DUI: Have you ever driven a vehicle under the influence??

Pixabay, public domain, crash
@CoralLevang (25263)
Driving under the influence (DUI) has been illegal for as long as I can remember. If I am honest, I have to admit that I have gotten behind the wheel of car when I should not have. Thankfully, it did not end poorly. Now, for those who might be smugly "Tsk...tsking" that I have ever drunk alcohol and then gotten behind the wheel of a car to drive, you may want to take a look in the mirror before you cast blame too harshly. Why? Because you may get a DUI here in my state should you get behind the wheel of a car. Here in the state of Washington, our state legislature passed a bill (Senate Bill 5289), which is now on its way to Governor Inslee's desk so that it can be signed into law. The DUI of Electronics Act will prohibit any vehicle driver of holding any electronic device, including tablets, phones, and other electronic devices. This will include driving, being in traffic, or stopped at a traffic light. Of course, there may be some exceptions to the new rule, such as calling for an emergency responder. If cited for a first violation, the fine will be $136. A second or third offense (and beyond could be $100 on top of the base fine. Though this is a bill that has passed here in Washington, I believe this will become the standard across the country within a few years. Though the violators do not fall into any one particular age category, I believe that if this isn't nipped in the bud sooner than later, this will become an even bigger problem in future years. The younger drivers that are coming of age now grew up using electronic devices since being toddlers. I will admit also that I have used my phone in my vehicle. But I see that it is just as dangerous as having a drink and getting in the car. And this law being passed is necessary, and I will abide by it. So, tell us the truth: Have you ever driven a vehicle while under the influence? Remember, DUI does not only mean alcohol.
@crossbones27 (11224)
• Redlands, California
It might has well be the same thing and that is a good law. I bet many more people text and talk on the phone than drink and drive. Some do both and find it funny the disdain people have for drinking and driving, but meanwhile text and what not while driving.
@CoralLevang (25263)
Oh, how I agree with you.
Did I ever drive drunk? Yes...too many times. As far as I can remember I never had an accident and always made it home wondering how I did so. This was in my party days long long ago. I have not had a drink since 1985.
@CoralLevang (25263)
Driving Under the Influence is a lot more than drunk. That's what I was trying to say in the article itself
@CoralLevang (25263)
@AbbyGreenhill exactly. A couple of years ago I read an article in a newspaper about a man who was cited for a rather serious accident. When the First Responders came to get him out of the wreckage, it was discovered that his pants were unzipped and his "junk" was unsheathed. Need I say more?
@CoralLevang (25263)
@AbbyGreenhill yes, he was the only one in the vehicle! Haha I think he was loving himself.
I don't drink, so no driving under the influence. I don't own any such devices, so no issue there. I applaud your state passing that law and it should become the standard across the country as it's getting out of hand and more common than DUI.
@CoralLevang (25263)
But this is called the DUI Electronic Act
@CoralLevang I like the concept of being under the influence of a device which just about says it all about today's tech obsessed society.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
I got a DUI back in 1987, and learned a very expensive lesson. I'm glad they are doing this. Every state should.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
@CoralLevang - Sometimes, I'm glad I don't drive anymore.
@CoralLevang (25263)
@teamfreak16 if I did not live where I do, and I were in the city, I would sell my car and not Drive Very Much Anymore.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
@CoralLevang - Sometimes I wish I still had a vehicle, but not often.
I don't have a cell phone so I have never done that but I see it every day. The fines here $172.50 in addition to losing three points from their license but it doesn't stop people from using their cells and driving.
@CoralLevang (25263)
Those are pretty hefty fines. And they do nothing to deter? Have there been studies about that? I would think that finds and losing points would give people cause to think twice. What do you think would make people take notice?
@CoralLevang I really don't know what it would be. I know people who have been caught a number of times and still do it. They really enforce it too but it still doesn't stop people. They just don't seem to care. The only way they might change is if they had an accident other then that they just think nothing of it.
@CoralLevang (25263)
@Happy2BeMe when somebody ends up in jail for killing someone else because they were driving under the influence of something. That's when it'll change... Maybe
No never! I don't like to drink.
@CoralLevang (25263)
This post was not only about drinking.
Yes! No never applies to the driving under the influence. Because I don't drink so I won't ever drive under the influence. But I'm the designated driver!
@Happy2BeMe Thank you! That's weird. I didn't see that paragraph when I read it. My apologies @CoralLevang My car has a hands free option that I use and you could also see text messages and respond a generic response from the option. Occasionally I use the GPS feature and have my phone on the vent adapter thing so I don't use my phone when driving. Here you'll be ticketed if caught!
@nanette64 (10260)
• Fairfield, Texas
Almost every night during my Go-Go days @CoralLevang . Never got a ticket as when I left the nightclub, I put my brain on auto-pilot.
@CoralLevang (25263)
It's amazing that we can do things and not get into trouble with them. But all it takes is just that one text and it can change your life forever. Or that one drunk driving or fill in the blank
@nanette64 (10260)
• Fairfield, Texas
@CoralLevang Boy ain't that the truth. I know for a fact that I have had more lives than a cat.
@nanette64 (10260)
• Fairfield, Texas
@CoralLevang Scary, ain't it? Especially nowadays.
No I haven't ever driven drunk, and I don't use my phone in the car. I honestly don't understand people who can't leave their phone alone for the duration of the trip. I honestly think there should be much harsher consequences for people who cause an accident due to being on their phone.
@CoralLevang (25263)
I think these types of legislation are the first step to that very same thing happening.
@CoralLevang let's hope so. We just recently had to watch a friend bury his wife and one of his children because some jerk decided his text was more important than the road. So I feel pretty strongly about it.
@CoralLevang (25263)
@LittleBard I am so sorry to hear this about your friend.
@PainsOnSlate (17909)
My kids has an attachment to their cars so they can use the cell phone without using their hands, its like talking tot he guy sitting beside you. I think that is brilliant.psychedelic 60s. I have driven in the past after drinking but I didn't feel drunk, if stopped I wonder if I would pass the test.. I don't take the chance anymore.
@CoralLevang (25263)
There are so many things of which we can be under the influence! And yes those things that we put the phones on our great for talking. But the texting part is the thing that has gotten really out of hand more so than the talking. We have Bluetooth for hands-free. But we can't text that way that I know of... and yes, I think I'd be afraid to know what I would blow on one of those tests from some of the things that I've done in the past
@CoralLevang Thankfully my kids lose the text while driving unless someone is in the vehicle with them. I followed a woman who was texting and driving and she was all over the road. At that moment I wished I had a cell phone set up in my car, i would have called 911. I followed her the whole way home, she lives a few blocks from me, I wanted to stop and tell her how bad that looked but I didn't have the guts.
@CoralLevang (25263)
@PainsOnSlate I would have called the cops anyway after I followed her home. Maybe it would have scared the hell out of her
@SonjaRae (1521)
@CoralLevang Here in Oklahoma they call it "Distracted Driving", and it encompasses and covers everything and anything that distracts you! Eating while driving, shaving while driving, looking at a map, texting and so on. We are allowed however to use "hands-free" devices, such as Bluetooth, for talking on the phone.
@CoralLevang (25263)
They have had that here, too, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I am still seeing people putting on their makeup while driving. *rme*
@SonjaRae (1521)
@CoralLevang *hate to admit it*, but there was a time, back in my 20's and 30's where I may have done some really stupid things as well. I am thankful that I didn't cause property or bodily injury to myself, or others.
@CoralLevang (25263)
@SonjaRae yes, we were very lucky. And how I was so lucky, I don't know.
I woud say yes, but I usually limit my driving under the influence of electronics to be stopped at redlights or in traffic jams.
@CoralLevang (25263)
So, in Washington state that will be something that would get you a big Hefty fine. Would the threat of that happening change your behavior?
@CoralLevang Hmm..not likely, I would probably look for cops first though!
@CoralLevang (25263)
@snowy22315 I appreciate your honesty here.
@KrauseHome (31340)
I am sure when you really look at things from this stand point, there are very few who can honestly truthfully say that they never have, and never will, It amazes me still how many still text and drive. Just wonder what sort of norm they will set up for people in driving professions such as Taxi, Uber, Lyft etc drivers with this? But at least not their are ways where everything can be automated from a screen now in your car,
@CoralLevang (25263)
I think the new law is going to require that if a phone is on in your vehicle that it is sitting is on the dashboard animal only be allowed for GPS. I think they're going to have a hard time regulating things, because you're not going to be able to listen to music on it or something I can't remember all the bill reads
@ridingbet (28403)
no, i have never tried driving under the influence. also, when my phone rings, i always find a place to park, and read or answer the call.
@CoralLevang (25263)
Very wise lady!
That law has been here for quite a while. Our fine is about. $174. I think. Not high enough as people still talk on the phone. I do when I am on our country road. No other cars within miles. Still shouldn't I suppose.
@CoralLevang (25263)
And I have done so a lot. More so, I put everything on speaker but it's still distracted driving
@UncleJoe (6771)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
When I was young, (but old enough to drink), I once drove about 4 miles to home on an ice-covered road. You can imagine how difficult that was. I made it but swore by my CDL (Commercial Driver's License) that I would never take that risk again, and I haven't.
@CoralLevang (25263)
I can tell you that there were a few stupid things in life that I've done. I will probably right about one of them that I'm thinking about in the morning. I'm glad you weren't hurt!
They shouldn't be doing anything else except DRIVE. in fact, they should drink before driving, and only water.