Do you prefer posts accompanied by a photograph?

By Gill
@Gillygirl (15151)
Sutton, England
Many members use an original photograph with their posts. I like them as they add interest to a discussion. They won't always lure me in to read if the first line of the post is uninspiring or the title doesn't grip me. Some photos do bring discussions alive. For example topics about travel would not be so good without a picture. I started a discussion recently about the pros and cons about being a senior citizen. I'm not quite there yet but it won't be long. The photo I've used is a view of Seaford, East Sussex where the husband with the big belly and I now plan to retire to when we are older.
Some photos can bring more interaction and interest. But some members use the same photo over and over and I would prefer not to see a photo then.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
I have noticed that sometimes. It can take the interest away if repeated too much.
@Gillygirl Exactly! And your photo attached is beautiful ! Earlier I couldn't see it I think my internet wan't loading properly.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@infatuatedbby Thank you. We are going to this place again in a few weeks time to get more of a feel to it and look at properties for sale.
Yes, I do prefer a photo with a discussion.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
I like the photos on your posts @marlina
@Gillygirl Thanks
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@marlina You are welcome.
@FayeHazel (8399)
I like posts with photos. Though I need to take some to put with my writings here. Usually I try to align them with the content I'm writing, but you bring a good point, pictures of this area could be fun, too -- I love that photo btw.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
Thank you, I like the photos you include with your discussions. I haven't any new ones since March so I need to get out to take some more.
@FayeHazel (8399)
@Gillygirl It's always nice to have motivation to take photos , isn't it?
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@FayeHazel Yes it is. It has been glum here today so no motive for taking anything.
@louievill (15519)
I prefer discussions with photos especially original ones taken by the poster instead of generics taken from a site. Oh that's a beautiful place where you plan to retire
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
Thank you, hopefully it will be in about 4 years time. A photo with some description can be used as a talking point but not on it's own.
@boiboing (12533)
• Northampton, England
A lot depends on the photo.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
Such as?
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@MALUSE I like seeing photos of different places. If a discussion is about a specific place a photo can bring it more alive.
• Denmark
@Gillygirl Yes, that's right.
@1hopefulman (17448)
I'm a visual person and so love it when discussions illustrate the point.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
Some posts can fall flat without the emphasis of a photo. If I wanted to write about my cats I would use a photo to illustrate what I was saying about them.
@1hopefulman (17448)
@Gillygirl Exactly! And what do they say about a picture?
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@1hopefulman It paints a thousand words.
There are no cons regrading being a senior - it means you are still living! I like photos with posts, but I prefer photos that actually have something to do with the post.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
Please don't put me off being a senior. I intend to grow old disgracefully. A photo not related to a post doesn't add value to a discussion. I have been guilty of this.
@Gillygirl I don't get your first sentence in your comment - how am I putting you off?
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@AbbyGreenhill I am an eejit sometimes. I misread your comment.
@manasamanu (3757)
• Bangalore, India
Photos are just used to give a look to the discussion sometimes.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
If they aren't related to the discussion it can be just a look. I have been guilty of this often but have had no complaints.
• Bangalore, India
@Gillygirl Yes the mylotters have to think about this whether to simply put up a photo or not.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@manasamanu I usually add a photo as it does get interest.
Pictures will lure me to view a discussion, from there it all depends on the length of the discussion and the subject, usually I won't bother with a lengthy discussion, I like the shorter ones.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
I prefer medium sized discussions but don't mind short as long as the post makes sense. I find it interesting that some people are not keen on having a photo on a discussion.
Well, @Gillygirl I guess it's the same with music, some people .... like me .... prefer not to listen to music.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@rebelann I have noticed that discussions about music don't get many responses.
• Denmark
Why have you decided to settle down in Seaford?
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
It is by the sea and the air is clean. The neighbourhood is respectable with a good community spirit. This is lacking where we are in an anonymous London suburb. I have family close to Seaford but the down side would be my daughter and grandchild will be just over an hours drive away. We have talked it over and the pros out weigh the cons..
• Denmark
@Gillygirl Certainly better than a London suburb! A one-hour drive is not nice. We Europeans are used to short distances. But a US American or Canadian would say, "Only one hour away?"
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@MALUSE That is true. My husband and I were in the former Yugoslavia when an American couple pointed to a place in the middle of Italy and asked us how long it would take to drive there. It must have been several hours away and not a drive we would contemplate.
@moffittjc (31717)
• Gainesville, Florida
I do appreciate posts that have photos associated with them, but I will still read those without photos. I wish I could upload more photos on my own posts, but half the time I try to upload a photo I get error messages.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
Are the file sizes very large?
@moffittjc (31717)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Gillygirl Yes, on about half of my photos. Interestingly, I never change my settings, so half the time the photos will upload, and half the time the size is too large. Why they are the correct size in some instances and not in others is beyond me. And even when I try to resize photos they still don't want to seem to load.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@moffittjc Strange, I open mine in Paint and then shrink the file size to about 550KB. The original of this pic was around 13MB
I prefer a post with a photo, of course if the photo has something to do with the post, that is not always the case. This place seems wonderful to retire.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
I admit I use photos at times that are not related to the post. It is a lovely clean town and we will be going back soon for a further look around.
@Gillygirl I also do sometimes to post photos that are not related, but not all the time.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@LadyDuck Some add value but some do not.
Adding a photo does act as enticing lure but sometimes it's very difficult to load photos on this site. I always add a Pixabay illustration.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
I like to use my own and have got the hang of reducing the photo file size. I use Pixabay as well at times. I once found a nice photo of the village where I live.
• Dallas, Texas
Is it okay to use images from the Wikimedia site? They are public domain images too like Pixabay. Also I have to use smaller images from Pixabay so mobile users can load the picture fast although some degree of detail and quality is lost from the reduction in both size and pixel size.
@lookatdesktop I have never used Wikimedia but sure any source is okay as long as public domain.
Personally speaking, I prefer to have photos in my posts.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
I think it's personal preference. I looked through my posts with pictures and some posts without. There isn't much difference in responses.
@Gillygirl I guess it is fine not to have photos. But I personally love seeing some photos in my posts. It was like having a catalog.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@Shavkat Yes they do look pretty. I love gardens.
@Nawsheen (22906)
• Mauritius
I like photos in a discussion too. It makes it easier for me to better relate to the discusdion
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
Yes me too but I do read posts without photos too.
@Nawsheen (22906)
• Mauritius
@Gillygirl same here. In fact it is mostly the titles that attract me to respond to discussions.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@Nawsheen It has to be the first line for me too.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Yes, I do think a photo adds value to a photo. Some people are clever and lure us in with nice photos that are quite irrelevant to the post, but I'm okay with that too.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
I must admit that I am guilty of that at times.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
@Gillygirl aren't we all
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@valmnz Many of us are indeed.
@AkoPinay (9855)
I prefer posts with photos/graphics. It helps readers to fully understand the essence of the post but some are using photos that are unrelated to the post which cause me "headaches".
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
I realise some photos can take a while to load on the site.
@AkoPinay (9855)
@Gillygirl because of the size I guess
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@AkoPinay Yes some photos take too long to load.
• Austin, Texas
Yes. I prefer posts with pics. But I'll still read them if they don't have pics and caught my eye.
• Dallas, Texas
I think the cave men of the old days will agree with you. When I see a good picture painted on my cave wall I will spend lots more time looking at it then if there is something in print such as a caption, I most definitely will read it.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
I like posts with pics and posts without. It's my preference to add a photo and I keep them small so they don't take long to load.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@lookatdesktop I must pop over to your cave and see what pictures you have on your discussions.
@bunnybon7 (30976)
• Holiday, Florida
big belly? hope he don't read this. looks like a nice place to retire.i don't know why i do always feel a bit obligated to try and post a photo. i often read ones with no photo if i feel i can say something on them i can relate to.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
LOL! That is my signature remark. Ssssh don't tell him. Some discussions without photos are interesting others seem to fall flat. Seaford is a nice place and the property prices are cheaper there than where we are now.
@bunnybon7 (30976)
• Holiday, Florida
@Gillygirl i won't tell.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@shynu44 (2587)
it takes more time but im not sure if adding pictures add more money
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
I wasn't really talking about money. The only way to check whether my earnings would be lower would be to write a series of posts without a photo.
• Dallas, Texas
@Gillygirl , I think you need a great post and any additional image provided by you makes it all the more enjoyable for everyone.
@Gillygirl (15151)
• Sutton, England
@lookatdesktop The contents of a post come first but some are better with an image that relates.