How The Horse scored a $350 item for free!

Pleasant Hill, California
Actually, it would be a $350 item if it were working perfectly, but it's not. But I did get it for free. Last weekend (or was it the weekend before?) I drove out to Sacramento to pick up a single Dynaco A-25 (a vintage loudspeaker for restoration) that I had won on eBay for $42. The seller was a really nice guy, and we chatted away about vintage audio gear, a nerdy but fun hobby. As I was leaving, he said, "Hey, do you want a 1965 KLH Model 25 console? If we can get it into your SUV, you have have it for free. I need my garage back!" I said "Heck yes," and we loaded it up. When I got home, I did my DD, and found that this unit (which I had never heard of) sold for $350 in 1965, and still commands that in good condition on the vintage audio market. You can see that this thing has an ugly plant ring on top, but that's right up my alley. When I fired it up, I found that the amplifier works, the tuner works, the woofers work, the tweeters are silent, and the turntable won't turn on for me. So I'll see what I can get for it once I've cosmetically restored it. I don't have the time to take it apart and work on the "innards." My child laborer says, "Sell it for a thousand dollars!" I immediately appointed him Marketing Manager of our little operation, but I think I'll be prudent and shoot for around $150.
My mom had a beautiful one that had a bar inside it. It was in excellent condition and worked perfectly. She willed it to my oldest sister who treasures it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, I would too. My parents had an even older (than 1965) one with tubes in it. It sounds great. I'm not sure what became of it.
@TheHorse they were a things back in the day.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Happy2BeMe People who got rid of the old tube stuff didn't realize what they were doing.
@Platespinner (18073)
So does your child laborer consider his reassignment to marketing a promotion?
• Pleasant Hill, California
He doesn't care. He wants me to come cycling with him right now. I worry that he's becoming a bit too big for his britches.
@TheHorse Maybe he needs bigger britches .
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Platespinner He's on a short leash right now. He tailgated me on his bicycle and tore the heck out of my left calf with his bike today.
Nice new job for you. I like the wood color. Is that cherry?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm not even sure. It's called Fruit Wood, I think.
@TheHorse ......Pretty.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle I'm hoping it looks good when we're done. In general, people like walnut better. But my child laborer and I will make this look pretty good.
You'll have fun restoring this. I put a bucket on warm water on our dining table and that has left a ring so when you run out of work......
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, I'll stop by on my way to Trader Joe's. Hey, is Herc feeling better?
@TheHorse He was back eating today although he would have left his pellets to come up to the house with us if we'd allowed it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JudyEv Well, I'm glad that love trumps food. But I'm glad he's eating again as well.
Good for you there
• Pleasant Hill, California
We'll see what comes of it. I'm almost done restoring the top.
The old turntables were easier to repair. I have a question, did you try to play a record? Some turntables do not start to spin until the tone arm is is over the turntable.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeah, I did that. This is one of those old time "changers," so I tried every combination and purmutation I could think of.
@TheHorse In this case it is very possible that it is the belt. I am pretty sure that you can find online tutorial to replace the old one with a new belt.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck It could be the belt. But I'm not sure that I'm wedded enough to this thing to do the research and fully fix the innards. If I fix the wood, someone else can find the belt and replace the capacitors on the way to the tweeters. I not retired, so I have to set my limits.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
That's a beautiful piece of furniture. You might get more than you think..
• Pleasant Hill, California
That would be really cool. It IS a well-made piece.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheHorse It is and will likely last longer than some new furniture.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@RubyHawk It has a space for 33s (records) or books. I suppose one could "clear it out" and use it as a hallway unit.
If anyone can market this thing, it is your child laborer! You definitely will have it looking really good!!
• Pleasant Hill, California
We have the top almost sanded down. I'll attach a picture of our work as of this afternoon.
@TheHorse Oh good. Looking forward to the photo! The top looks great! It will be a beauty when all is done.
@FourWalls (9520)
Yeah, get those child laborers to working on it!!!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm doing most of the work on this one. But he's helped me a little bit.
Aim high. Shoot for $2000! Then when they talk you down to $150, they'll think they got quite the bargain! That kid is a genius.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I see a great future for him.
@GreatMartin (4313)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Listen to your child laborer--you can always come down in price!!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh heh. OK, I'll start at $1000. His name is Martin, same as my favorite dreadnought guitar!
@DeborahDiane (15871)
• Laguna Woods, California
@TheHorse - That is great! I love it when I luck into a nice freebie!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Here's what it looks like as of today. I hope I can find a happy home for it fairly soon.
• Laguna Woods, California
@TheHorse - Wow! It looks gorgeous. I'm sure someone will be very pleased with it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@DeborahDiane It's a cool console. But it needs both cosmetic and electronic work. I'll do the former and then see what happens.
I've got a pair of consoles here I picked up free, one needs a turntable and the other works fine but needs the volume pot cleaned, and they could use a bit of sanding to get rid of some stains. Haven't decided quite what I'm gonna do with them yet.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I like the sanding and oiling part. The rest is "work." Volume pot: Do you just give it a De-Oxit bath?
@TheHorse Yep, and if that doesn't work I'll replace it. I do have a horn tweeter out on the left side of the Magnavox.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JolietJake My parents had a tubed Magnavox console in the early days. It rocked.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
My grandparents had one almost identical to that, but it was painted. John Deere green, probably by my uncle.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Well, my Great-Great Grandfather knew John Deere, back in Moline Illinois, but I still think I'd prefer natural wood. Heh.
@Fleura (5800)
Having just looked at the 'after' picture, you both did a great job!
@nanette64 (13126)
• Fairfield, Texas
How cool is that @TheHorse ; you never know when you're gonna stumble upon something unexpected.
@spiderdust (2710)
• San Jose, California
I'd love to see pictures of the cosmetic restoration!