A New Smartphone

My husband bought me a smartphone yesterday. He tried to show me how to use it last night. I accidentally called a co-worker. I guess it will just take a couple days of getting used to it. I was able to text my husband. It wasn't hard. But I liked my little other phone. The keyboard slid out of the side. All I plan on doing with the smartphone is the same with my other phone mostly. Calling and texting. I might use the camera on this one. I'm not interested in having the internet on it or anything.
@PainsOnSlate (18576)
My kids use their for texting because its free, I still don't have a cell phone, but it won't be a smartphone when I get one, I just want it for the car...
• Midland, Michigan
wow, you don't have either one yet, a smartphone nor a dumb phone as I like to call mine. I've had one for over ten years but they are helpful when running a business. My sister has one just for emergencies for her car also. Kids, unfortunately, for the most part don't like to talk on the phone or in person so being able to text is the next best thing for them.
I like the Sonic commercial when the 'dumb' guy says, "I have a smart phone and use it everyday but it hasn't made me any smarter." Mine is in the drawer - I don't use it no one has my number - it's for emergency only.
@AbbyGreenhill My phone is rarely by my side. At work it's in my purse in a drawer. If I hear a text, I'll see who it is. At home, my purse is in the spare room and I don't check the phone hardly at all when home.
I think that I am just 1 drop away (I am always dropping my cell it seems) from needing a new one. Hopefully that won't happen any time soon, good luck with getting onto the changes with your new phone.
@Juliaacv I only plan to text, call and maybe use the camera at least for a while. Not interested in having the internet or anything like that on it.
Same hear - I use the camera on mine and the whatsApp mostly.
@alberello75 (11117)
• Genova, Italy
With smartphones, internet normally should already be Integrated into your plan. At least so is in italy. However you are the first person for me by overseas to calling "Smartphone". Normally, from all your compatriots I see writing "cell phone"
@alberello75 I had a regular cell phone. This one is a smartphone.
@alberello75 (11117)
• Genova, Italy
@Susan2015 Ok, thank you, now I understood
I never use the internet on mine either. I use mine the same way you use the one you have now. I do like taking photos with the phone.
@Corbin5 Yes, I think that I will like taking photos of the dogs and maybe horses too as we go by them.
@HazySue (15184)
I have a new smartphone that I am trying to get used to slowly. I didn't pay for internet either. It does tae a while to get used to the phone itself before you venture out into the world of internet.
Having a new gadget that's different from what we used to be tinkering takes awhile getting used to.
It does take awhile to learn how to use a new gadget. You'll soon get the hang of it.
• Midland, Michigan
The internet is probably available whether you use it or not for that. Id does come in handy if you ever want to check your bank balance before shopping and you're not home at the time. I have yet to get a smartphone but if and when I do I will take to it like a duck to water. I don't like my current phone, but the price is right for us at this point in our lives especially since we will now owe monthly for the purchase of our newer to us used van. Maybe six months into next year after we've paid things down a while once I get my social security benefits I can afford the payments for a smartphone. Has Bernie had one all along?
@MarshaMusselman Yes he's had a smartphone for a long time. Mine was $20 so I thought that was a good price. Plus the sim card was another $20. This phone will last me for a few years hopefully.
• Midland, Michigan
@Susan2015 Was he able to add it to his plan or are you doing a prepaid plan?
@MarshaMusselman It took the place of my old phone. We have three phones on the plan. It's the Family Mobile plan from Walmart. It's not expensive. No contracts.
When I got my first smartphone I was completely lost. Told my husband it was too complicated for me to figure out. He played with it for a couple of days and then showed me how to use it. I would be lost without it.
@ElusiveButterfly I am mostly lost with it at the moment. I accidentally called three different people so far!
@Susan2015 I pocket call so many people. I'll hear voices coming from my pocket.
@ElusiveButterfly That happened to me sometimes with my old phone.
I just got a smartphone too and it didn't take long to get the hang of it
@Marilynda1225 Yes, it's not too hard to get the hang of it.
You have to get used to a new cell phone. I did not like my new one when I got it a year ago.
@jstory07 I am getting used to it.
@responsiveme (12632)
welcome to the the world of smart phones...I got mine a couple of months back and am still making mistakes on it....I hate the auto correct
@responsiveme I don't think I'll like that feature much either.
@RubyHawk (18917)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I'm not interested in a cell phone either other than texting or calling in an emergency. I wouldn't even have one otherwise.
I prefer my flip phone. I hope that you will enjoy your new phone.
@CRK109 (14410)
When I first got my smartphone, I accidentally called people all the time! You'll get used to it all. And it really is nice having that camera on the phone. Mine has come in handy for times like accidents, to quickly take a few pictures just in case you need them for something important! Best of luck with your new phone!
@mom210 (5817)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I still do not have one, I am electronically challenged, just not very good at catching on to any of it. I have an old flip pay as you go for when I am away form the kids
• Lakewood, Colorado
You could use it for some shopping coupons maybe? So nice you got a new phone Susan. I have never had a smartphone. That was really nice of Bernie.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
I remember my husband thinking the same as you, but before long he started using his smart phone for more than I do!