Needing to occupy the mind.

Picture yourself sitting in a hospital waiting room surrounded by people you do not know. Now think about the family member in surgery. They are close to you and its going to take 6 or more hours for the surgery to even be completed. And then you have the recovery time. Obviously sitting in one of the chairs with your thoughts is a bad idea. So what do you do to occupy your mind? I chose music and an adult coloring book.
@1creekgirl (11500)
If I don't have family to talk to, I usually have a book to read or play on my phone.
I would read, but I would find it hard to concentrate unless the book is a very interesting one.
I had brought a book with me. It was one of my favorite books by sherry kenyon and I was unable to keep my mind on the book with all of the noise around me.
@1creekgirl (11500)
@AmethystD85 Sometimes it helps to get up and walk around a bit. A lot of hospitals have a garden to wander around in.
@Nawsheen (22988)
• Mauritius
I guess reading a book will be the best thing to do for me. It will help divert my mind
@CRK109 (14435)
I almost always have a book with me, and my smartphone if there's someone I can chat with for a while. Love the idea of the coloring book! And let's face it, music can be such a calming influence. Who's in surgery?
My little sister had surgery today. I was a nervous ball of emotion. She is out now but I couldn't get my mind focused on anything. so I put my ear buds in and started coloring.
@CRK109 (14435)
@AmethystD85 I hope everything is okay with her! And I understand how you were feeling. As I said before, I think the coloring was a brilliant idea! I never thought of doing that!
@CRK109 Adult coloring books were introduced to me last year. I find it enjoyable and easy to pass the time. I also think it brings me back to when I was a kid. It can be fun to bring yourself back to childhood. Its relaxing in some ways. Also my sister will be fine and should be home sometime tomorrow afternoon.
I would read a novel. I would have quite a few with me so that I could spend the waiting-time reading.
I do love reading. One of my favorite past times is to curl up in or outside with a good book. Sometimes it will be a book I have read several times over. My only problem on this day was no matter how hard I tried I could not constraint on the book I was trying to read. To many people around me and worried.
@AmethystD85 Yes, I get distracted from a book if too many people are around. Hard to focus on much of anything in a setting with lots of people.
@peachpurple (12769)
I was in that surgery room 11 years ago, it took me 8 hours to get out from the surgery room and knocked me out for almost a day. My hubby was outside waiting and went off working and came back waiting again. My brother in law also came. No point waiting all the time, just carry on with your work.
It seems that waiting was the worse thing I could have done lol. I just couldn't concentrate on anything else