Yesterday I Spent Two Hours Helping To Out A Run Away Fire…

Trinidad And Tobago
Yesterday fire gutted the empty lot adjacent to our house and flames leaped about six to eight feet high. The origins of the fire is unknown but there are a few people who are under suspicion. It started some half a mile away and accelerated at an alarming rate. It gobbled up trees, dried grass and broken and dead branches…and reached right up to our house. I hear the neighbor calling on the phone to tell my niece that the fire was right behind our house. So I went to see. It was worse than I feared. Everything was in flames and the smoke from green grasses burning caused streaming eyes and fits of coughing. I had gone out unprepared. No tall boots, no shades and no protection…only a pair of flip flops on my feet. The midday sun was hot and blistering. But there was no time. I took the hose from my sister in law and tried to wet as much grass and fence as I could. The water was a mere trickle…one of the rare occasions that there was water. So that was a bit of luck. My section was a 120 feet of fence. My niece did the same to the back of the house with about 40 feet of fence. My brother went to the back of the land to try and cut a fast pathway. My sister in law went back to the business to prevent thieves taking advantage of the open shops. All around us about 40 houses struggle to contain the fire. Some neighbors threw water in home where people were not there, trying to save the house. A lot of people just spectated. The fire damaged some acres of land. It caught on to the bamboo patch behind our house and burn brilliantly. It will probably take about four days to smolder out. I don’t think any one called the fire truck. That never works for us. And there are no roads for the trucks to drive through. The next day I suffered terrible swollen throat and swollen eye, even though I had none of these symptoms before I went to sleep. Even after all our hard work, the next morning I saw half a flower tree burnt on our side. The fire had re-started during the night and did come across to our side. It was a miracle that it did not spread while we were sleeping. This was such a frightening and traumatic experience. Have you ever experience the danger to your house or to yourself like this?
Oh my goodness! Glad you are safe and unharmed
That must have been an awful experience. It might have been worse if it had happened during the night.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Indeed. If there is a happy side, it was that it was during the daylight hours.
@Gabugs (1763)
Glad to note that you are safe. Understandably, this could have been a terrifying experience for you. Sorry.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Thank you. It was a terrifying situation to have to face.
@Gabugs (1763)
@Gita17112016 I commend you for braving it all.
• Pamplona, Spain
We could have done but the Fire was up in the Mountain and it was not provoked and was started by a huge Storm. Very glad that you are safe now. It is scary indeed. Can remember a Warehouse of tyres going up in Flames around the Corner from us.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Natural disaster are terrifying but when someone is careless and don't care...that's a different kind of hurting. It is such a destructive thing to do.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Gita17112016 Its done a lot here. Sadly to say there is a lot of it.
I was going to say to keep an eye on the fire, because if it not fully out it restarts. I experienced an enormous fire when we lived in Monte-Carlo. All the woods and forests around our small country were on fire and we were isolated. We spent the night on the beach, because I was too scared to stay in the apartment. It took 6 days to the firefighters to contain the flames. I am glad that your house is safe.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Wow! And you are so right, Fires are unpredictable and here everyday is a new outbreak. The weather is not helping wither. It is hot and the rains have not fallen in months.
@Gita17112016 We had wood fires three weeks ago, it was warm and dry. Now it rains every day, it's boring and depressing but at least there are no more fires.
@Bodyandbrain (13815)
• Gurgaon, India
It was such a terrible accident, I hope you are fine.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Yes, slowly recovering and keeping an eye on the weather.
• Gurgaon, India
@Gita17112016 get well soon. Why to worry about weather?
@Deepizzaguy (13821)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Just flooding when a major storm hits our neighborhood which is very rare.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Nature can wreck havoc, doesn't it?
@Deepizzaguy (13821)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@Gita17112016 It does some serious damage.
Thankfully I have never had to go through such a thing and I hope that I never do. It sounds terrifying. I am glad that your house is okay. I hope your throat and eyes feel better soon.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Thank you. It is an experience that tells you how fleeting life is. I am partially recovered but hoping things improve.
@Gita17112016 wishing you all the best
@Gillygirl (17340)
• Sutton, England
I haven't experienced danger like this. I am glad the fire didn't spread whilst you were asleep. The smoke must have had a delayed affect on you. It's frightening to think that this could have been arson.
• Trinidad And Tobago
The danger is very real and the instinct is one for survival. Funny how it put things in perspective...when we think we have life problems.
@Gillygirl (17340)
• Sutton, England
@Gita17112016 Yes dangerous incidents like that can make life problems become insignificant.
@KrauseHome (35313)
Lived in an apartment complex ovwr 20 yrs ago where someone set it on fire when I was out of town. I was able to salvage some stuff and had to live with my Mom til I got another place. It turned out to be arson and I am glad God spared me from this ordeal, and glad your place is left unharmed.
• Trinidad And Tobago
That's hard to do...and a terrible thing to happen when you were not even there. I can imagine how awful you felt. Thankfully, were we spared the harm.
It sounds as if you were very lucky, but that's terrible that the fire department can't be relied on.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Third world countries are like that.And we are so far into rural area that we have to rely on ourselves to do what we can.
Holy smokes! Pardon the pun! Thank goodness you are okay. I have never endured anything like that. Wow!
@Mass_Sonu (1035)
@Gita17112016 Oh, I've never experienced this. It's a good thing that you did, helping your best to put it off. I'm sorry you had to suffer, but I hope you'll be fine soon. Take good rest!