Favorite "( )" Songs #10 - "Bang a Gong (Get it On)"

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Moving on from 80's dance music, it's time for my Favorite "( )" Songs series: songs with parentheses in the title. The only rule is the parentheses must contain lyrics, which means that the likes of The Sisters of Mercy's "Marion (Version)" did not qualify. We'll start with #10, "Bang a Gong (Get it On)" by T. Rex. Led by vocalist/guitarist Marc Bolan, T. Rex formed as Tyrannosaurus Rex in 1967. Starting out as a psychedelic folk act, Bolan shortened the name to T. Rex in 1970, when he moved to electric glam rock. In fact, T. Rex is widely credited with popularizing glam; Bolan appeared on Top of the Pops with glitter under his eyes and the movement took off from there. The band was wildly successful for a short period of time: from 1970-1973, T. Rex placed 11 singles into the UK Top 10. In fact, the UK's top-selling album of 1971, Electric Warrior, spawned "Get it On," which was retitled "Bang a Gong (Get it On)" in the US in order to avoid confusion with the song "Get it On" by Chase. Featuring Yes' Rick Wakeman on piano and King Crimson's Ian McDonald on saxophones, the tune topped the UK Singles chart for six weeks, and reached #10 on the Billboard Hot 100. "Bang a Gong (Get it On)" was notably covered by The Power Station, as "Get it On (Bang a Gong)," who took it to #9 on the Hot 100, as well as by the disco group Witch Queen. Glam rock at it's finest. R.I.P. Marc. Thanks for the groovy music. (Info verified by Wikipedia)
T. Rex were an English rock band fronted by guitarist, singer and songwriter Marc Bolan. Formed as Tyrannosaurus Rex in the 1960s London, the folk rock group...
Ah those were the days my friend. I remember Bolan so well. They were magnificent. To this day, I listen to them every now and again to remember the London days.
I won a $5 bet once with a guy that thought I was lying when I told him the original name was Tyrannosaurus Rex
Must have been something. Like the 60's. I missed out on all the cool stuff.
@JolietJake - You should've bet more.
@Ronrybs (7392)
• London, England
Ah, T. Rex. I do like my Glam Rock. Just wish I'd kept all the clothes from back then!
I figured you would approve!
@Ronrybs (7392)
• London, England
@teamfreak16 My dirty little secret!
A big blast from youthful past. A vivid song.
Marc Bolan was too cool. Another one I was turned on to when I was a kid.
Thank you for not using The Power Station version (although yes, I have both) (Edit: just looked, I have the T.Rex on 45 as well)
I liked the Power Station version, but there was no way I was going to use it over this. This is too classic.
@FourWalls (14207)
You're kidding!!!!!! We are on the same wavelength! Given that one of my remaining songs in a countdown has a parenthetical title I have a country and rock countdown ready to go! Too wild!!! Scary, isn't it!! Oh, this is a good (song too).
Sweet! See if we match any (on this one.)
@FourWalls (14207)
@teamfreak16 -- there is one song (I'd bet the ranch on us matching).
@FourWalls - I think so too.
@crossbones27 (20264)
• Redlands, California
What was that movie called that was about the 70's where everyone just partied?.I believe it came out in the 90's. I believe this song is in that and what the song reminds me of. The one with Matthew Mcconaughey. Sweet song anyway.
Oh, Dazed and Confused. One of the all-time great stoner movies. Yeah, this fits right in.
Awesome song and, rip to him.
I'm glad I finally got to use these guys in a series.