poop!!! So stubborn and bossy. I have abandoned the afternoon walk due to it being an exercise in futility. She loves snow and cold, and I do believe she will walk with me willingly in winter.
So it could be she just doesn't like the warm weather @Corbin5 ?
@rebelann I think so. She has a double-coat and warm weather is not tolerated well by Molly. I think she tolerated the warm weather much better when she was younger, but at age 7, she prefers to stay inside the air-conditioned house. She really comes alive in winter.
@Shellyann36 (7097)
Oh, that looks dangerous. Whoever owns the property should really fix that problem. It looks to be an old well. I would hate for anyone to fall down that, especially a child.
Yes, I alerted the village to the problem I do hope they secure that spot so than no one can get into it.
@Corbin5 I hope they do something about it. I would hate for anyone to fall down that!
@Shellyann36 I hope so too.
@hostessman (6065)
• Tucson, Arizona
i am surprised some kid has not jumped on top of it just for fun, which it wuoldn't be any fun if he did
Hopefully it is soon taken care of.
That was my thought too. I did notify the village. Hope they do something about it.
@paigea Yes, I hope that the village remedies this problem.
@megatron777 (3856)
• Guam
That's good and better do that fast!
Yes, already sent the photo and a request, and I do hope they do something about that area.
• Guam
@Corbin5 That's good.
• Guam
@Lupita234 That's right my friend.
@FayeHazel (7197)
Oh oh, be careful Molly!
Molly is just sniffin'. She sniffs forever in one spot.
@FayeHazel (7197)
@Corbin5 I thought of you today when I learned that Stephen King's dog's name is also Molly :-)
@FayeHazel Thanks for letting me know that Faye. Mr. King has a Molly too!! I have read most of Mr. King's works, but his latest works are quite political and that kind of ruins them for me.
@Nawsheen (22898)
• Mauritius
Children always gets attracted to dangerous things it seems
Yes, many kids pass by this on their way to and from school. Hopefully, once alerted, the village will fix this.
@Nawsheen (22898)
• Mauritius
@Corbin5 let us hope that it gets fixed soon
@fishtiger58 (27168)
• Momence, Illinois
Yikes that does look dangerous, good you informed the village before something really bad happens.
I could just envision kinds jumping on that or lifting the boards.
@fishtiger58 (27168)
• Momence, Illinois
@Corbin5 Yea that's scary.
I wonder who made the hole and its purpose?
I think a builder intended to erect an apartment or townhouse building there and it just never happened. As for the hole's purpose, I haven't a clue.
@Corbin5 they should have filled it in.
@diosabella (4848)
I hope someone repair and change that soon. Its an accident waiting to happen.
Yes, that spot needs a cover that will not allow entry by anyone.
@Lupita234 Maybe they will do that soon.
Seems like quite dangerous and it is more dangerous than the sewers without a lid in the city.Cause we have no idea how deep is the hole and it is in the suburb.Hope it is fixed well.
Yes, I have no idea how deep the hole is. Worry about kids messing with it. I did alert the village to the danger.
@Corbin5 That's great.
I'm curious as to what it could possibly be.
I am curious too. A developer was going to build pricey town homes there, and I think the builder did not have the funds to do so and just left whatever is under those boards.
@Corbin5 It's almost worth a peek. Lol!
Good luck there.Hope they do fix this.
Yes, I alerted the village, and I do hope they take action to fix it.
@Corbin5 they you go.Good for you
That looks very dangerous, I hope that it gets properly sealed before someone, or someone's pet hurts themselves seriously over it.
I am sending the photo today, and hopefully, the village will do something about it.
@Corbin5 It almost looks like an old well. I know here in Ontario when residents switched over from wells to piped water the government was very strict on how and when the old wells were de-commissioned. It was the same when we went from a septic system to sewer lines.