Musicals

@sissy15 (5125)
I often forget how much I love stage musicals or any musical really. I grew up watching and loving musicals. I think I watched and rewatched Peter Pan with Mary Martin and Wizard of Oz as a kid more than just about any other movie. I remember my love of musicals started very early on, as far back as I can remember really. I remember dancing along with Gene Kelly to Singin' in the Rain. I know a lot of people who never cared for musicals because they say they're simply not realistic, but let's be honest, how many movies do you watch and think "yup, everything in this movie is completely realistic!"? I remember being called odd as a child because other kids just didn't get how I could watch those sort of movies. I wasn't the typical kid and I remember growing up and realizing most people found me odd and I remember being called a freak, which I never considered myself. I loved musicals before it was back in. I remember when musicals became popular again and suddenly people were trying to tell me how great they were, and I could only think "oh, so NOW it's ok?" What once made me odd is suddenly something everyone loves? If I'm being honest, the new musicals have nothing on the old ones. I will never consider High school musical on par with Singin' in the rain. I will never put any of the new musicals in the same category as the old ones. As much as I love Hugh Jackman, I hated Les Mis. I know everyone is going on and on about how great that movie is, but I honestly had a difficult time watching it. I only liked maybe 2 of the songs, and unfortunately, neither of them were sang by Hugh. I have seen clips of him in Oklahoma and what I've seen it looks amazing. I'd love to one day go to a broadway musical. Maybe one day it will happen, currently, that dream is far off in the future. I remember even as a kid I wanted to go see an actual musical. I remember dancing around to the musicals as I'd watch them on TV, and I'd just imagine one day I'd be able to go see one of those musicals live. It's funny what was considered odd once is suddenly in. I remember rolling my eyes when the same people who would tease me for my taste in movies suddenly started going on about them. I do remember being in acting and directing in high school, which was a drama class that taught you how to act and direct obviously, and a lot of them did have the same taste I did and I felt like I had found my people, even if I wasn't particularly good at either of those things, I did it to help me learn how to face my fears and I found some people that actually had a lot in common with me, and people who weren't simply pretending in order to fit in. I was never into Fred Astaire the way I was into Gene Kelly but I could appreciate his dancing, even if I preferred Gene dancing. Gene had a completely different style of dance that most people could relate to whereas Fred was more classical. To think, my love of musicals all started with Peter Pan and Wizard of Oz. I guess if we really think about it, most Disney movies are musicals only when I was a kid they were considered more normal because they were animated, where most of the musicals I loved weren't.
I much prefer the smooth floating on air grace of Astaire compared to the heavier physicality of Kelly. I also prefer 1930s musicals. One thing is for sure, they don't make musicals like they used to.
@sissy15 (5125)
It's all about preference. I will always prefer Gene, mostly because I like the modern edge Gene gave his dancing. Fred was smooth, but Gene kind of modernized it. I will say Fred was the one who taught Debbie Reynolds how to dance, he had more patience than Gene. Gene was a perfectionist and had little patience at times. Fred seemed like a stand-up guy. You really can't compare Gene and Fred's dancing because it's very different. I just prefer Gene's style. They definitely don't make them like they used to. I feel like I was born in the wrong era sometimes lol.
I like musials and would like to go to one.
@sissy15 (5125)
Maybe one day you'll get to. I would love to see a broadway musical but I really can't afford it. The musicals themselves aren't as expensive as I thought they would be but getting there and having a place to stay would be expensive.