From an Underground Car Park to the Crematory

underground car park
Denmark
This morning I went to an eye-specialist. The doctor's office is on the third floor of a high-rise building. It stands opposite the train station. Between it and the train station is a large square which has just become an enormous building site because an underground car park is being built there. When I came into the waiting-room, I went to the window to look down and see what was going on and how far the work had already progressed. A woman joined me. I said to her that I thought it was a good idea to build the underground car park because the area is always too full of cars. She became a bit excited and exclaimed, "They (Who? I guess she meant the town council, the mayor and everone else responsible for decisions concerning the town) have money for *this*!". She pulled a face and nearly spat the words. "Instead of doing something for the refurbishment of the crematory." I must say that I'm usuall quick at repartee but this beat me. How on earth did the woman get from an undergound car park to the crematory? Maybe the hole in the ground initiated the train of thoughts? Digging --> dying -- graveyard -- crematory? I was then called to be examined. Before I left I told the doctor and her assistant who happened to stand at the door about this conversation. We had a good giggle together.
Could be she is employed there and would like to see it get a face-lift.
• Denmark
Sounds sensible.
• San Jose, California
Still, it seems like a random thing to just rant at a stranger. I think would have been speechless in your situation too.
@pgntwo (20217)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Definitely the pits... Actually, I think the term "crematorium" is more common in the UK. Money to burn, I can see that logic!
@dragon54u (31407)
I don't understand why she would want the crematory refurbished unless I misunderstand what one is. How do you refurbish what is basically a furnace? Or does she want the building to look prettier? That was a pretty bizarre train of thought but, as we say here, it takes all kinds to make up a world!
• Denmark
I think the furnace doesn't work well anymore and the whole building is a bit run-down. It was built in the year 1911.
@dragon54u (31407)
@MALUSE Wow, I would guess that it needs a bit of work! Still, taking care of the living is a bit more important than attending the empty husks of those who have departed.
• Denmark
@dragon54u Just my thoughts!
Good grief, she has some mental problems, how can someone jump from building a parking to a crematorium?
• Denmark
The incident happened yesterday but I still have to think of it. The woman has definitely given me a story I'm going to retell many times. The point will always be a success!
• Denmark
@LadyDuck Indeed? I haven't met people like that. I only know people who always want to talk about diseases. The topic may occupy your mother's mind because she's already very old. It may not be macabre for her but certainly is for the younger generation.
Not sure on this.?
• Denmark
What do you mean? I don't understand.
@MALUSE well I do not have an answer to this.My mind is blank on this.
• Denmark
@amadeo You're not the only one! I haven't got the foggiest idea how this woman's mind worked.
@Ronrybs (6938)
• London, England
It seems pretty unsual to meet someone so worked up over the crematory. Good thing you were able to make a quick getaway!
• Denmark
You think she saw me as a potential candidate? Well, I am. Everybody is. But I intend to wait for some more years. :-)
@Ronrybs (6938)
• London, England
@MALUSE Same here, the longer the better!
That was ... Odd.
• Denmark
. . . to say the least! :-)
I guess her brain is just programmed differently than others
• Denmark
That is a nice way of putting it! :-)
@MALUSE I have met a few like her in my lifetime.
@boiboing (12261)
• Northampton, England
I'm not sure if you mean cemetery or crematorium but I don't know the word crematory.
• Denmark
The dictionary says that both crematory and crematorium exist. Should I change all crematories into crematoria (Latin plural!)?
@FayeHazel (13442)
Oh dear how morbid. At least it made an interesting story
• Denmark
Indeed. Life is stranger than fiction!
Something obviously led the woman's mind along this devious path.
Sometimes people's minds wonder from thing to thing. She knew what she was talking about and that was all that mattered.
@CRK109 (14290)
It's interesting how people's minds work. I often have conversations like that with my nephew. I will be talking about something and suddenly he will interject with a completely different subject, as if we'd been talking about that for hours! lol
@Nawsheen (22941)
• Mauritius
I am just wondering what she was thinking when you told her about the car park. There is so much difference between car park and crematory. Maybe for her refurbishment of the crematory seemed to be a better idea and i would also like to know why she thought like that
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
And there I was thinking that they'd turned an underground parking garage into a crematorium. If it's any consolation, there's a big debate going on here in the "twin city" about building an above-ground parking garage. Lots of controversy in a town whose Main St. has a dozen or more empty storefronts. Sometimes when I drive through there, it does feel somewhat morbid, as though the place IS a crematorium, or should be.
@Fleura (6804)
I expect she had recently had some sort of spat with 'Them' over the state of the said 'crematory' and they had told her there was no money for a refurbishment. Seems quite simple to me!
Anything can trigger thoughts. Don't we often say 'That reminds me........."?
Well, for some reason, the crematory is dear to her heart. How a crematory can be dear to one's heart is beyond me, but I sure hope she has a reason for her concern regarding the welfare of the crematory.