MyLot: Commenting without reading?

@CoralLevang (34448)
There are many discussions that we can find here on myLot. Some are as simple as a few sentences on what we ate for dinner. There are others that may be several paragraphs, however, that may be discussing real issues. Of course, there are yet other posts that ramble on without saying much of anything. I am quite sure that I have written things that would fall in each of these three categories. Then, there are the comments. Some people will respond to a post after giving it much thought. You can tell when someone has read the post and is genuinely interested in the discussion. There are others who seemingly read only the title and then comment based on what they think the discussion covers, not reading beyond the first line. If people were having a face-to-face discussion, this would fall into the category of speaking having not listened to what the other had to say. My mother used to call it "speaking just to hear yourself talk." Technology allows us to communicate in a way that allows us to reach far-beyond the noses on our faces. It gives us opportunities to dig deeper to gather more information. It can pave the road for us to learn and grow, if only we pay attention and are curious enough to ask questions. How one comments on another's posts is just as telling as the discussions themselves about any one of us, as communicators. Whether speaking in person or corresponding in a discussion, is it important to try to understand what someone else is trying to convey? Or have we become a society that is only interested in "sound bites" and a quick fix?
Sometimes you can leave a short comment that may not be too deep but that doesn't mean you didn't read the entire post and grasp it. Yes, we do live in a quick fix sound bite world. Both here and on Persona Paper, people complained my posts were too long. A 400 word movie review too long? 400 words is nothing. That's shorter than a newspaper review. The world is being boiled down to two sentences filled with text abbreviations.
Well said. I write for a bog for real actual money and the requirement is 350 words but not to go too much over since people stop reading at a certain point. Life it to short to begin with and at my age time is running short.
@CoralLevang (34448)
@JohnRoberts it's an interesting phenomenon, what communication has become. @AbbyGreenhill it really is about that balance that was mentioned the other day. Maybe that's my problem, I'm so imbalanced that I care! Haha
@CoralLevang Well, the older I get I only care about nuclear war and if I run out of lifetime movies.
Several users never read a line, they read the title and the last line and this is enough for them to leave a comment. If I am not interesting in something I start to read I skip. I see no reason to leave a comment if there is nothing to discuss, of if the post is a nonsense post. My mother also said "speaking just to hear yourself talk."
@CoralLevang (34448)
Perhaps our mothers were sisters in another life? Haha I agree with you on not leaving comments, if I have nothing to say. If I'm not interested at least somehow in the article and have nothing to contribute to the discussion, then I may give it a like, to show that I've been there and read it.
@CoralLevang This is what I do if there is nothing to say, I give a like, after all we took the time to open the discussion.
@CoralLevang (34448)
@LadyDuck exactly
The ability to comprehend the written word has been compromised by technology. Comprehending text of more than a few sentences has become a struggle for many. Technology has information coming our way in short bits at a rapid pace.
@CoralLevang (34448)
I can appreciate when it's done and what it can do, but I don't appreciate laziness another human being or when they they are only out for themselves. When you're on a site that calls for discussion, I see that as conversation. It's not just a thumbs up when somebody writes
@CoralLevang I agree. I do think far too many are too concerned about their own dear selves and give little thought to the effort made by others.
@CoralLevang (34448)
@Corbin5 that's what life seems to have become. Not just here, but this is a reflection of it that we see everyday
@JESSY3236 (4535)
I do read the posts. I think it was on other site I won't name where someone posted a post asking a question to see if the people were actually reading the post.
@CoralLevang (34448)
I would never post one question to completely throw somebody off. I've used words very carefully and people come up with ideas on their own but I don't try to slip people up.
And then Scar, he winked at me and said "If she only knew"
@CoralLevang (34448)
Well, if you are one that comments on my posts without reading, then you are smarter than I gave you credit for. *laughs* You always make sense to me, @JolietJake ! But then, maybe I'm "myLotting under the influence."
@CoralLevang I am about to be under the influence of lasagna
@CoralLevang (34448)
@JolietJake save the edges for me. I like more of that crunchy stuff and not the creamy cheesy Stuff
@Nawsheen (22907)
• Mauritius
I agree with you. Sometimes you get responses which do not relate to the discussion too. I agree that we earn by responding to discussions but if we are on myLot it is to interact too. If people just leave a one word comment how do you expect someone to comment back
@CoralLevang (34448)
You don't get any argument here with me on that one. Occasionally towards the end of the discussion of course you're going to have exhausted all that you need to say so there might be a thumbs-up or some sort of indication that that thread has ended. But when it starts out that way, I don't have much tolerance for it
@Nawsheen (22907)
• Mauritius
@CoralLevang what i mean to say is that something when people respond to your discussion their first response itself is a ''Yes'' or ''No''. Those kind of responses do not leave any room for further discussions
@CoralLevang (34448)
@Nawsheen I concur fully
@akp100 (13163)
Personally I do choose discussions on basis of my interest. So that I can add something. There is no meaning in adding something without any knowledge. That's what meaning of discussion. I mean one start something and then conversation keep on going.
@CoralLevang (34448)
I'm that's a good way to keep discussions going. About adding value.
@akp100 (13163)
@CoralLevang Yup. And that is the way to help the readers too. I am sure readers don't want to read those meaning less content which is intended for earning only.
@CoralLevang (34448)
@akp100 you're preaching to the choir here! I can't disagree with you!
Sometimes, having read it, I really have nothing intelligent to say about it, so I do answer the title instead. I do read them, though.
@CoralLevang (34448)
it's interesting how we all do things. We have different reasons to write we have different reasons to read we have different reasons to respond. Many of us write here or other places because we want to be heard
@CoralLevang - No point in doing it if nobody is going to read it.
@CoralLevang (34448)
@teamfreak16 I hear you my friend
@1hopefulman (17540)
If the title gets my attention, I always read the whole post, short, long or boring. If as I'm reading, I find it too boring, I just end the reading. If I find nothing that that is interesting to me, I just stop reading and move on. I do find that some persons are not really giving me their attention when I am speaking and assume that whatever I'm saying is of no interest to them and so I move on. .
@CoralLevang (34448)
This is far too common. But, I think it's learning how to move on more quickly when you realize that someone's not interested.
@1hopefulman (17540)
@CoralLevang When someone is not really interested then anything they say is just meaningless and valueless words.
@CoralLevang (34448)
@1hopefulman yes, sir. I have to agree with you on that one
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think most of us here actually read what the other is writing, but there are obviously some who just leave a comment for the sake of leaving a comment. I wonder if the language barrier also plays a role. Sometimes I can't tell if someone didn't read my post, or if they just don't understand my post. That happened on my silly post about how I burned my self up with an oil lantern.
@CoralLevang (34448)
I remember one time I wrote about something at a different site and I had gotten some bad news on a medical test. And a person responded that they hope I enjoyed receiving the good news. Most people know that if I share something that personal, I don't mince words. The person was not from a different country than the one I live in. I think some people just go on automatic and they say things just to say nice things. Without understanding what a conversation is about because they don't either one care to do so, listen, or pay attention. I hope that I haven't described myself most of the time. Or even some of the time. I even have a therapist once who I saw a few times, and then it asked me a question and as I was explaining the answer, I noticed that he was falling asleep. I said something really off the wall that had nothing to do with the subject at hand, and he opened his eyes and he said that's nice. And acted as if he were intent on listening to me. I never went back. It was kind of funny actually looking back on it now. I wished I would have had guts enough then to call attention to it
• Marion, Kansas
I cannot say for sure what society as a whole wants. I want to know what someone has to say. I have also been here long enough to know that there are tricky people who start a discussion in one direction and then change to catch those people who only read titles or to tease their friends. I hope I never short change people when I interact on their posts.
@CoralLevang (34448)
I enjoy a good turn of the phrase. But I'm never going to say what I ate for dinner for a title and then start a political conversation.
@megatron777 (3847)
• Guam
Read first before you make your comment or reply.
@CoralLevang (34448)
Short and sweet!
I forgot what I was suppose to type. I stopped reading after the title! Sorry, can't help it! It is important to try to understand what is being said and what is being left unsaid. Sound bites are good once in awhile but an in-depth perspective on the matter being discussed is always welcomed!
@ms1864 (6943)
• Bangalore, India
yeah...you are right. I have noticed that too. I assume their target is to comment on as many discussions as possible for the chance that even if the reply has to be a generic one like thank you's and other such responses... the person earns something anyway. even if there comment is 'liked' ..they get something. I do think it is just the misuse of people being polite.
@CoralLevang (34448)
You and I are in complete agreement here! I do recognize that certain cultures have different standards of politeness. But there are at times what you call a misuse, and maybe even an abuse, of the generosity of the site policy.
Sadly that is what the world is becoming. I don't care how long a post is-if it keeps my attention. That goes for anything, a book as well. If I'm bored to tears after the first chapter I am not going to keep on reading it. Lol.
@CoralLevang (34448)
I remember someone telling me something that has stuck with me forever and it's about relationships, books, all of it. Just because you bought the ticket does not mean you have to stay for the second act.
@FayeHazel (8441)
True. Sometimes, actually not often, but sometimes here someone will reply and I know they haven't read what I said. Actually I know a lot of people who don't seem to listen, they just talk. How much fun can that be?
@CoralLevang (34448)
I love listening to people that have something to say. I even love more getting into good conversations with people. Because I like to talk, I also find that I end up rescuing socially people that cannot carry on very good conversations. And they let me, and then I get accused of doing all the talking. It's really about learning how to find people who are part of your tribe and can speak the same language!
@pgntwo (19707)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I see your lips moving, but I cannot hear anything... The "quick fix" will be the end of us, one way or another. Dwindling attention spans seem to be de-rigeur, alas.
@CoralLevang (34448)
@Lupita234 what is it that you agree with? Tell me your feelings on this subject.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I am going to have to agree with John, sometimes I leave short comments. But they express what I wanted to say and what I got out of the post I just read. Now personally that doesn't happen too much, because I tend to ramble even in comments.
@CoralLevang (34448)
Leaving Short comments is not the problem. It's leaving comments that show that someone has not read enough to know what something is about. I think they called that reading comprehension at one point. Is it that someone really doesn't understand, or is it that someone has not read far enough? Either way, there's miscommunication.
@ridingbet (33307)
i agree. that is why there is a big difference between hearing and listening, and also seeing and watching. reading and understanding seem to be interchanging here. when i give a discussion and comment, sometimes the comments deviate from the original discussion, but i find this nice, because the commenters 'go with the flow' of the original discussion. i had interaction with 2 members here.
@CoralLevang (34448)
Yes! Conversations and discussions have a natural flow to them. Many of us get into things and then we end up on sidebar discussions. I think that's fine!
@ridingbet (33307)
@CoralLevang having conversations with other mylotters is better, even if the discussion deviates a bit, rather than commenting back on a reply that says' how is your day?', and not only in one of your posts, but even in other posts as well. so the lotter expects your response to the same question to add to the bank?!
@CoralLevang (34448)
@ridingbet I think part of that could be not knowing much more English. I see that from some of the people from around the world especially. It would be as if I tried to speak too much Spanish, I don't know many more phrases then how are you have a nice day. And the only thing I know how to say in Tagalog are a few foods and thank you.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Ha, ha, I like your mother's definition! I'm afraid I don't enter into the discussion by commenting at all if I have nothing to say. However, sometimes I want to make a comment to indicate that I've visited and read the piece, but the content makes it difficult to think of what to say. Was it on Bubblews that comments had to be a certain length? Even that didn't solve the problem of commenting for the sake of it.
@CoralLevang (34448)
I think that we can always find something to say. Sometimes it's just acknowledging it and saying I understand what you're trying to say and I wish you well.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
@CoralLevang true, but sometimes that feels insincere. What I dislike even more is pressing like when that choice of word seems inappropriate.
@CoralLevang (34448)
@valmnz I use it more as a thumbs-up yes I saw this.