Making a Statement in a Little Pink Volkswagon

pic courtesy of Pixabay
By Val
@valmnz (13157)
New Zealand
I came across this photo on Pixabay this morning and it reminded me of the only pink volkswagon I've ever seen. It was back in the 1950s and my parents had a rather flamboyant lady friend who used colour in such a way it slashed through the drabness of our own everyday life. One way she made her colour statement in the world was by driving around in her little pink car, turning all eyes as she drove by. Whenever I think of that woman now, I remember her car more clearly than the woman herself. Well, the car and her permed blue rinse hair and the glistening pearls she wore in the day-time.
@Plethos (5480)
you dont see permed blue rinsed hair and pearls combo anymore. thats an extincted generation nowadays.
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
Sure is!
@hereandthere (25135)
what a coincidence. i just saw a yellow beetle this morning and it made me smile. they always do. both the old original shape and the new one. way back in high we had a female teacher who drove what we call the batman car. we also had a teacher who would wear one color all over, for example, red blouse, skirt, shoes, bag, hair accessory and earrings.
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
Some people are more colourful than others - and some cars too
@Morleyhunt (17487)
When I was about seven we had a teacher at school who drove a lilac coloured car. We all (the students) called it Mr DenDekker's Easter egg. The car was shaped similar to the Fiats I see now. Every time I see a pastel coloured car I think of that Easter egg.
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
Isn't it funny how cars weren't expected to be bright and colourful back in our childhood.
@xFiacre (6771)
@valmnz It takes a certain kind of person to pull off being colourful - I'm not one of them!
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
I don't think I am either
@zebra2222 (4889)
Can't miss a car like this.
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
Certainly can't and neither could the rest of my 1950s world.
I quite like eccentric people. If I keep making stupid mistakes (I thought I had the wrong date for a workshop today but I only had the wrong venue) I'll need to start promoting myself as eccentric.
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
Aren't all writers and musicians eccentric?
@valmnz Quite possibly. Maybe eccentricity goes with the territory. Does eccentricity automatically make me a writer perhaps? That would be good.
@JudyEv I forgot to say Vin and I say that most musicians are temperamental - half temper and half mental.
@garymarsh6 (12353)
Pink is a bit of a jaw dropping colour even today!
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
But don't we all turn our eyes when we see one!
@garymarsh6 (12353)
@valmnz Yes sometimes the jaw hits the floor too!
Lol! She would had left an impression on me, too!
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
Talking with my older brother he had quite a different impression of her.
I remember some pink Volkswagen "bugs" back in the late sixties. The Americans loved pink Cadillac cars, a lot more visible than a Volkswagen.
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
In our neighbourhood any new car was highly visible!
@valmnz The cars had more "personality" in the past, they look all identical to me in our days.
@responsiveme (14249)
She sure added colour to the surroundings.was she always turned out like that?
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
From my childhood perspective she was always a dash of colour in a drab working class street!
@PainsOnSlate (19681)
I love color and imagine someone like her who loves color is hard to forget. My best friend had a VW - red and she painted black spots on it. I have a photo somewhere from my wedding with her car in my driveway. I might have to find that photo...
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
That would be an amazing sight. I grew up in a very earthy coloured family but learned to enjoy colour later in life.
There are some things you never forget. A pink car would be one of them.
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
Especially in the 1960s
@BellaDoc (771)
• San Diego, California
She sounds like a fun person. My parentd had a white VW for a while...I'd have loved to have painted it pink :)
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
I don't remember much fun about her at all!
@nitsbubb (271)
• New Delhi, India
The color in the picture is really very good and very attractive. No doubt it will be remembered forever. BTW this model is considered to be an antique piece and is very costly.
@valmnz (13157)
• New Zealand
I imagine it wasn't cheap to buy back in the 1950s either.