60s Psychedelic: #5 "Fire" The Crazy World of Arthur Brown (1968)

Los Angeles, California
“I am the God of Hellfire!” Before Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Ozzy Osborne and Marilyn Manson there was rock’s insane stage character Arthur Brown. They and others were influenced by the British Brown who is the Godfather of shock rock. Not only did he wear garish makeup (KISS copied) and perform bizarre dance moves while erupting into primal screams, Brown liked to set himself on fire on stage. His trademark “flaming head” was perfected by wearing a burning helmet. Formed in 1967, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown were Brown (vocals), Vincent Crane (organ), Drachen Theaker (drums) and Nick Greenwood (bass). Pete Townsend exec produced their self titled album containing “Fire.” ?“Fire, I’ll take you to burn Fire, I’ll take you to learn I’ll see you burn” “Fire” was recorded without guitar or bass. The gold single was a huge hit going #1 in the UK and #2 US. That was Brown’s moment. The group broke up in 1970. Brown went on to concept group Kingdom Come and played the priest in the movie “Tommy.” Crazy World reformed in 2000. This one hit wonder is considered influential in heavy metal and progressive rock.
Here is a performance of Fire by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown performed in the Top of the Pops studio in 1968. It was originally broadcast on 18-7-1968
@FourWalls (15180)
What I find amazing is that Carl Palmer played drums for TCWOAB before his ELP days. In Tommy? In the Church of Marilyn Monroe, where Eric Clapton sang "Eyesight to the Blind"? I didn't recognize him without his headgear.
• San Jose, California
Wait, THAT Carl Palmer? I had no idea!
@FourWalls (15180)
@spiderdust -- ooh, what a lucky man he is (given that he's the only member of ELP still living)....
@spiderdust (7174)
• San Jose, California
He's still putting out crazy music! Or at least crazy videos. I found this a few months ago, and knew exactly who you were talking about when I read your post. Enjoy!
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - "The Unknown" take from the album "Zim Zam Zim" released 28th July 2014 pre order link coming here soon.
@Ronrybs (7392)
• London, England
One of those songs that never goes away! Didn't realise that he was involved with Kingdom Come
@millie02 (6905)
I can remember seeing this on Top of the Pops when I was very young.
Yes he was king of theatrics. What a wonderful song that was. Loved it John.
Yes! I love this song. I even wrote about it back on Bubblews.
I remember him vaguely, but it wasn't really my sort of music.
@dragon54u (31636)
I LOVED that song!! I didn't know about his stage antics, I'll have to look at that in a bit. He really impressed the young me and probably set me up as a future metal head!
@Raelove (17579)
• Saco, Maine
I'm enjoying how you're pulling all these gems from the past. Another one I used to like. Thanks!
@megatron777 (3777)
• Guam
@JohnRoberts Quite interesting to read this discussion.