My new book .., Not a good read....

@sueznewz2 (10141)
Alicante, Spain
Just recently I started a new book, by a new author, but very quickly,  I found difficulty with his style of writing... Now .... just so that you know... I know my written English is not wonderful,  and perhaps should not comment on other peoples..., but ..., that isn't going to stop me... He used big words ..., what I mean is..., he used words that are not often used, by most people...  especially  during some of his descriptive passages, ( well... I've not come across them before anyway), perhaps some of you more learned people have,  but even so, I bet you do not use them in your every day conversations, because there are much more easily recognisable and understandable words that can be used instead, and it was only a novel, so I felt there was no real reason, to use that high a level of  vocabulary. Here are the words he used .... Scintillant - which means ... sparkle, shine, gleam, glint , shimmer.... ( you get the picture) Declivity - which means... a downward slope... ( I sussed this one out by its context, but checked in a dictionary as well. Insouciance - which means... nonchalance, unconcern and indifference. Coruscating - Which is very similar to Scintillant... Coruscating, means ... sparkling, shi ning, scintillating, shimmering and gleaming... and...brilliant and dazzling... Some of his paragraphs & sentence constructions were also a bit strange, and I found myself re-reading the same paragraphs 2 or 3 times, in the end I gave up... have you ever had to stop reading, for similar reasons, ? it was a shame really, as I was enjoying the plot and story..., but just couldn't  get on with his style of writing... The photo is one of mine, even tjough it has nothing to do with the subject of the post
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
No I sure don't use those words in my everyday life. I don't care for books I can't understand either.
@sueznewz2 (10141)
• Alicante, Spain
no I don't either... @fishtiger58 it takes the pleasure out of reading them...
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@sueznewz2 For sure if I have to struggle to understand I don't read the book. However that being said I hate to start a book and then not finish.
@sueznewz2 (10141)
• Alicante, Spain
@fishtiger58 yes me too...
I loved the photo there.what type of flowers are these.
@sueznewz2 (10141)
• Alicante, Spain
I'm sorry alfredo, @amadeo I have no idea, but will try and find out..
@sueznewz2 (10141)
• Alicante, Spain
@sueznewz2 @amadeo I have found the name ... they are called bellis...
@sueznewz2 that is interesting.Not sure I ever heard of this one.But will remember when shopping for flowers
This sound more like old style British, I can very well understand all those words because they come from Latin.
@sueznewz2 (10141)
• Alicante, Spain
I agree with you, Anna ... I think they maybe older words, and have dropped out of regular use in todays modern english.
@sueznewz2 I have read recently an Italian book full of old words that surely my niece could not even understand. I am old enough to remember them.
@responsiveme (16816)
The photo is fantastic.....What's the book name. I am enjoying the one I am reading....Detective....Mrs pollifax on safari
@sueznewz2 (10141)
• Alicante, Spain
I can not remember the book name, sorry @responsiveme
@silvermist (20116)
@Hate2Iron Well,such words would be a bvig put off. That photo is very beautiful.
@sueznewz2 (10141)
• Alicante, Spain
thanks silvermist @Hate2Iron I'm glad you like the photo... yes it was off putting ... I don't mind the odd word... but I'd only read three chapters lol
@drannhh (15240)
I actually never noticed that your English isn't wonderful. It is sort of like the comment attributed to Abraham Lincoln in defense of his dachshund -- that it's legs were long enough as they touched the ground. But about your book, I love books like that. Who is the author?
@sueznewz2 (10141)
• Alicante, Spain
Thanks @drannhh I can't tell you the authors name as the book is at home on the bookshelf, and I'm on a work placement for another 10 days ... sorry... [
@JESSY3236 (7263)
I have read an author that used big words too. He had a glossary in the back of the book of the big words. I did enjoy and read the whole book I have stopped reading a book once. It was about druids. I didn't like how the book was going, I think.
@sueznewz2 (10141)
• Alicante, Spain
I'm glad you finished the book you were reading... @JESSY3236 But i'm afraid I did not have the patience. ..
@PatZAnthony (12970)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We were taught to write so that readers will understand. Not sure what that author's mission was, but it was not to have people understand unless they use a dictionary while reading.
@sueznewz2 (10141)
• Alicante, Spain
that's what I thought too @PatZAnthony
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Most of those words I have heard, or at least know what they mean. But I'm not in the majority here I'm sure. I am an English major with a degree in it. So generally I know words, that are never used. Lol, I'm also a huge nerd. Anway, I HATE when I start a book and its not very good.
@sueznewz2 (10141)
• Alicante, Spain
I'm glad you see what I mean, @thislittlepennyearns as it spoilt my enjoyment of the book, which wasxa pity as I wanted to know who did it ..
@lady1993 (19979)
hmm, that is quite troublesome, since that limits his book to readers that are well-versed it would b troublesome to always stop and look up the meaning of a difficult word in the dictionary Lemony Snicket uses some unfamiliar words too, but since his is a children's book he explains the words quite well