Do you prefer posts accompanied by a photograph?

By Gill
@Gillygirl (12081)
Sutton, England
Many members use an original photograph with their posts. I like them as they add interest to a discussion. They won't always lure me in to read if the first line of the post is uninspiring or the title doesn't grip me. Some photos do bring discussions alive. For example topics about travel would not be so good without a picture. I started a discussion recently about the pros and cons about being a senior citizen. I'm not quite there yet but it won't be long. The photo I've used is a view of Seaford, East Sussex where the husband with the big belly and I now plan to retire to when we are older.
Some photos can bring more interaction and interest. But some members use the same photo over and over and I would prefer not to see a photo then.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
I have noticed that sometimes. It can take the interest away if repeated too much.
@Gillygirl Exactly! And your photo attached is beautiful ! Earlier I couldn't see it I think my internet wan't loading properly.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@infatuatedbby Thank you. We are going to this place again in a few weeks time to get more of a feel to it and look at properties for sale.
@FayeHazel (5483)
I like posts with photos. Though I need to take some to put with my writings here. Usually I try to align them with the content I'm writing, but you bring a good point, pictures of this area could be fun, too -- I love that photo btw.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
Thank you, I like the photos you include with your discussions. I haven't any new ones since March so I need to get out to take some more.
Yes, I do prefer a photo with a discussion.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
I like the photos on your posts @marlina
@Gillygirl Thanks
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@marlina You are welcome.
@louievill (13133)
I prefer discussions with photos especially original ones taken by the poster instead of generics taken from a site. Oh that's a beautiful place where you plan to retire
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
Thank you, hopefully it will be in about 4 years time. A photo with some description can be used as a talking point but not on it's own.
@1hopefulman (13643)
I'm a visual person and so love it when discussions illustrate the point.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
Some posts can fall flat without the emphasis of a photo. If I wanted to write about my cats I would use a photo to illustrate what I was saying about them.
@1hopefulman (13643)
@Gillygirl Exactly! And what do they say about a picture?
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@1hopefulman It paints a thousand words.
There are no cons regrading being a senior - it means you are still living! I like photos with posts, but I prefer photos that actually have something to do with the post.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
Please don't put me off being a senior. I intend to grow old disgracefully. A photo not related to a post doesn't add value to a discussion. I have been guilty of this.
@Gillygirl I don't get your first sentence in your comment - how am I putting you off?
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@AbbyGreenhill I am an eejit sometimes. I misread your comment.
@manasamanu (1104)
Photos are just used to give a look to the discussion sometimes.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
If they aren't related to the discussion it can be just a look. I have been guilty of this often but have had no complaints.
@Gillygirl Yes the mylotters have to think about this whether to simply put up a photo or not.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@manasamanu I usually add a photo as it does get interest.
@boiboing (11796)
• Northampton, England
A lot depends on the photo.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
Such as?
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@MALUSE I like seeing photos of different places. If a discussion is about a specific place a photo can bring it more alive.
• Denmark
@Gillygirl Yes, that's right.
Pictures will lure me to view a discussion, from there it all depends on the length of the discussion and the subject, usually I won't bother with a lengthy discussion, I like the shorter ones.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
I prefer medium sized discussions but don't mind short as long as the post makes sense. I find it interesting that some people are not keen on having a photo on a discussion.
Well, @Gillygirl I guess it's the same with music, some people .... like me .... prefer not to listen to music.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@rebelann I have noticed that discussions about music don't get many responses.
• Denmark
Why have you decided to settle down in Seaford?
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
It is by the sea and the air is clean. The neighbourhood is respectable with a good community spirit. This is lacking where we are in an anonymous London suburb. I have family close to Seaford but the down side would be my daughter and grandchild will be just over an hours drive away. We have talked it over and the pros out weigh the cons..
• Denmark
@Gillygirl Certainly better than a London suburb! A one-hour drive is not nice. We Europeans are used to short distances. But a US American or Canadian would say, "Only one hour away?"
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@MALUSE That is true. My husband and I were in the former Yugoslavia when an American couple pointed to a place in the middle of Italy and asked us how long it would take to drive there. It must have been several hours away and not a drive we would contemplate.
• Cyprus
I prefer the discussions without a picture. For me it's more of a distraction and sometimes the page loads slower.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
I like photos that add to a discussion. I like seeing photos of places in other countries. A mere description isn't good enough. I also like posts without if they are interesting. I agree that some photos can take a while to load. Hope this one didn't.
• Dallas, Texas
@Gillygirl , having a Pinterest account you might want to share more images by providing a link to them. That way people who like your photos can see more when they have time and inclination to do so. Just an idea I wanted to share here.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@lookatdesktop Thanks I have one.
I prefer a post with a photo, of course if the photo has something to do with the post, that is not always the case. This place seems wonderful to retire.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
I admit I use photos at times that are not related to the post. It is a lovely clean town and we will be going back soon for a further look around.
@Gillygirl I also do sometimes to post photos that are not related, but not all the time.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@LadyDuck Some add value but some do not.
Adding a photo does act as enticing lure but sometimes it's very difficult to load photos on this site. I always add a Pixabay illustration.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
I like to use my own and have got the hang of reducing the photo file size. I use Pixabay as well at times. I once found a nice photo of the village where I live.
• Dallas, Texas
Is it okay to use images from the Wikimedia site? They are public domain images too like Pixabay. Also I have to use smaller images from Pixabay so mobile users can load the picture fast although some degree of detail and quality is lost from the reduction in both size and pixel size.
@lookatdesktop I have never used Wikimedia but sure any source is okay as long as public domain.
Personally speaking, I prefer to have photos in my posts.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
I think it's personal preference. I looked through my posts with pictures and some posts without. There isn't much difference in responses.
14h
@Gillygirl I guess it is fine not to have photos. But I personally love seeing some photos in my posts. It was like having a catalog.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
1h
@Shavkat Yes they do look pretty. I love gardens.
• Austin, Texas
Yes. I prefer posts with pics. But I'll still read them if they don't have pics and caught my eye.
• Dallas, Texas
I think the cave men of the old days will agree with you. When I see a good picture painted on my cave wall I will spend lots more time looking at it then if there is something in print such as a caption, I most definitely will read it.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
I like posts with pics and posts without. It's my preference to add a photo and I keep them small so they don't take long to load.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@lookatdesktop I must pop over to your cave and see what pictures you have on your discussions.
@bunnybon7 (28487)
• Holiday, Florida
big belly? hope he don't read this. looks like a nice place to retire.i don't know why i do always feel a bit obligated to try and post a photo. i often read ones with no photo if i feel i can say something on them i can relate to.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
LOL! That is my signature remark. Ssssh don't tell him. Some discussions without photos are interesting others seem to fall flat. Seaford is a nice place and the property prices are cheaper there than where we are now.
@bunnybon7 (28487)
• Holiday, Florida
@Gillygirl i won't tell.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@shynu44 (184)
it takes more time but im not sure if adding pictures add more money
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
I wasn't really talking about money. The only way to check whether my earnings would be lower would be to write a series of posts without a photo.
• Dallas, Texas
@Gillygirl , I think you need a great post and any additional image provided by you makes it all the more enjoyable for everyone.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
@lookatdesktop The contents of a post come first but some are better with an image that relates.
Photos do add interest to a discussion, however, it is an extra step,and sometimes it is hard to find a suitable photo.
• Dallas, Texas
If possible many sites will provide a thumbnail image that is actually a hyper link that leads to the big picture. This is a good thing. Even a basic bitmap can easily be converted into a jaypeg using a photo editor in a Windows computer. Adobe has many good applications to quickly convert a big picture into a smaller version. Try this link to find out if you want:
We rounded up 10 apps and tools to help you create, edit, manage and share engaging images.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
Resizing can be a pain. I moved a load of photos into another file and made them smaller. I always have one to go with a post if needed.
@Nawsheen (3553)
• Mauritius
I like photos in a discussion too. It makes it easier for me to better relate to the discusdion
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
Yes me too but I do read posts without photos too.
@Nawsheen (3553)
• Mauritius
22h
@Gillygirl same here. In fact it is mostly the titles that attract me to respond to discussions.
Most of the time, it makes your post more interesting.
@Gillygirl (12081)
• Sutton, England
It can do but I still get gripped by posts without photos.
7h
@Gillygirl Alright.