Our present world

Chile
I don´t know whether I´m in a pessimistic mood because I have been ill for 3 days. But I´m seeing this world as a generation of addicts. Children begin their lives with tablets, nintendos and cell phones. As they grow up with not a single social skill, they turn to drugs of all sorts to make them forget reality. Not that they leave the other addictions. I could name a lot of unreal things that take place instead of the real world. And this is given by governors, schools, parents and society in general. What a poor world are we leaving to our children
I just seen on FB where a friend just bought a tablet for their 3 month old grand daughter. They are picture of her there with the tablet warching cartoons.
I don´t envy the kids of the present.
@bagarad (11396)
• Paso Robles, California
That is sad. No wonder the world is in such bad shape.
@bagarad That poor baby will be a tablet addict before she learns how to read.
@SonjaRae (4895)
@marguicha I remember as a child, we played outside after our homework and chores were done, until dinner time or when the street lights came on. Television was limited to channels 2,4,5,7,9,11,& 13, We didn't have remote controls, parents would call us over to the television to turn the dial for them, until they found something they wanted to watch. We relished and thrived in the freedom we had; not being attached to the addiction of social media sites, and electronics!
That was what happened during my childhood too.
@SonjaRae (4895)
@marguicha Simpler time for certain! Roller Skates with metal wheels that strapped onto my tennis shoes, jump rope and hopscotch! oh shoot @CoralLevang I remember using those white rocks to draw the hopscotch pattern on the side walk on Bircher Street!
@SonjaRae some good times!
Not all parents give their children electronics all the time. Blame the parents for being losers
The amount of parents that do that is growing. And the problem is that you, as a parent, cannot keep your child completly away from technology.
@marguicha no you can expose them to it but you can also limit it. You are the freaking adult. Kids can go outside, ride bikes, read books, do puzzles, learn to cook, etc. My sister lets her 2.5 year old watch videos on her iPad but there is a strict limit on how long she can do that.
@NJChicaa I hope your sister is able to control her child when her chold is twice that age.
@Slayqueen (945)
That is true.. a lot of my relatives do that.. they give their children a mobile or a tablet so that they won't bother anyone.. it really effects the behaviour and development of children..
I am sure that many of the attention disorders have to do with that.
@marguicha yes.. they don't like to play outside with other kids as well.. they're more busy in playing games in their tablet. It's a serious issue..
@Slayqueen I think that this could lead to many behaviour issues.
@magallon (17750)
It is so sad to know that most children now are taking the wrong path...
I´d say it is another path. But it surely is one that makes them addicts.
@magallon (17750)
@marguicha what do the parents are doing? They should be responsibleenough to guide their children.
@magallon It is not so easy though. Parents are also cellphone addicts.
@bagarad (11396)
• Paso Robles, California
I so agree with you. I think what children really crave is undivided parental attention and connection. Anything else is a substitute.
I am sure of that. And I don´t know if this world now can give children that kind of parents.
@bagarad (11396)
• Paso Robles, California
@marguicha There are still many such parents around. Just not enough.
@bagarad I know
I agree in many ways but there are some who are trying to do the right thing and bring up healthy, strong children.
I hope they can do it.
@TheSojourner (17488)
I just had a similar talk with someone about this yesterday. The social skills are sorely lacking.
Most kids are using all their spare time in front of a computer
@marguicha I know. It's terrible.
@CoralLevang Our childhood was better in some ways.
• Pamplona, Spain
I just hope they don´t give my little Sophie anything like that just yet. At the moment she has her Teddy Bear and a phone that speaks three languages but she only laughs at it bless her. She is nine months old on the Ninth of May this year.
I hope so too. But it seems that at some point parents just have to give in because, as the kids put it, all of the other kids at school have it. And it is true.
• Pamplona, Spain
@marguicha I held out and all their friends around them had everything but I could not buy those kind of things and not for many many years but they never went without the essential things.
@lovinangelsinstead21 My youngest daughter had to give in in part with Vicente because he did not have any friends at school. But still, as he got the nintendo later, he loves to read and he is in sports too.
@Kuttu_007 (1069)
The fact is the world we live in doesn't play by any rules...
I don´t agree. Everyone wants more gadgets and more money. And everything is disposable, including human beings.
@Kuttu_007 (1069)
@marguicha yeah...that's right..
@responsiveme (14448)
Lots of technical updates...Children need to play more
I wholly agree.
@scheng1 (24813)
I think we are just seeing the start of the worst. If you look into the children in the street, you will wonder why their parents want to give birth to them in the first place.
I don´t see many children in the streets where I live anymore. There is nothing of what we called neighborhood when I was young.
@scheng1 (24813)
@marguicha Some countries, such as Philippines, have a large number of street children who do not go to school. Many of them have no home to go to. This situation is serious enough that the Pope sounded a warning when he visited Philippines.
@scheng1 This is a pity. In our country that was taken care of by the government during the 50s and it made a big change in the country.
It is sad but very true what you say Marguicha. And other kids in the world will never have food or shelter also. A digsusting excuse of a world we are leaving.
So true! Parents and teachers and society in general look the other way.
@shynu44 (4423)
well I hope the present generation dont learn the hard way
I don´t expect them to return to the past. But I wish schools and youth clubs would make a difference.
@shivamani10 (11131)
• Hyderabad, India
Yes.I agree with you sometimes. As you are sick better do not think about these things.
I have never done that. I prefer to face reality.
I agree it's not good you see kids with electronics as their babysitters.
You are so right!