Is Patience a problem of the elderly?

@CRK109 (13652)
I've always been pretty good at having patience. And I remember my mother, as she was in her 80s and 90s, having NONE! One day while we were at CVS, she began cutting people in the line because she could not wait one more second to get her prescriptions and go back home! She wasn't even 5 feet tall and while some people would let her get away with that, I would remind her that other people should be allowed to have their place in line, too! Well, I'm not in my 80s, but I'm finding that, while patience is a virtue, I'm losing mine I suddenly want everything to happen immediately, and if it doesn't, I can very easily go into a panic attack. And I don't know why? Is it the whole "getting older" thing? Is it because I'm alone so much? Whatever is causing it, I'm very aware of it, I don't like it, and I really don't know how, or even if I can change it. But I don't want to be one of those people who drives others crazy because I've suddenly lost my patience and things aren't happening as I want them to. I'm second guessing myself in a lot of things right now because of this, and backing off of situations. Any thoughts on this? Not just about me but patience in general. Thanks! Claudia
• Denmark
It's understandable, isn't it? Time is running out and old people don't want to waste it waiting in line.
@CRK109 (13652)
That's what I was thinking, yes.
• Cyprus
If I didn't have patience before, my children sure taught me how to have plentiful of it now. They are the best in pushing you to your limits. And not only them, but I have dealt with ridiculous situations with immigration from my country in regards to my husband's papers, so, waiting in line with 2 screaming kids is nothing unusual for me. I am guessing that as one's personal health is declining (as in most of the cases of the elderly) it can actually become rather painful to wait in line. Don't be fooled, just because they don't complain that doesn't mean they are not in some form of suffering. Try to keep yourself busy while waiting. And think that there are worse things in the world. You could be 80 right now.
@CRK109 (13652)
I do always try to remind myself that there are worse things out there. Doesn't always help but it gives me something to ponder. Thanks!
I am an extremely patient person. If I have to wait in line, I pass the time reading.
Having said that , there should be special lines for the elderly - I have seen them in banks and other business places.
@Kandae11 I think that's a great idea. I wish we had an advantage like that here
@Marilynda1225 Even the not so elderly attempt to make use of those lines sometimes - which is unfair because on other occasions they wouldn't want to be identified as an elderly person.
Losing patience has all to do with one's health
@AkoPinay (8417)
Agree. I noticed people with illness young or old becomes impatient even me
@CRK109 (13652)
If it's true that losing patience has to do with one's health, how would yoga help? Does yoga improve health? I'm very confused.
@CRK109 Yoga and meditation will certainly help
I don't think patience has anything to do with age...more with personality - I have no patience, never did even as a kid.
@CRK109 (13652)
That's something to ponder. Because I was a lot more patient when I was younger. And I suppose my personality may have changed over time. I guess we all change in ways we don't even realize!
@CRK109 I have not changed. I'm still patience-less!
I've never been patient, but there are some things that I have more than enough patience for those areas I lack in. Okay, not an answer. I have seen a lot of elderly people with no patience, so I wonder if it is an age thing. You might want to try spending more time praying, and not for patience, you will lose it in a hurry, but for a calmer more peaceable attitude, and you just might find that patience you are looking for.
@CRK109 (13652)
What I've been doing lately is just talking with God about my gratitude and asking Him for His help and guidance. I know that God knows what I'm going through and while I can't always put into words what I might need, with God, I don't think I really have to. So I just pray that He will help me get through. Lately, I have been praying a lot more. I find that praying the rosary calms me down a lot.
@CRK109 I just finished reading The Battle Plan for Prayer this morning. It takes prayer to a whole new level for me. My prayer time has exploded. God wants us to pray. He wants to know what's on our heart, even when we know he knows. He wants us to articulate it to him. I know there is the scripture that says, "Before you ask, I will answer." In times of desperate need, you will often find the answer right there. God taking care of things before we knew there was a problem. That's how urgent the situation is for God to act so quickly on our behalf. However, that is not always the case. Jesus prayed deliberate prayers for his disciples. He said he prayed for Peter because Satan wanted to sift him like wheat. He knows our needs. He wants to hear us articulate them back to him. Do not just assume that God is going to answer your prayers because he knows your situation. He wants to hear from you about your situation and how important it is to you.
The older I get the less patience I have when I have to wait for problems to be resolved. I want things fixed immediately now.
@CRK109 (13652)
That's exactly how I'm becoming. And it's frustrating because the world doesn't run on my time clock! lol
@dragon54u (30267)
I don't know about you but at my age (63) I've seen enough bull crap and stupidity that I know how things should be and I am impatient with those who don't realize how right I am. I find myself more patient with children and a lot less patient with adults who should have at least half a brain but usually don't. I don't mind waiting in line but I do mind it if the cashier or other personnel is holding people up by talking on a phone or chatting up a customer. I think we lack patience as we get older because we have seen so much bull crap.
@CRK109 (13652)
I do agree with you there. I'm only 2 years older than you and yes, I've seen too much of that, as well. It comes down to lack of respect in so many places. thanks so much for your perspective!
@FourWalls (6178)
When you hit a certain age you realize your time left on earth is dwindling and you don't want to spend it in line! No I haven't reached that age.....yet......
@CRK109 (13652)
Mom had definitely reached that point. And given time and a little bit of wisdom, I really do get it now.
this is something you need to talk it over with your doctor.Do you take anxiety pill ?
@CRK109 (13652)
No, nothing for anxiety. I have depression medication only.
@CRK109 Oh!well is this working for you?
@CRK109 (13652)
@amadeo It does help my depression very well. But anxiety is something completely different. And I really don't want to spend the rest of my life being managed with medication. I'd rather find a better way to calm myself down during those times when I begin to panic.
@Ronrybs (7067)
• London, England
I think patience depends on what we are waiting for... probably.
@CRK109 (13652)
You mean like Christmas presents? No patience whatsoever! How about you?
@Ronrybs (7067)
• London, England
@CRK109 I have now, sometimes I forget to open any Chrissie prezzies until Boxing Day!
@nanette64 (9803)
• Fairfield, Texas
I 'use' to have a fair amount of patience @CRK109 but at 66, it has diminished but it does depend on the situation.
@CRK109 (13652)
Seems that you and I share this kind of experience at about the same age. One thing I did learn from Mom is that even while she was being impatient, she kept looking around at people and smiling! I think that's why they often let her get away with things! lol
@nanette64 (9803)
• Fairfield, Texas
@CRK109 Exactly. My wit and smile overturns any opposition.
I realize that I am less patient now that I am getting older. I try not to show, but sometimes I feel that I am ready to burst.
@CRK109 (13652)
I can get that way, too, sometimes. That's when I come into my apartment and just try to disappear from everyone for a little while. That way I don't say something I shouldn't, and people don't think I've lost my mind! lol
@CRK109 I know that the time left is no more as much as I had when I was young and I hate to waste my time waiting.
I think it depends on different people's personality. But I tend to think that elders will have better patience than the youngs.
@CRK109 (13652)
I've never heard of elders having more patience but I would love for that to be the case with me!
@CRK109 I can see that when we have our own children. They always think we are not patient to our children Actually I don't really agree with them. They just spoil the children and it is not good.
@nomus24g (12122)
you are somehow correct...the patience level can be increased by practicing Yoga...
@CRK109 (13652)
well then that's what I need to try. thank you!
@nomus24g (12122)
@CRK109 it helps...
@JESSY3236 (3927)
While I was at the hairdressers with my mother. She was having her haircut. An elderly woman with a walker was in hurry to get out of there. Her daughter, I think, told her to wait so she could pay for the hair appointment. I'm bad with patience too.
@CRK109 (13652)
This discussion has been a great learning experience for me! I'm learning how not to be around others as time ticks away. lol
@junmae (1590)
Loosing patience is very common in the elderly especially those who have lots of regrets in life. We need to understand them deeply so we will not loose respect to them because we also became irritated with their attitude. I have encountered a lot of grumpy old men and women but i just think that life might not be easy for them that's why they diverted it to others.
@CRK109 (13652)
That makes a lot of sense to me, Mae. I think you're right about this in so many cases. We never know what life is going to throw at us, so when we get near the end of our lives, I suppose we could become irritated with those around us when, in fact, we are really irritated with ourselves. I need to remember this so I don't become one of those grumpy people!
I have learned patience.
@CRK109 (13652)
Can you please tell me how?
I can get impatient about some things but generally I have a decent amount of patience except waiting on lines (my knees rebell) don't necessarily know if impatience is age related
@CRK109 (13652)
I know about knees rebelling! lol But that's a whole other story!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I just think the population in general don't have patience anymore.
@CRK109 (13652)
I've never thought of it that way. And I certainly don't want to be like everyone else! lol