Jehovah's Witnesses banned in Russia!

@1hopefulman (24951)
As one of Jehovah's Witnesses for the last 47 years I am deeply saddened by the news announced yesterday that the religious organization of Jehovah's Witnesses has been banned in Russia as an extremist organization. What that will mean and what will happen to the 175, 000 witnesses in Russia only time will tell? Matthew 10:18 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) 18 You will even be brought before governors and kings because of Me, to bear witness to them and to the nations.
The ruling to liquidate the Administrative Center of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia goes into effect immediately. The Witnesses will appeal.
Why did they call it extremist?
@1hopefulman (24951)
They had to have some "reason" to ban us.
@1hopefulman Do you know it?
@1hopefulman (24951)
@marguicha No evidence was presented in court but they already had decided that the verdict was to ban this religious organization. Here is an article, not by Jehovah's Witnesses, about what's happening in Russia that I found on the internet.
Putin's regime is reverting to Soviet-era restrictions on religion. But this denomination has survived worse.
What will happen next?
@PatZAnthony (12258)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Other groups will be banned/persecuted, while others sit on the side and say nothing.
@PatZAnthony That's really not good. I am sure UN will take action on this.
@PatZAnthony (12258)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@Shavkat No, they won't. The Jews who were trying to exit Russia due to persecution were not helped. Doubt others will be.
What does this mean? Will they be forced to leave Russia in order too practice their religion?
@buenavida (7875)
• Sweden
Hitler and many others have tried to stop the witnesses, but failed. Nothing can stop the truth. Even in the Nazi concentration camps the JW talked with the other prisoners and some - even some of the Nazis became witnesses and left their earlier positions.
@1hopefulman (24951)
A religion is really practiced inside one's heart and no law can stop that. However, if they practice it in some "public" way as interpreted by the government, they can be arrested and criminally prosecuted. What the government will actually do remains to be seen as it is Russia that we are talking about. 2 Timothy 3:12 King James Version (KJV) 12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
@buenavida (7875)
• Sweden
@1hopefulman I have seen lots of comments about this in Facebook too.. those who are my friends in Fb can go and read and listen to them.
• Peoria, Arizona
That is very sad. I am not religious, but I do believe everyone has a right to believe in what they want. As long as they are not causing any harm, or trying to convert me by shoving things down other's throats then they should do what makes them happy and feel safe. Russia is eventually going to ban so many things that there will only be a handful of people left who are not miserable.
@1hopefulman (24951)
Russia will do what they want to do but we hope they do the right thing.
• Peoria, Arizona
@1hopefulman Someday, they will. Until then they are just going to nitpick every last thing.
@LeaPea2417 (18599)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is not right because if they ban them, then they will ban other religions.
@1hopefulman (24951)
I think I read that they have already banned The Salvation Army.
(Keston News Service, December 6, 2001) Colonel Kenneth Baillie, the commanding officer of the Salvation Army in Russia, has vowed that the group's Moscow branch will "keep on working" despite the court ruling today (6 December) that it must cease all its
@LeaPea2417 (18599)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@1hopefulman That is sad.
@1hopefulman (24951)
@LeaPea2417 It's going to get much worse. Every religion will soon be attacked violently. It is already happening to some extent but things are about to get much, much worse.
Country rises to 15 on list of places where those practising faith most likely to be persecuted, with North Korea at No 1
My grandparents were banned from practicing their religion in Russia, persecuted, and forced to live in pogroms. Mankind is heartless!
@1hopefulman (24951)
Yes, Russia it seems, only wants religions to whom they can dictate what they should do and believe. They first plant the evidence and then they criminalise based on evidence they planted. They were caught on camera but the judge did not accept it. The decision had already been made before the court case. We must obey the commands of God rather than the commands of men, whatever the consequences. What God allows, we must endure. In the long run, the blessings outweigh the trials, as was proved with the righteous Job, Joseph, David, etc.
@IreneVincent I didn't know about the Jehovah's Witnesses. Thank you.
@DianneN Here's a link you might want to read:
Auschwitz survivors, including some of Jehovah’s Witnesses, will be present in Poland for the 70th anniversary of the liberation on January 27, 2015.
@scheng1 (24815)
Not surprising. Russia is still a communist country. I think they just want to confiscate the property. This seems the kind of things that Putin likes to do.
@1hopefulman (24951)
The Russian government does what it wants, despite the law and the constitution. We will appeal and see what happens. We had freedom to practice our religion for many years, we have not changed but we were growing. What has changed?
@scheng1 (24815)
@1hopefulman Perhaps he just wants the assets, including all the buildings. He cannot seize the assets unless the whole group is outlawed.
@1hopefulman (24951)
@scheng1 Could well be!
@PatZAnthony (12258)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We just shared an article on Facebook from Christianity Today 2016 stating that Evangelical Christians would not be allowed to practice their religion in Russia outside of their buildings. Jews were leaving Russia b/c they were being prosecuted. Jehovah's Witnesses have had their property confiscated by the government in addition to being banned. Sounds like something that has happened before in history? Yes, we are certainly marching to the end.
@1hopefulman (24951)
Time will tell what this ban will mean for Jehovah's Witnesses and other religions. We have 30 days to appeal. We will appeal but in the recent events, the judge did not seriously consider the evidence presented by the Jehovah's Witnesses lawyers. It seems that the decision to ban was already made. Yes, the end of many things is quickly approaching.
Streaming, on demand video and audio. Free Christian movies, educational and entertaining programs for families, teens, children, all. Official JW broadcast.
@1hopefulman Good job, Felix. I hope you don't mind my "hijacking" your post.
@1hopefulman (24951)
@IreneVincent Not at all! I welcome everyone that wants to participate!
@buenavida (7875)
• Sweden
Russia has tried to stop the witnesses earlier, even sent them to Siberia, but they are still more active than ever. The truth can not be stopped.. Here is one example of a faithful person that Hitler tried to stop, and failed:
Leopold Engleitner lived till age 108. He was born in 1905 and died in April 21 2013.  When Hitler occupied Austria in 1938, he also started persecuting those who did not follow the Nazi ideologies and Leopold, who had been studying the Bible, understood t
@1hopefulman (24951)
Yes, in time all the efforts of the enemies of those that serve God will fail. There is no doubt about that!
@buenavida (7875)
• Sweden
@1hopefulman Yesterday I saw the TV news from Finland.. They showed Putin talking with an European politician, and she mentioned Jehovah's Witnesses as one of the minorities in Russia.. She doesn't seemto be happy about how they are treated.. I guess what they do in Russia and some other countries will be well known in the world and it may be a wakeup call for many..
@buenavida Yes, the world is watching and so is Jehovah God. No human government can stand up against the Almighty God.
That figures that they were banned in Russia.
@1hopefulman (24951)
Yes, I'm not surprised either as world developments are about to get stranger and stranger to anyone that is not familiar with the Bible. The question on the minds of some is, who's next?
@1hopefulman Bible prophecies are slowly being fulfilled.
@1hopefulman (24951)
@Kandae11 It is my personal opinion that things are about to speed up! Isaiah 60:22 American Standard Version (ASV) 22 The little one shall become a thousand, and the small one a strong nation; I, Jehovah, will hasten it in its time.
That is so sad that they would ban a religion that has been around so long
@1hopefulman (24951)
At one time, it used to be a crime for anyone to have a Bible in Russia and then things changed but now they seem to be going back to their old ways. They want to become a military superpower and anyone that is a lover of peace is of no use to them.
@dragon54u (31557)
Can't they just ban them from going door to door? I'd love that. I have nothing against them. They do have some bizarre beliefs, in my opinion, but they have a right to believe as they want. I just don't like them invading my property and leaving pamphlets on my door, telling me I'm going to go to hell if I don't believe as they do, and generally making a nuisance of themselves. I don't believe in banning any religion but their behavior might have something to do with it. While I understand they are required to try to make converts, it infringes on the rights of other people when they trespass and harass non-believers.
@1hopefulman (24951)
Russia does what it wants. By the way, we don't believe in hell. If you ask them not to call on you, they will put you on a list that should no be "bothered".
@1hopefulman I´ll try that. JW call on my door every Saturday morning when I´m in bed.
@1hopefulman (24951)
@marguicha I go door to door very often and when someone tells me not to call, I make a note and do not call again on that person as I believe that just as I have the legal right to call at a door, we need to respect the wishes of the individual that lives there. You can tell them to only call in the afternoon or you can tell them firmly that you wish not to be called on anymore and to make sure they put on on the "Do Not Call" list.
@IreneVincent (16034)
It reminds me of the First Century Christians when they were being persecuted. You can read the entire story at Acts the 5th chapter. The apostles were arrested and put in jail, but an angel opened the doors of the prison and brought them out and told them to continue speaking to the people about God, which they did. then they were brought before the Sanhedrin (the court) and they were told: "We strictly ordered you not to keep teaching on the basis of Jesus' name and yet Look! you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and you are determined to bring the blood of this man upon us." What was Peter's answer? He said: "We must obey God as ruler rather than man." The priests were infuriated and wanted to do away with them. But a Pharisee named Gamaliel, told the priests "Men of Israel, be careful as to what you intend to do about these men...I say to you, do not meddle with these men, but let them alone. For if this scheme or this work is from MEN, it will be overthrown, but if it is from God, you will NOT be able to overthrow them . Otherwise, you may even be found to be fighters against God himself." The account goes on to tell what happened next. Of course, we know that the apostles continued their preaching work.
Christians being persecuted is nothing new. Luke 21:12 says: "You will be brought before kings and governors for the sake of my name" But, notice what it says next. "It will result in your giving a witness." So, a great witness is now being given in Russia and other countries where Christians are being persecuted. God is watching. He will only let it go so far. We can be assured of that.
@1hopefulman (24951)
@IreneVincent So true!
I have read the news, I have not yet read the motivations behind the ban.
@1hopefulman (24951)
This is the latest news on the subject.
@1hopefulman Thanks for the link.
@db20747 (5126)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
Let's hope we can restore religious freedom everywhere.
@1hopefulman (24951)
If we are understanding the prophecies of the Bible correctly, it's going to get even worse.
@db20747 (5126)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
@1hopefulman Very true, but as long as we can we have to keep the torch lit.
@1hopefulman (24951)
@db20747 That is true! (See Mathew 10:17-23)
@kepweng (9488)
sad but i think All religions banned in russia except the orthodox church whats the update in these?
@1hopefulman (24951)
Not much has changed.