The More South You Go, The More Polite They Are

@LoriAMoore (10643)
Louisville, Kentucky
Here I am just two hours south of where I live and there's a big cultural difference just this much closer south. Bowling Green, KY is about 30 minutes from Nashville, TN, so it's south of where I live in Louisville, KY. I'm at lunch and I can hear the country accents and everyone is saying "Yes, ma'am" and "No ma'am" Oh how I love manners. Do you find some places to be more polite than others? Are the more southern places you visit more friendly and/or polite than those in the north?
Ever visited Canada, north of you? We are a pretty decent people you know and extremely polite.
@LoriAMoore (10643)
• Louisville, Kentucky
So true, I was speaking purely of USA. Canadians are the BEST!
@LoriAMoore hey now Canadians are cool but US is cool too lol
I find folks in southern Illinois are mighty nice folks.
Well, I didn't think Yankees were rude but down south we know how to mask the rudeness, kill em with kindness is a motto I've heard a few times then I found out its how you say those rude comments to sound nice.
Yea, like "bless your heart."
Some southerners actually mean it the way it sounds @1creekgirl it's hard to tell which southerner is using it to hide a sarcastic intent. The other one I have to wonder about is when one comments "oh aren't you just the sweetest" I don't always know if the person saying it actually means it.
Yes of course. As you said there are definitely some "cultural differences" as you go from places to places.
I have noticed that people in the country areas are more polite than city folk.
Yes and no. Most all of my traveling has been the southern USA and I will say that the northern`s that have moved to Florida are down right rude. Texas is a southern state and the people are hard there, short and more mean sounding. Nice is South Carolina. Alabama and Georgia? Mountain people are nicer that the coastal people. But I was treated the best by people in Arizona.
@dodo19 (22454)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
We Canadians are known for being polite. Most of us are, I think. Maybe you should try coming up here some time. Just a suggestion.
@LoriAMoore (10643)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Canadians ROCK!
@dodo19 (22454)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@LoriAMoore I'd like to think so. I think we're pretty awesome.
I use to go to Lakeland Florida every year and the people there were so friendly and polie. I use to love going out shopping and just talking to people. I love southern accents. They are the best!!
I'm in Jersey. Most people are in a hurry and terribly rude here. It is awful.
No we are very polite people in NH.come and visit us.You will know.
@LoriAMoore (10643)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I shall do that.
@LoriAMoore Let me know when you come.
• Denmark
This is not the case in Germany.
The people in Oregon are a lot more friendly than the people in Colorado were.
• Redlands, California
I have noticed the farther away you go from any major city, the more polite people are.
@LoriAMoore (10643)
• Louisville, Kentucky
That's probably what it is more so than being southern.
@1creekgirl (5251)
There are lots of nice Yankees (including my daddy and son-in- law.) But southerners are GENERALLY, not always, more friendly and polite. Is that PC enough?
I can give you the names of some truly non-friendly southerners.
Ya it sounds really great . Here also we find that kind of difference but that's not direction specific ,that's location specific and are distributed.
I think the South in general is more polite than the North. There is alot of yes Ma'aming in my area, but probably not as much as further South. Louisville KY is the South to me, but I saw some guys from there on TV, they considered it to be the MIdwest..Nah..don't think so! Unless, it is the Southern Midwest!
@garymarsh6 (10559)
Oh boy yes. I found the people of North Carolina absolutely charming. Well mannered and very polite compared to other places I have been in the USA. I love it too!
Filipinos are known for being polite. Sometimes too polite.
• Rochester, New York
I find that some countries are more polite than other's. I think it's all in how they were raised and the countries culture.
I am more south of that and I don't find that true necessarily. I think people are either polite or not. I don't think it's a regional thing. I do think that people are more polite around tourist areas and Nashville is just that. Be nice to the tourists with the money! i am a Yankee and I know that we are often looked down on for being nasty - and in some cases it's true. I could go on and on but I won't.