MyLot: Commenting without reading?

@CoralLevang (20771)
There are many discussions that we can find here on myLot. Some are as simple as a few sentences on what we ate for dinner. There are others that may be several paragraphs, however, that may be discussing real issues. Of course, there are yet other posts that ramble on without saying much of anything. I am quite sure that I have written things that would fall in each of these three categories. Then, there are the comments. Some people will respond to a post after giving it much thought. You can tell when someone has read the post and is genuinely interested in the discussion. There are others who seemingly read only the title and then comment based on what they think the discussion covers, not reading beyond the first line. If people were having a face-to-face discussion, this would fall into the category of speaking having not listened to what the other had to say. My mother used to call it "speaking just to hear yourself talk." Technology allows us to communicate in a way that allows us to reach far-beyond the noses on our faces. It gives us opportunities to dig deeper to gather more information. It can pave the road for us to learn and grow, if only we pay attention and are curious enough to ask questions. How one comments on another's posts is just as telling as the discussions themselves about any one of us, as communicators. Whether speaking in person or corresponding in a discussion, is it important to try to understand what someone else is trying to convey? Or have we become a society that is only interested in "sound bites" and a quick fix?
Sometimes you can leave a short comment that may not be too deep but that doesn't mean you didn't read the entire post and grasp it. Yes, we do live in a quick fix sound bite world. Both here and on Persona Paper, people complained my posts were too long. A 400 word movie review too long? 400 words is nothing. That's shorter than a newspaper review. The world is being boiled down to two sentences filled with text abbreviations.
Well said. I write for a bog for real actual money and the requirement is 350 words but not to go too much over since people stop reading at a certain point. Life it to short to begin with and at my age time is running short.
@CoralLevang (20771)
@JohnRoberts it's an interesting phenomenon, what communication has become. @AbbyGreenhill it really is about that balance that was mentioned the other day. Maybe that's my problem, I'm so imbalanced that I care! Haha
@CoralLevang Well, the older I get I only care about nuclear war and if I run out of lifetime movies.
Several users never read a line, they read the title and the last line and this is enough for them to leave a comment. If I am not interesting in something I start to read I skip. I see no reason to leave a comment if there is nothing to discuss, of if the post is a nonsense post. My mother also said "speaking just to hear yourself talk."
@CoralLevang (20771)
Perhaps our mothers were sisters in another life? Haha I agree with you on not leaving comments, if I have nothing to say. If I'm not interested at least somehow in the article and have nothing to contribute to the discussion, then I may give it a like, to show that I've been there and read it.
@CoralLevang This is what I do if there is nothing to say, I give a like, after all we took the time to open the discussion.
@CoralLevang (20771)
@LadyDuck exactly
The ability to comprehend the written word has been compromised by technology. Comprehending text of more than a few sentences has become a struggle for many. Technology has information coming our way in short bits at a rapid pace.
@Lupita234 (6322)
sometimes not all people got the same ability
@CoralLevang (20771)
I can appreciate when it's done and what it can do, but I don't appreciate laziness another human being or when they they are only out for themselves. When you're on a site that calls for discussion, I see that as conversation. It's not just a thumbs up when somebody writes
@CoralLevang I agree. I do think far too many are too concerned about their own dear selves and give little thought to the effort made by others.
@JESSY3236 (3735)
I do read the posts. I think it was on other site I won't name where someone posted a post asking a question to see if the people were actually reading the post.
@CoralLevang (20771)
I would never post one question to completely throw somebody off. I've used words very carefully and people come up with ideas on their own but I don't try to slip people up.
@Lupita234 (6322)
oh good point
• Olney, Illinois
And then Scar, he winked at me and said "If she only knew"
@CoralLevang (20771)
Well, if you are one that comments on my posts without reading, then you are smarter than I gave you credit for. *laughs* You always make sense to me, @JolietJake ! But then, maybe I'm "myLotting under the influence."
• Olney, Illinois
@CoralLevang I am about to be under the influence of lasagna
@CoralLevang (20771)
@JolietJake save the edges for me. I like more of that crunchy stuff and not the creamy cheesy Stuff
@FayeHazel (5483)
True. Sometimes, actually not often, but sometimes here someone will reply and I know they haven't read what I said. Actually I know a lot of people who don't seem to listen, they just talk. How much fun can that be?
@Lupita234 (6322)
i got oyur point faye
@CoralLevang (20771)
I love listening to people that have something to say. I even love more getting into good conversations with people. Because I like to talk, I also find that I end up rescuing socially people that cannot carry on very good conversations. And they let me, and then I get accused of doing all the talking. It's really about learning how to find people who are part of your tribe and can speak the same language!
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I see your lips moving, but I cannot hear anything... The "quick fix" will be the end of us, one way or another. Dwindling attention spans seem to be de-rigeur, alas.
@Lupita234 (6322)
yeah i agree
@CoralLevang (20771)
@Lupita234 what is it that you agree with? Tell me your feelings on this subject.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I am going to have to agree with John, sometimes I leave short comments. But they express what I wanted to say and what I got out of the post I just read. Now personally that doesn't happen too much, because I tend to ramble even in comments.
@CoralLevang (20771)
Leaving Short comments is not the problem. It's leaving comments that show that someone has not read enough to know what something is about. I think they called that reading comprehension at one point. Is it that someone really doesn't understand, or is it that someone has not read far enough? Either way, there's miscommunication.
@UncleJoe (6318)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I get that all the time. Someone asking a question that was already answered in the post.
@Lupita234 (6322)
thats more common than we think
@CoralLevang (20771)
I am not perfect and I miss a lot. But when I'm engaged in something, you get me. If not, I don't start saying things that I shouldn't be saying.
@UncleJoe (6318)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@CoralLevang I got you.
I agree, you can tell when someone only skimmed it, but I have a network of people here I know read it all. I try to keep it short though.
@CoralLevang (20771)
that's the nice thing about this site. One can have it their way! just like Burger King
13h
@CoralLevang Haha, good analogy!
@CoralLevang (20771)
2h
@Jeanniemaries thank you!
@1hopefulman (13643)
If the title gets my attention, I always read the whole post, short, long or boring. If as I'm reading, I find it too boring, I just end the reading. If I find nothing that that is interesting to me, I just stop reading and move on. I do find that some persons are not really giving me their attention when I am speaking and assume that whatever I'm saying is of no interest to them and so I move on. .
@CoralLevang (20771)
This is far too common. But, I think it's learning how to move on more quickly when you realize that someone's not interested.
@1hopefulman (13643)
@CoralLevang When someone is not really interested then anything they say is just meaningless and valueless words.
@CoralLevang (20771)
@1hopefulman yes, sir. I have to agree with you on that one
@louievill (13133)
I agree with everything you said but sometimes I think that there could also be an element of language barriers such as in humor or idioms but you are also right that some do not read and understand vey well when they easily can.
@CoralLevang (20771)
Of course, there is language barrier. And I'm not referring to those things. In fact, I am quite willing to help others when it comes to language, because I've been a teacher. Of ESL. It could be as simple as someone reading the newspaper while someone's talking to you, and agreeing with whatever they say, just to test whether or not someone's listening! Haha
@Lupita234 (6322)
yes language can play an important issue
@CoralLevang (20771)
@Lupita234 but so can not trying. And that plays a bigger, more important part
I forgot what I was suppose to type. I stopped reading after the title! Sorry, can't help it! It is important to try to understand what is being said and what is being left unsaid. Sound bites are good once in awhile but an in-depth perspective on the matter being discussed is always welcomed!
Sadly that is what the world is becoming. I don't care how long a post is-if it keeps my attention. That goes for anything, a book as well. If I'm bored to tears after the first chapter I am not going to keep on reading it. Lol.
@CoralLevang (20771)
I remember someone telling me something that has stuck with me forever and it's about relationships, books, all of it. Just because you bought the ticket does not mean you have to stay for the second act.
@Nawsheen (3550)
• Mauritius
I agree with you. Sometimes you get responses which do not relate to the discussion too. I agree that we earn by responding to discussions but if we are on myLot it is to interact too. If people just leave a one word comment how do you expect someone to comment back
@CoralLevang (20771)
You don't get any argument here with me on that one. Occasionally towards the end of the discussion of course you're going to have exhausted all that you need to say so there might be a thumbs-up or some sort of indication that that thread has ended. But when it starts out that way, I don't have much tolerance for it
@Nawsheen (3550)
• Mauritius
@CoralLevang what i mean to say is that something when people respond to your discussion their first response itself is a ''Yes'' or ''No''. Those kind of responses do not leave any room for further discussions
@CoralLevang (20771)
@Nawsheen I concur fully
@akp100 (12174)
Personally I do choose discussions on basis of my interest. So that I can add something. There is no meaning in adding something without any knowledge. That's what meaning of discussion. I mean one start something and then conversation keep on going.
@CoralLevang (20771)
I'm that's a good way to keep discussions going. About adding value.
@akp100 (12174)
@CoralLevang Yup. And that is the way to help the readers too. I am sure readers don't want to read those meaning less content which is intended for earning only.
@CoralLevang (20771)
@akp100 you're preaching to the choir here! I can't disagree with you!
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
Sometimes, having read it, I really have nothing intelligent to say about it, so I do answer the title instead. I do read them, though.
@CoralLevang (20771)
it's interesting how we all do things. We have different reasons to write we have different reasons to read we have different reasons to respond. Many of us write here or other places because we want to be heard
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
@CoralLevang - No point in doing it if nobody is going to read it.
@CoralLevang (20771)
@teamfreak16 I hear you my friend
Interesting question. We must first read and understand each discussion before we make a reply or comment.
@CoralLevang (20771)
And if we don't understand it, it gives us a perfect opportunity to ask a question and delve into it more to gain Fuller understanding.
7h
@CoralLevang You are aboslutely correct.
• Marion, Kansas
I cannot say for sure what society as a whole wants. I want to know what someone has to say. I have also been here long enough to know that there are tricky people who start a discussion in one direction and then change to catch those people who only read titles or to tease their friends. I hope I never short change people when I interact on their posts.
@CoralLevang (20771)
I enjoy a good turn of the phrase. But I'm never going to say what I ate for dinner for a title and then start a political conversation.
@silvermist (17611)
@CoralLevang I never comment without reading. it is for me always like talking to a person,(which I prefer).
@CoralLevang (20771)
I, too, prefer face-to-face conversations. Probably the one thing I enjoy the most in life.