Getting Smart

Yesterday was a good day here. We have opted not to take cable television services at this home. We have a smart TV, although we are not smart operators. So we booked the Geeks to come today to set up our apps and help us out. When we booked it we were advised that it covers setting up a minimal of 1 to 3 devices, and we only have one smart tv. Until I dragged him out shopping. The small set in our bedroom isn't old but it isn't smart either. The 3 channels that it picks up cut in and out. So we bought a new one, the same size but a smart set. The tech can set that one up for us also. We'll never be as smart as our televisions or even our phones for that matter, but I think that we are getting smarter. Do you stream thru a smart tv also?
@PainsOnSlate (20243)
I have a long way to go before I can understand a smart TV, I still don't have a cell phone,
You and me alike! The smart television sets are like the smart phones in the aspect that they have apps that you use to watch television. But I'm not a wiz at this stuff, and I won't attempt to use the remote for months, if ever.
We do not have the cable and we only have one TV set in the living room, no electronic gadgets in the bedroom.
We never had one until we moved into our last home. We enjoy it when we are not feeling 100% and need to be in bed but not asleep.
@Juliaacv No electronics where we sleep. The cool blue light of the TV screen suppress the Melatonin, the hormone that induces drowsiness and the electronics stimulates your mind and increase the stress. The doctor said to my husband to throw everything electronic to our bedroom because he had constant headaches during the night. It took several months after we did, but now he is well.
@LadyDuck I wasn't aware of that, I did know that you should turn off the television and or computer before relaxing to go to sleep. I find it relaxing to fall asleep with the tv on sometimes.
Not that I am not smart to learn what a smart tv is all about but I do not need it. Our set up box gives us choices to watch anything under the sun
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
We have an XBox and use that for streaming Netflix, Youtube, etc. The boys all also have TV's and XBox's in their rooms. My daughter has a smart Blu Ray player so she can stream Netflix.
We had a Netflix account, but didn't renew it because we didn't enjoy the programming on it. We like going to each network and watching shows that way, which we did for a bit earlier today.
@Juliaacv the kids use Netflix the most, otherwise I wouldn't renew it either.
@katsmeow1213 You're the first person that told me that, I was starting to wonder if we didn't have odd taste in the shows that we like to watch.
No we don't. We have the DirectTV. But if we don't keep getting a good deal on it, we will change.
We had a dish at our old home, but since we don't watch a lot of television, we cancelled it late last spring because we found that with the TV Keys that we bought we could watch enough channels to get the news and whatnot and satisfy us. The keys don't do the trick here because in Canada we don't have those free to air channels like they do in the states, and we tapped into those at our old place as we were closer.
@Juliaacv I hear a lot of people are dumping the dishes and cable. And using the Netflix and things like that instead.
@Susan2015 I personally do not care for the line-up on Netflix, we had an account, but cancelled it due to that reason.
@sueznewz2 (9875)
• Alicante, Spain
No we don't Julia but its because our internet supply is not good enough in spain there was too much of a buffer / drag effect so we have gave up... I like your comment about not being as smart as our phones and tv's... I know i'm not...lol.
No me either......not even as smart as the remotes for them!
@sueznewz2 (9875)
• Alicante, Spain
@Juliaacv yes ... thats true too ... lol
@alberello75 (17169)
• Genova, Italy
No, I do not have smart TV, at least for now ...
We have an extra working television because of our purchase of the new one yesterday.
@alberello75 (17169)
• Genova, Italy
@Juliaacv I do not like to spend, so I'm content with what I have
I am not buying cable here at the new house, but I will stream Netflix, Hulu and YouTube using my Apple TV. I can set it up myself but for anything complicated I have my sons available, one here permanently and one here for the next month or so.
Since our large screen tv is 2 years old, there aren't the apps on it that the new one that we bought on the weekend has, so we bought an apple tv device. But I'm technically challenged, so I don't know how to use it as of yet.
We have a smart TV which my daughter brought with her when she moved in with me. It seems easy when she's using it but I'm apt to stick to basics and let her navigate the streaming stuff
That is what I do. In fact right now we are sitting here with the television off-for a nice change.
It's nice catching up with progress. I got a smart TV when I moved in here. So I stream Netflix through it. I do also have cable, that was also installed today getting rid of AT&T. Good riddance.
Up here if you want cable then you have to take out a contract, and the price increases every few months and it really is quite expensive.
We just got a smart tv for christmas, from my bf. We use it for netflix.
Two years ago we bought a large screen smart tv but have not really used the smart side of it for anything besides Netflix. We were not huge fans of the line up that they had on Netflix so cancelled our subscription, we'll have to find something else now-there is so much more available and also streaming from network sites.
@dodo19 (32634)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It's good that you guys are being smart and trying to save. We don't have a smart TV, but we do have a DVD player that allows us to watch Netflix, Youtube and such.
I do not know exactly what we will be able to stream once they fix it up for us.
• Pamplona, Spain
No, just the normal plasma television and that´s it. We don´t want them at the moment we are very happy with the ordinary ones. Hope you get it all set up though. We have a Desktop for the Internet.
@RubyHawk (23473)
• Atlanta, Georgia
No we have a plain old TV. I didn't know there were smart TVs
No we don't have a smart TV or cable and I don't even have a cell phone.
@Jackalyn (6657)
• Oxford, England
I never have. This is because I do not own a TV set.
No. We only use the local one here in our country Hehehehe. We don't have extra for smart TV. God bless.
We stream on an older television.