Two Weeks And Two Days

My excitement is starting to build. We are down to two weeks and two days and then we're off on another adventure to work on our home in West Virginia. For those of you who don't know my daddy was in the Air Force. When I was a child we were stationed in West Virginia on a special assignment for five years. My daddy worked with the Civil Air Patrol there and did search and rescue when planes crashed in the mountains. My parents sold their home there in 1975 when he got stationed in Germany. I never forgot my West Virginia home and remained in touch with many of my friends. In 2003 my husband bought the home for me. It was the best gift in the world. The house was built in 1906 and was so full of memories from my childhood. It was also in great need of repair. For now we live in Mississippi and go up to West Virginia as often as we can to renovate our home. This time around we are having a sump pump and drainage system put in the basement . The downstairs is partially underground and can get damp after 111 years. We plan to move into it one day. I hope within the next decade. We have really enjoyed fixing it up. Do you enjoy working on your home ? Are any of you familiar with sump pumps ? I wonder if it will jump our electric bill. They say it's not on enough to make much of a difference. The photograph is of the back of the house.
I feel your excitement! We are lucky in that we've never needed a sump pump, but I know it's a necessary evil. I love working on our home. It's always a work in progress, but we hire people to do things.
We have done most of the renovations ourself. We are hiring a company for this particular job
@Tampa_girl7 That's wise. I know most of what you've done.
@DianneN we have been reading of each other's trips for several years
It is wonderful to hear that your husband is into this with you. How great is that?! Not familiar with sump pumps altho I have heard of them before. Hope it all goes well.
He fell in love with West Virginia on our first trip there together in 1998.
@Tampa_girl7 ......I have never been to any of the eastern or deep southern states.
@celticeagle and I have only been across the Mississippi to Texas
@RubyHawk (9644)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It's a beautiful place. I would enjoy fixing it up. We build two houses from the ground up. It was hard work but fulfilling.
It gives us joy watching the changes
It is a beautiful house. It will be nice when you get all the renovations done and you move in.
I can't wait
@louievill (13135)
Thats a beautiful old house, you are very lucky your husband bought it for you. I think the sump pump would only be made to run so long as water accumulates and would be there on stand by. Ask the contractors how to re water proof the basement after it had been sucked dry.
The system we are having installed will keep all water out the company has been around for decades.
We had a sump pump in the home we owned back when my kids were little. I don't think it made a difference in the electric bill since it only ran when it rained to keep the basement from flooding. How exciting for you. I enjoy seeing the pictures of how the renovation is coming along. Have fun!
@HazySue (10157)
I love the deck/porch on the house. That was extra thoughtful and sweet of your husband to buy it for you. I bet you just can't wait to get there and get it whipped into shape. What a wonderful labor of love.
Unfortunately the deck needs to be torn down and replaced
@HazySue (10157)
@Tampa_girl7 That's ok, you will have a safer one in it's place. And here I was picturing you and hubby sitting on that de3c in your rocking chairs.
@HazySue we have a porch on the front that we sit on.
@dragon54u (29824)
What a lovely house!! It looks a lot like the one I bought in 2007 in Ohio, which was built in 1924. In the attic one of the workers carved the year and his initials, bless his heart. Such a fine old house, so sturdy. Don't you feel that your old house has tons more quality and stability than today's flimsy ones? I loved my house but I'm no longer there and hopefully the tenants in it will buy it; they recently asked for a payoff amount because they might have financing, finally. I hope your house becomes your dream home.
@dragon54u (29824)
Oh, I forgot about the question!! The sump pump won't raise your electricity bill significantly. It will only kick in if there is water in the basement, right? Mine never went on, I had the basement water-proofed. Cost me a pretty penny but worth it.
@dragon54u we have never had experience with one
Yes I love it and the craftsmanship is something else. They really don't make them like this anymore.
Very lovely! Hope your plans for your home pushes through real soon.
Thanks
@Tampa_girl7 you are most welcome!
We have a sump pump...it only comes on a few times during heavy rain - so you are only using electric when it is actually pumping water out. Having one installed is not cheap - Our home had one when we bought it.
I know it is costing a small fortune.
@Tampa_girl7 It is worth it in the long run.
@HAPPSINGH (64891)
• Jalandhar, India
That would be nice, yeah its good to relive old days. Have a good day
Yes it is
@HAPPSINGH (64891)
• Jalandhar, India
@Tampa_girl7 Good morning, enjoy your day
I have no idea with the sump pump. Don't think that I've ever used one.
We haven't either
@Ronrybs (6919)
• London, England
Nice looking place, how much more work have you've got to put into it?
@Ronrybs We had to rebuild walls and ceilings, put in new windows, update electricity, gut the bathrooms and kitchen and start again. The kitchen is still a work in progress. We still need to refinish the oak floors and do some finishing touches upstairs. We are mostly working on the bottom floor now. The house had really not been taken care of at all. It stunk and was in horrid shape. Before we could even start working on it we had to haul all of the junk and trash out.
What a sweet man to buy you this home. And its a beautiful home, I hope that you are able to move in within the next decade. I actually do know a bit about sump pumps. Our last home was a rancher with a finished basement, so half of our home relied on the sump pump. There is a special little pump that you can buy to work in conjunction with your sump pump. It hooks up to the waterline and will allow the sump pump to work during a power outage as it will run off of the water pressure. I do not know the name of this pump, but you could research it. We just replaced the one in our home that we sold and had a plumber (because we were selling) install it. I do not think that it affected the hydro bill much, but a sump pump is a necessity quite often.
We will have that backup thing your talking about
West Virginia is really a beautiful state. People don't realize how much it has to offer. Sadly, I don;t know much about sump pumps!
Yes, West Virginia is a hidden gem to most people. Actually many people I know have never been .
@ChesneyM (6528)
Looks like a beautiful house there. Do you have to re-do the steps too? (Your husband is really doting on you isn't he? Lucky you!)
Yes, the back deck and steps need to be replaced.
I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and it 13 Rise building I don't believe in renovating or even having one due to the repair cost that I just don't have. It's nice seeing a beautiful homes all around the United States will window leak intake as a rock to break down your windows and you have to repair it I don't want. Hang up many people own homes who can't afford to heat their home in Winter I don't want that either. My aunt has a beautiful home in Florida. Say beautiful I mean beautiful inside and out. I was there for Hurricane Katrina and that hurricane almost wiped out my savings account. So home ownership is not for me but I am so glad you're happy about going to repair your home.
Hurricane Katrina really messed us up financially too
It is a lovely house - and a beautiful gift indeed.
We have had so much work to do on the inside that we haven't had time to fix the yard up, but everything is shaping up.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
That is pretty much the sweetest gift ever. How sweet of your husband.
I was blessed to meet him and now be married to him all these years he actually bought the house without going in it. He trusted me that much
That was so "romantic" that your husband bought the house because of all your memories there.