Can You Believe What You Overhear?

Marion, Kansas
I went to Dollar General after work on Wednesday. As I checked out, one customer greeted another, and asked how she was doing. The first customer said she was doing well, she had just lost 64 pounds in three weeks. I very subtly did a double take. To have lost that much weight in that short of a time would make me look sick, although I have about that much to lose. She attributed her loss to a popular diet she ordered off a dating site. She did not look sick, or overly wasted away. I will not give a free plug to the diet, though. I am not sure I believed her. She drew attention to the fact she was buying a cake mix. She said she thought she needed to eat something because she had lost so much weight. I looked up the named diet, online, and the cake mix would not fit it at all. IF she did indeed lose 64 pounds, I predict it will be back on rapidly. In the past I have lost a lot of weight, rapidly, on an extreme diet, while exercising. Unfortunately, I did not develop a new lifetime way of eating. A sustained weight loss involves a new way of eating and exercising, in my opinion. I am not sure that I can believe the things I overhear.
I would be doubtful if I overheard that! One would have to be lost at sea for three weeks, and even then I wonder if 64 pounds would be lost.
• Marion, Kansas
I once had an undetected kidney infection and lost a total of fifty pounds in a couple of months, but I felt horrible. I even felt horrible for a long time after I got well.
@GardenGerty That does sound horrible to get over!
• Marion, Kansas
@Lupita234 Yes, it is too much in the wrong way.
• Midland, Michigan
If she really did that diet to lose that weight it seems quite stupid for her to purposely buy a cake to feel better. I'm guessing something she said wasn't the truth. My sister-in-law has been trying to lose weight for over twenty years and finally found something that works for her. She's been at it for several months now and really looks awesome. She's doing the 21-day fix. She purchased small containers from amazon possibly made for that diet and precuts all her food choices. Then she sticks with what she has planned on eating. I had to leave earlier to clean windows and wanted to say more. Looks like I beat you back here. She even stuck with her eating plan on Easter and only ate what she'd prepared for herself. I planned on looking at her food to see how much she could eat but forgot all about it that day. I considered trying it out too, but once I go back to work I'm sure I won't take the necessary time to cut everything up into portion sizes often enough.
• Marion, Kansas
I have a friend that I have known almost fifty years, we roomed together at college. Her frame is like a barrel even when she is slim. She has been doing something called the 20/30 Fastrack and has lost fifty pounds, but it has been four months. She looks vibrant and healthy. It is about making right food choices.
• Midland, Michigan
@Lupita234 Who are you directing this comment toward, sir? Are you talking about the person that Heather overheard and that this post is about or the person Heather just mentioned in the comment above yours, or my friend? Hopefully you're talking about the person this post is about? If that was your intent, did you know if you hit the respond button next to the like right under the post that you can comment regarding the post directly to the author? Then there would be no question about who you're referring to.
• Marion, Kansas
@Lupita234 It could be that the lady I overheard lies. My friend does not lie and gives references to how she and her husband are doing this and he has gotten off almost all his medication, from the fasttrack diet.
64 pounds in 3 weeks can be very very dangerous and I am not ready to believe that it is even possible.
• Marion, Kansas
I just wonder if she meant to say three months. It is still a lot.
@GardenGerty It is still a lot, with a strict diet people usually can lose around 10/12 pounds per month. I think she only was a liar.
@Lupita234 Why should she suffer a seizure? At most she can faint if she eats nothing for days.
Why would she want to cook up that story?
• Marion, Kansas
Maybe for attention.
@GardenGerty I can believe that.
@JESSY3236 (4885)
Yeah that's too fast to lose weight.She should have pick some healthier than a cake.
• Marion, Kansas
Either she meant to say three months or she had gallons of water weight or she is not telling the truth .
That would be a crazy way to lose weight. Not sensible (it if is true). Would not do this for sure.
• Marion, Kansas
I agree. I think maybe she meant to be saying three months.
A rapid loss to that extent would be a bit dangerous...not saying it would be impossible, but...
It's unbelievable that she lost 64 Lbs in 3 weeks. I don't think that is even possible with her looking just fine as well. Anyone with that rapid weight loss will certainly look weak and dull. I wish I could get that magical diet, if at all, it exists. And that sure says it that we should not believe on the things we overhear.
• Marion, Kansas
I think there is a mistake somewhere. I find that the diet is for sale as a digital download. and I suspect someone is getting rich.
I only believe a small percentage of what I overhear LOL With that said, if I lost that much weight I would treat myself to cake and ice cream.
• Marion, Kansas
I would try to manage to lose the weight while indulging in small, but regular treats.
Sounds like a case of a diet fad with weight yo-yos... the type that comes back again and again.
• Midland, Michigan
Especially if she continues to treat herself with bad food choices in between times.
• Marion, Kansas
I read about the diet, it is pretty simple and not faddish. I am doubting what she is telling others and herself. I could believe three months, and maybe she meant that. I would not let a large weight loss be my reason for eating junk food. If I want something that is off the diet, I will eat it because I want it then go back to healthier choices.
@GardenGerty point taken. Perhaps, it was an honest mistake on her part and she really meant three months instead of three weeks. Agree with you further, you can't out train a bad diet.
@spiderdust (2710)
• San Jose, California
Sixty-four pounds lost in 3 weeks? I call shenanigans. I don't even think someone would lose that much in 3 weeks with surgery.
• Marion, Kansas
Or with a life threatening illness. I wonder if she meant three months
• San Jose, California
@GardenGerty I hope so! I know I've certainly grabbed the wrong word sometimes. Three months would certainly be more realistic.
• Marion, Kansas
@spiderdust But still an awful lot. I do have a friend I have known for almost forty years that has lost fifty pounds since the first of the year. She is learning to eat differently and has always been active. I have seen the pictures and can tell the difference.
That had o have been a lie. But if not.. congratulations to her..
• Marion, Kansas
A lie, or confusion on her part. i just think any permanent weght loss needs knowledge to back it i
@GardenGerty theres never a permanent weight loss thing. You have to continue doing things like diets, exercise. Thats why i dont believe it. Lol
@HazySue (16569)
Like you I believe that she would look weak and sickly if she lost that much weight in that little amount of time. It would be very unhealthy to lose weight that quickly. I wouldn't believe a word.
• Marion, Kansas
Yeah, and I do not know her, so do not know if she commonly exaggerates
@HazySue (16569)
@GardenGerty it certainly sounds like she is about her weight loss.
• Lakewood, Colorado
That is impossilbe to lose that much weight in that short of a time lol And buying cake mix..hmm sounds very suspicious too.
• Marion, Kansas
She looked to be a nice comfortable size for her height and age. I hope she is healthy.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@GardenGerty Well good she looks good
@sueznewz2 (9333)
• Alicante, Spain
I agree with you... it doesn't sound like a very good way to loose weight, I think it's good to do your own research about these things...you can't just believe what other people tell you, in tgese circumstances.
• Marion, Kansas
I find that just moving more, eating less is the best for me.
@marsha32 (6780)
It would be extremely unhealthy to lose that much weight in that short of a time.
• Marion, Kansas
I know, and she really did not look that bad.
@boiboing (12524)
• Northampton, England
Perhaps she had both her legs cut off. That's the only way I can imagine somebody could drop that much weight that quickly.
• Marion, Kansas
Nope, she was walking about. That is a solid thought, though.
@crossbones27 (14884)
• Redlands, California
Some of those diets can be very unhealthy. You are smart to be wary of her story and the diet program. Society just wants everything now.
• Marion, Kansas
About thirty years ago I was on a very strict diet but did not lose that quickly. I also did not learn anything and did not keep the weight off.
You can't always believe what you hear of course. Everyone loses weight differently though. I have to say people that know me in person know my diet secret is getting pregnant! Seriously! Most people would think I was lying but truly after I give birth I get more thin than I was before I got pregnant! Crazy, right? But very true!! Most women gain weight and have a hard time losing it after having a baby-not the case for me and I am grateful I'm so lucky. =)
• Marion, Kansas
I have a real world acquaintance who has done the same, with five kids. I believe you.
That 64-pound loss in three weeks definitely is something I would not believe. Hopefully, she meant 3 months, and even that is stretching it a bit, unless she were morbidly obese.
• Marion, Kansas
I hope she was mistaken or exaggerating. She looked a nice average size there in the store.