Favorite "( )" Songs #4 - "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais"

Denver, Colorado
We are at #4 in my Favorite "( )" Songs series: songs with parentheses in the title (and the parentheses must contain actual lyrics.) Coincidentally (we did not plan this,) @FourWalls is doing both a country and a rock parenthetical titles countdown as well, so be sure to check those out. The fourth spot here belongs to "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" by The Clash. Dubbed "The only band that matters," The Clash formed in London in 1976, and enjoyed a ten year Rock and Roll Hall of Fame career. One of the all-time great punk bands, The Clash also incorporated styles such as reggae, dub, ska, and rockabilly into their sound. Highly influential, bands such as U2, Sublime, No Doubt, Rancid ("incurable Clash zealots,") Bad Religion, NOFX, and Green Day cite The Clash as a major influence. "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" was originally released as a single in the UK, where it reached #32 on the Singles chart. It was included the next year on the US release of their self-titled debut. Written by guitarists/vocalists Joe Strummer and Mick Jones, the song covers a lot of territory in four minutes. Strummer laments the pop reggae showcased at an all night reggae show at Hammersmith Palais before touching on topics such as violence, class struggle, racial unity, and the state of British punk. "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" is an all-time favorite Clash song of mine. They were possibly the most important band in punk history. This song is a big reason why. (Info verified by Wikipedia)
Such an awesome song. #2 in my All-Time Favourite Songs' list. Lyrics: Midnight to six man For the first time from Jamaica Dillinger and Leroy Smart Delroy W...
@FourWalls (16233)
I wholeheartedly approve (but you knew I would)!!!!!!
• Denver, Colorado
I knew you would. I swear I was sure you were going to use it.
Yes the good old Clash..love the favorite of mine too London Calling.
• Denver, Colorado
I love "London Calling." The album, too.
@teamfreak16 No one like them Scott..so glad you posted about them.
@Ronrybs (8105)
• London, England
Never been in the Hammersmith Palais, but walked past it many a time
• Denver, Colorado
Is it a big venue? I like the name alone.
@FayeHazel (22124)
I didn't know there were so many ( ) songs. Even though they influenced a lot of my favorite bands The Clash never really grabbed me for some reason...
• Denver, Colorado
Oh, it was actually a chore cutting it down to just ten songs. Lyrics only helped.
The Clash! There's almost a reggae influenced bounce in this one.
• Denver, Colorado
They definitely loved their reggae.