I Brake for Geese

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I went to the pool this morning - YEA! It felt great to be in the water once again. Two people asked where I've been for the last week, which I told them about the car, my wonderful car - dripping sarcasm. On the way home, a lonely goose decided to step into the oncoming path of my vehicle. I had to brake and swerve not to hit him. Silly goose. Or maybe not so silly, since he might know it's a crime to kill him as geese are protected and killing them would cause a hefty fine. So the goose is safe, and I even noticed the person behind me also needed to swerve a bit to avoid him. I've never seen a goose in that particular location before. Looks like I'm going to need to be on the lookout more for them. They really know how to stop traffic. Have you needed to wait for geese or other animals to cross the road before you could proceed on your way? Thanks for reading. Image by Pixabay
We get that often around here with the Geese and the ducks. We often have to stop for a mother duck to walk her babies across four lanes of traffic.
Fun isn't it? Sometimes watching them cross is so cute with the ducklings or goslings following behind.
@just4him yes it is some cute!!
I do not drive personally but I know people who have had to stop in particular areas of the island because there is actually a geese crossing zone here so we have to stop for the geese because it is against the law not too.
We don't have geese crossing zones, mostly because geese are everywhere. It's just the law you need to stop.
@CRK109 (14453)
I often had to brake for animals in the road during my driving years. I had a squirrel once who decided to sit in the road and not move for a little while. I finally had to put the car in park and get out of the car and then the squirrel got the hint and ran off.
@CRK109 (14453)
@just4him Yes, I have, too! Other motorists used to honk at me if I stopped for animals in the road, but I figured they just had to deal with me. I was not about to hit any animal if I could avoid it.
@CRK109 Me either.
@HazySue (14001)
I have when I lived up near the Canadian border. I also had to wait for cows, pigs, and what have you to cross. I don't mind I love watching them meander down the road. I brake for all animals.
I saw cows when my parents lived in the country when I was a kid. I do too. I almost came to a stop over a squirrel yesterday. Nobody was behind me for that one. It was a side road.
@HazySue (14001)
@just4him I can't bear the though of running over an animal if I can avoid it.
@HazySue Neither can I.
Hitting any animal, or person is a crime. Good thing you stopped
I swerved and went around him. Had I stopped the guy in back of me would have hit me.
@just4him ooh.. true.
that is why you have to be very careful.Never can tell the car behind react on this.You were lucky there.Otherwise it could have been a smash up
@just4him yes,this can happen
@valmnz (12531)
• New Zealand
Here it's ducks crossing the road and yes,, I always stop or slow down.
We have ducks too. It's good to give them the right of way.
@Hate2Iron (7152)
I think the funniest thing was waiting for a turtle to cross the road while in Florida. It certainly took it's time lol!
I'm sure it did. That would be funny and interesting to watch.
@UncleJoe (6967)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I have seen whole flocks walk into the street and sit down on the warm pavement. They act like cars are the intruders.
They do, don't they? That goose had that attitude that he had the right of way and everybody had to wait on him.
Oh yes, have had to wait for many geese to cross the road. They sure do take their time going from one side to another.
Yes they do.
I can remember it happening with horses, crossing the road.
That I've never seen.
Yes, it happens a good bit out here in the country.
I'm sure it does.