Do you agree: no mobile phone at school?

For the school administration, it will affect the schooling of the students. I am sure some parents are so disappointed for this kind of rule at school. "Could it possible to turn off the mobile phone while at school?" Since some students are too far from home and parents need to contact their children whereabout. Are students' mobile phone not allowed at school in your area? Image Credit: pixabay. com
Totally agree as i was constantly on my phone in 9th and 10th pth grade
I think there is no harm in using it. The school administration needs to have a rule to close the mobile phone while having classes.
@Shavkat but thats most of the time in school anyways is being in Classes.
@Courtlynn Yes, I agree.
@scheng1 (24970)
That is a bit extreme. They can change the rule to ensure that mobile phones are not in use in class. They can allow teachers to keep the mobile phones until the lessons end, and then return the phones to students during recess.
I thought it is like harsh for the students. I think there is a time for the students to use a mobile phone. I do agree that it doesn't need during the old days. But we are in the modern world now.
@scheng1 (24970)
@Shavkat Phones should not be used in class, but they can use it during their recess. Using phones in class mean that the students will not learn well, and they will affect the attention of those who want to learn.
@scheng1 It shouldn't be use in the class. You are right.
@ridingbet (32939)
actually, mobile phones should be switched off while inside the classroom. i tell that to my students in the area:"switch off your CP's". even during case colloquium, no cellphones should be on.
I agree. I think this is more advisable. I cannot comprehend why some schools need not to bring mobile phone in class.
@ridingbet (32939)
@Shavkat sometimes, students need to find the answers through the net, but for me, opening mobile phones while on duty or during case presentations, is definitely not allowed
@ridingbet I think it is a good practice.
@zarlamain (23642)
Yes, they are allowed at school in my area, but like most schools, students are required to turn them off when class is in session.
I think it is better to have that simple rule. You just need to turn off while having classes. I felt like the children's rights are violated.
@zarlamain (23642)
@Shavkat Exactly. It's a simple rule for the classroom.
@zarlamain It would be nice to have the rule but it shouldn't stop using outside the school premises.
Here no phones allow in the primary school. As to the high schools, they only allow simple phones rather than smartphones. The teachers will take them away if they see it. In my opinion, of course it is bad that some students use the phones in a wrong way. Such as they spend longer time on chatting, surfing or even playing the games. But on the other hand, phones have the advantages, too. It just depends on how you use it.
I heard that most schools in your country don't allow students to use a mobile phone. It is acceptable. I think it is best to turn off the mobile phone while having classes at school. This is the only way the parents can communicate with the students especially who are living in the dormitory.
@Shavkat The problem is the students don't follow the rules. They may just set it as the silent mode and they will use and play the cellphones in the schools. Sometimes they even use them in the class and this is why the schools don't allow smartphones.
@youless It will be possible. In your country, it is strict to follow this simple rule.
@Hate2Iron (7262)
That is a touch call. I can see some kids taking advantage of it... but there would be times when absolutely necessary!
That's what I am thinking. What if there are an emergency situation.
@diosabella (4846)
It should be banned. Most kids are way distracted during class when they have phone. And some are blatantly disrespectful using it while the teacher is discussing and disrupting classes too.
That is so morbid.lol I think it is better to impose not to use mobile phone at school.
@Shavkat I'm trying to be serious here for a change.
@diosabella Hahaha I thought you were making it as a half-joke.
@melissa1024 (2315)
• Beckley, West Virginia
Students here can have them but in our district well atleast the elementary school rules ( I'll find out the middle school rules on the subject next year) they are suppose to be turned off and in the childs backpack during class. If the student is caught with the phone out during any class time it will be taken away and the parent has to go to the principal to get it back. Personally, I do not see the need for children ages 5 to 11 needing a cell phone when school phones are at their disposal if they have an actual reason for making a call. But of course that's just my opinion and I'm one of the few that feel this way. My daughter and I stay in a constant battle over this one. LOL! I just feel an 11 year old has no reason for a phone when someone takes her and gets her everyday and she has use of the school phone.
I also think that primary level students don't need to have a mobile phone. You are on the right track of imposing this house rule if you may call it. At school, it is really big NO for that.
• Beckley, West Virginia
@Shavkat Exactly, no need for it. Really I think at school the phones would just cause a distraction. The kids would want to text, play games, or such.
@melissa1024 Sometimes I was thinking that modern gadgets became the virtual babysitter for the kids. If the parents were so busy and this is their alternative.
@Hari101 (1140)
• Chennai, India
Yeah, In my place students are not allowed to come with mobile phones. But some occasions like a farewell, cultural they are allowed to come with the phone. If parents want to talk they have to call to school admin number. Otherwise, they will have the chance to contact the student after the school time.
I think there is always a perfect time for the students to use a mobile phone. It can be a good way to learn the limitation.
@Hari101 (1140)
• Chennai, India
@Shavkat Yeah, in my place school are too strict and even some parents are not allowing their child to go with mobile phones.
@Hari101 I think there is nothing wrong about it, There are so many ways to the students or parents to talk to each other. It can still use school's phone.
@manasamanu (3757)
• Bangalore, India
Yeah Students are not allowed to carry mobile phones to school. That's strictly prohibited. We have all followed it. We never carried a cell phone to school.
I think that would be fine. No mobile phones at school premises. If they are out of the school, I think it is fine, right?
• Bangalore, India
@Shavkat Yeah out of the school its their wish.
@manasamanu They can still have the option of using outside the school.
@velvet53 (14493)
• Palisade, Colorado
I don't think phones need to be in schools. If a parent needs to get a message to their child they can call the school.
I agree. It is better to use the mobile phone once set off from school.
@velvet53 (14493)
• Palisade, Colorado
@Shavkat That is the way they used to do it. School is for learning not talking or texting on the phone.
@velvet53 I can't agree more. We should still impose limitations to students.
At my daughter's middle school, phones are not allowed to be used during school hours. If they are caught using it at all, it will be confiscated and the parents will have to come to the office to claim the phone back. If there is an emergency, the child can always go to the office to make a phone call. And of course if there is an emergency on the outside, the parent can call the school. Phones are such a huge distraction from the learning and social environment - I'm actually glad this rule is in place at our school.
I do agree on that. I was thinking if they can have classroom no using of mobile phone or no usage of it within the premises of the school. What if the student is out of school and the parents are worried about being late in specified time to be at home. I was just thinking.
@Shavkat Here, the kids cannot use their phones IN school, but they can certain keep their gadgets in their lockers for before and after school. Once school is over, they can go to their lockers and check their messages. My daughter only has a flip phone - and she knows to keep it in her locker. There have been times when I have texted her that we would be a little late in picking her up - but even without the phone, I know she stays in a safe place.
@much2say I think they have lockers to keep their mobile phones. In my country, the students don't have lockers. They can just turn off mobile phones and keep it to their pockets.
• Algeria
its really a big proplem nowadays.. students spend a lot of time on their phones wich will made them fail... i really agree with goverments to make this rule to take off phones in schools.
At some point, it is not advisable to let the students to bring at school.
• Algeria
@Shavkat yes it is not advisable..
As a general rule, I do agree with this. There could be exceptions. I see that there are instances that students may need to contact their parents or vice-versa but the school administrators can do that for both the parent and the student.
That is what I wanted to know. You have a point here.
@shynu44 (2560)
agreed, it will be distracting to the pupils
It can be the challenge for them to limit themselves from using mobile phone.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I am not sure but I think they can have phones here at school. Maybe not out in the classroom but they would not go to school without their phones lol. I believe they are a distraction for sure.
I agree it can a distraction if the mobile phone are not turned off. But I think it is fine not to use the gadget while in classes.
@Mass_Sonu (1050)
This is not a problem in India, as mobile phones are not allowed at primary stages of school (so far as I know). But, yes, they should not be allowed to be used. Only in exceptional cases, like you mentioned, public booths near to school are preferable.
I can't agree more. It is better to use the mobile phone outside school.
@nanette64 (11867)
• Fairfield, Texas
They should not be allowed @Shavkat , particularly in the classroom. They are an absolute distraction and kids think they can't "Live and Breathe" without them.
I agree. It should not be used in the classrooms.
• Pamplona, Spain
Its a really good idea and maybe they would concentrate on the Teacher like they are supposed to and be able to learn. Really it is for their own benefit after all said and done and if they want to get anyhere in life they have to learn something.
@dragon54u (31183)
Getting kids to turn off their phones is a constant battle in schools here. The public schools refuse to ban the phones. Why should parents have to contact children during school hours? Students are not learning as they should because they're on their phones all the time. If I had the power, I would go so far as to make it illegal for a child under the age of 18 to have a smartphone. They could have a phone to make and receive calls but that's it. And they would not work on school grounds. I'm sure we would see a surge in better grades and kids would eventually become more well rounded and interested in the world around them.