Assumptions on Mylot lead to misunderstandings

Bunbury, Australia
I think most of us would agree that we've learnt many things from myLot. Being Australian and belonging to a site where most members are predominantly from other countries, I have had my horizons very much widened. After over twelve months here, I'm only just starting to realise that I shouldn't 'assume' anything. As I commented this morning 'another assumption down the drain'. And that is perhaps where assumptions belong. Things that are commonplace to me have been queried by readers. And I've puzzled over some terms or read through all the comments for 'clues' that would save me looking silly by asking about something which is obviously well-understood by others. The most common assumption I see about Australia is that it is full of dangerous creatures. And it is – so spread the word and let's keep Australia for Australians – except for any myLotters of course. And because I'm on a quest to not 'assume' anything, and I can't 'assume' you'll know I'm telling a fib, I must point out that the above paragraph is meant to be funny. So don't 'assume' anything. Have you had to put any assumptions down the drain recently? Photo is of a kangaroo on our road. He has had his ear injured, probably in a fight.
I stopped assuming I knew what someone meant when Jabo politely explained that using the word 'bugger' is actually foul language in British. Up til then I never knew there was such a huge different between English in America and English in the UK and evidently Australia. It was an eye opener. As for those who do not speak English as a first language that I can understand, I've dealt with that most of my life because so many Army wives were foreign born so going to school with their kids I learned what they had to do to help their moms cope with English. Also, my community is over 80% hispanic, many of them do not speak English at all.
@Jackalyn (6185)
• Oxford, England
Just do not talk of pants to the British. We do not go out in our underwear like the Americans. (Who call their trousers "pants."
Yeah, that is one word for them but I call mine jeans @Jackalyn I rarely wear slacks .... is that offensive too?
@CoralLevang (36936)
@Jackalyn *laughs* And don't call belted waist packs "fanny packs" to the Brits. LOL
About a month ago I did, someone assumed I was attacking gays because I said Bruce Jenner is not a pretty woman but it had nothing to do with gays, just one ugly man/woman. I wish I could come to see your country, I think its awesome from what I read, now Africa is supposed to be dangerous.
@scheng1 (24957)
If you want to visit Australia, you are more likely to transit in my country. Hope you can spend a few days here. My country is generally safe, except for mosquitoes that can give you dengue fever! Though it sure is a guaranteed way to lose way, I doubt anyone wants to suffer through a week of dengue fever.
@scheng1 Thank you :)
A comment of mine was taken the wrong way the other day and deleted. I was just trying to agree with the writer but these things happen. I'd probably go to South Africa but I'd be wary the whole time.
@Jackalyn (6185)
• Oxford, England
I always did assume Kangaroos hopped along the main roads in Australia and Koalas hung from every tree. But then I also think all Scottish men wear a kilt and that Queen Elizabeth wears her crown to breakfast as queens wear crowns. For some reason I always think of cricket the moment I see an Indian poster and as for the US....I assume they eat donuts for breakfast. Meanwhile I cannot assume all Africa overun by lions as they were all in the lion park when I visited Harare. I assume that Kangaroo knows what it is doing. Actually the fun in Mylot is finding out all these cultural things that we would not otherwise know. By the way, it is not always raining in London.
Well I'll be.... Another assumption down the drain! We had six weeks in England and Ireland once and only had two days rain.
@CoralLevang (36936)
It doesn't rain all the time here in Seattle either! Haha
@Jackalyn Oh drat, you downed my one assumption of London, always raining. Love your list of assumptions - it's only the police officers who have donuts for breakfast every morning. It's the standard joke for them.
@scheng1 (24957)
Wow, if this kangaroo stops in the middle of the road in front of my place, he will hold up the traffic for hours! It seems strange that sometimes, you see Mylotters from some developing countries complain about the difficulty of hiring and keeping servants, and asking the Mylotters from developed world about how to deal with it. The problem is that hardly any Mylotters from developed countries can afford a full time live-in helper. This surely is one aspect of Mylot that we do not expect when we join.
I thought there were very few people nowadays who had servants of any kind. Here, some might get a cleaner in one day a week or whatever but live-in servants would be very rare.
@scheng1 (24957)
@JudyEv That depends. In Indonesia, many middle class family has live-in servants or servants who come in every day to do the housework. Many of them do not have washing machines at home, because the servants do the laundry by hands. One household usually has 2 or 3 servants. Over here, many middle income family hire foreign live-in maids to do housework, take care of children or aged parents. That is the norm here.
@bagarad (7641)
• Paso Robles, California
We occasionally hire gardeners to mow our lawns and people to do house cleaning, but most of us don't have the money to hire regular household help and do the chores ourselves when we are still in good health and young enough to do them.
@moffittjc (32662)
• Gainesville, Florida
I will admit that the stigma of Australia being a place of dangerous creatures is pretty prevalent here in the US, but not to the point that I think people would be afraid to visit there! Americans love Australians (we especially love your accents), and you have some of the most beautiful and pristine natural areas in the world! I've always wanted to visit Australia to go surfing, as well as Scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef!
A 17-year-old was killed in WA just a day or two ago while surfing with her Dad. Many of the Irish don't seem to want to come to Australia because of the perceived dangers - spiders and snakes in particular.
@moffittjc (32662)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv Those Irish are a bunch of scaredy cats! Afraid of a few snakes and spiders? They need to toughen up! Haha
@moffittjc I must have got it wrong but I thought you'd said the same thing once - about all our nasty critters.
Do they fight with each other or other animals?.
Just with each other unless perhaps attacked by dogs.
@cacay1 (31790)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
I thought they never fight each other,
@cacay1 The bucks will fight for control of a 'mob' of a few does. Here is a photo of young ones practising.
It seemed to us that Australia (South Australia mainly) had very few predators. Mostly marsupials it seemed. Maybe I was making an assumption there. But we saw kangaroos on the side of the road and nothing even seemed to come and eat them. Here, when a deer gets hit, it is eaten and picked clean within a couple of days. That is mostly by birds, but coyotes etc. help.
We have very few predators. Dingoes are mostly seen more in the outback areas. Otherwise it's just birds. Roadkill would mostly be eaten by eagles and other birds, and perhaps goannas, so it takes a long time before it is cleaned up.
@JudyEv Egad, goannas. I had to look it up. That's enough to put me off of Australia.
@blitzfrick Our goannas are much too small to be a threat - and they are much more scared of us than we are of them - mostly anyway.
A fighting kangaroo, just like in the cartoons! Love the photo.
This is one of the big bucks. We rarely get close enough for such a photo. Look at the biceps!
@JudyEv - I know, very muscular. He almost looks like he's making a face for the camera.
@teamfreak16 A pugilistic roo.
Great photo. I have been fascinated by Australia for a long time and really like your posts. I can't get enough old Aussie shows like Water Rats.
Gosh, Water Rats is old. I'd forgotten about that one. And thanks for the compliment. I sometimes think I'm just making mileage out of Australian posts but people seem to like them.
@JudyEv Water Rats is streaming here. I have also seen Murder Call, City Homicide, McLeod's Daughters, Sea Patrol.
@JohnRoberts Sea Patrol was good. McLeod's Daughters you might want to take with a small pinch of salt. Have you heard of Blue Heelers?
I think that many of us have never seen one , so keep them coming.
We took dozens and dozens of photos of kangaroos when we first came here but now we're a bit more selective.
@JudyEv when you moved there was that your first up close encounters with them?
@Tampa_girl7 We had pet kangaroos when we were on the farm but we weren't surrounded by them like we are here. Here is me with pet lambs and Joe.
@blitzfrick (2996)
I think a lot of the U.S. perception of Australia was formed by those Crocodile Dundee movies. Not to mention the Nature specials showing the snakes, etc. I've lived around snakes in the southwest U.S. and seen very few, but the idea of snakes, especially cobras, still scares the bejeezus out of me. And lizards. Definitely scared of those big lizards. Goannas. Brrrrrrr.
I think Crocodile Dundee and then Steve Irwin have a lot to answer for when it comes to people not wanting to come to Australia. It's a great shame really as it's a wonderful country.
@JudyEv I'm not familiar with Steve Irwin's projects and saw only one of the Dundee movies. I'm kinda fascinated with Australia. (Do Australians call it Oz?) Also, I'd like to visit NZ someday.
@blitzfrick I think Steve Irwin's TV shows were more popular in the US than in Australia.
• Pamplona, Spain
No, Jorge has always told me a lot about Australia. Specially about all the Birds in the Garden and outside of the house where he lived. Love the Kangaroo and they can defend themselves for sure.
Is Jorge your husband? Which state did he live in?
• Pamplona, Spain
@JudyEv Melbourne mainly. They did move around a bit also at first.
@lovinangelsinstead21 We always say that Melbourne can have 4 seasons in one day. The weather is pretty unpredictable there.
It's okay to ask to be clarified on things being said , my friend. I always do that. If ever some would find me so ignorant by doing so, then i don't care. I just want to be clarified well about something before I make my comment. Better safe than sorry, right?
Certainly better safe than sorry. I try to put explanations in brackets if I think they are necessary.
@JudyEv Yes. That's why sometimes my posts becomes long because I have to clearly describe the situation.
@SIMPLYD It is very difficult sometimes to keep a post short.
@diosabella (4844)
Assumptions could be very well lead to misunderstanding and from last week experience I'm practicing not to assume anything anymore. Its sad to lose something over it too.
It is very easy to think things are the same in every country so it can be hard not to assume some things.
@JudyEv Yes. But even living in the same country doesn't make things the same or as easy. I don't know but the kangaroo looks mad.
@diosabella The 'roo doesn't look really happy does he?
Assumptions are a part of life and always will be...I wouldn't worry much about it.
I don't think I really worry about it much but sometimes when I don't explain something in the discussion I might need to explain it over and over in the comments - which is okay too but I'd save myself a lot of typing if I got it right in the text.
@JudyEv In that case I would go back into the discussion and amend it LOL!
@AbbyGreenhill I could do that but people aren't going to go back and read the thing again unless I say 'amended' or 'edited' or something in the comment.
@DaddyEvil (21118)
LOL! I am curious what your assumption concerned, Judy! I haven't been on myLot enough lately to have made any assumptions about anything! (Even if I did make an assumption vanny knocks it right out of me! )
Mostly it's thinking a term or phrase might be well known in other countries when it actually isn't. 'Spekky' (spectacular) is one word that I often have to explain and chooks (chickens) is another. There are others too but I can't think of them at the moment. I can't imagine vanny letting you get away with much.
@DaddyEvil (21118)
@JudyEv Some things, like chooks and spekky I already knew from a friend who lives in Australia. I met her on Bubbs and still read her blog sometimes.
@sunrisefan (16602)
One thing a friend told me about Australia is that there are plenty of snakes there. Must be dangerous for camping then.
We rarely see a snake. They tend to stay away from built-up areas or at least they stay away from people as much as they can. It is not dangerous to camp.
@sunrisefan (16602)
@JudyEv Ah okay. That's good. It would be too scary to have snakes looming around human habitation :)
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
You and me both re sometimes being misunderstood by other cultures and countries. And I'm glad you'll let this mere Kiwi in wearing a myLot badge! I'll be on Australian soil in six week
That time will go quickly I'm sure. We have about the same time before we fly to Ireland. I hope Melbourne weather is kind to you.
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
@JudyEv ha, ha, so do I! I don't always strike it lucky there.
I know from many of your posts that there are lots of amazing animals that are home to Australia and are very gentle. I have learned a lot from mylotters and your posts especially!
It is really interesting here. I like the fact that I am learning from 'ordinary' people similar to myself - and not from what might be distorted by movies or whatever.
@JudyEv good point what we write here should be true but movies can alter things or be biased etc.
great kangaroo. never seen one in person, we don't have them here in the USA
This is one of the big bucks. The does are quite a bit smaller.
I wanted to edit my previous comment but can't for some reason. The main photo is of a big buck. The other of a doe and joey in our garden.