In Case You're Wondering If It's Love or LOVE?

A Boy, A Girl, and A Lake  License to use purchased by DW Davis
@DWDavis (15034)
Pikeville, North Carolina
You may not have noticed but I changed my profile picture, again. The picture I am using now is the background for the cover of my next book. I would tell you the book's title, but it doesn't have one yet. The working title is One Boy, Two Islands, but that won't be the final title. The book is with my editor right now and I'm hoping she can brainstorm with me to come up with a good title that will catch the reader's eye. This book is about a boy who learns that loving someone and being in love with someone are two very different things. Have you ever loved someone, and thought you were in love with them, until someone else came along whom you truly fell in love with? How would you describe the difference between loving someone and being in love with someone?
@UncleJoe (11257)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
When I was a young man I mistakenly felt that I was in love when I was actually in heat. Nevertheless, I have been in love with Becky since 1962. I loved my 2 previous wives but I was never "in love" with them.
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It can be difficult to distinguish between lust, love, and being in love. At the outset, I think the 3 have a lot of similarity. As I said in my comment on @JudyEvans response, I wonder how much of it is the pull of our genes toward a mate who would produce viable offspring.
@UncleJoe (11257)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@DWDavis Similarities because the word "Love" can mean different things. We can love someone for what they do for us, (or what we might expect them to do for us) or we can love somebody in a manner that we want to give to them. Instead of looking to them to make us happy, we actually are happiest when we please them. Does that make sense?
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@UncleJoe Yes, that does make sense. I have heard that you know you are in love with someone when making them happy is more important to you than your own happiness.
Being in love with someone means even in the worst times still standing by their side. Not giving up when it gets tough. It's wanting the other person to be happy even if it means your unhappy for the moment. It's your heart breaking in half when the other is hurting. It's rejoicing when they are truly happy. It's not about who you can live with, being in love is being with the person you can't live without.
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I like the way you describe being in love, especially your last line. It sums being in love very nicely.
@DWDavis Thank you. =)
No, cannot say that I have.
@EddieHands (37800)
yes i used to believe in love.. it was long ago.. meow!
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
What happened to make you stop believing?
@EddieHands (37800)
@DWDavis many things.. but mostly i once met someone.. but never again. Chances of it ever happening again.. are so low i just forgot what love was
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@EddieHands I hope someday someone enters your life who can remind you of what love is and help you believe in it again.
@1creekgirl (12482)
My husband says you can't truly love your mate until you've been together for at least ten years. Real, abiding love takes time. There are no shortcuts.
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I wonder what made him decide on ten years.
@1creekgirl (12482)
@DWDavis Not sure, but we've been married 51 years! (I was a child bride.)
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@1creekgirl 51 years of marriage is certainly something to celebrate. My wife and I will celebrate 29 years this summer.
I think it is hard to tell the difference at the time. I'll be interested in reading the comments.
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I've wondered lately if the attraction might not come from deep in the DNA. Two people are pulled together because their combined DNA will produce healthy offspring. Evolutionarily speaking, this would make sense.
@DWDavis That's true and a very interesting thought. I've known couples whose genes weren't compatible and all children had major health issues. I'm not sure if these couples are still together but there would have to be exceptions anyway.
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@JudyEv I've wondered myself when I see couples whose children all have medical issues if it might be because their genetics weren't a good match.
I fell in love deeply and for forever when I was 17! I never was or have been interested in anyone else even though I dated some while he was overseas that first year. I met him in January during my senior year and he left in February, returning in October. During the senior events and the summer of travel, I dated but no one captured my interest. I was lucky in love. We were married the following March. We were married 45 years when he passed away 2 1/2 years ago.
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I am happy that you found your true love at so young an age and sad that you've lost him.
@DWDavis It is too bad, but I'm glad we had some wonderful retirement years.
I think being in love with someone would go a bit deeper. It would probably mean that you love everything about that person - faults and all.
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Or perhaps that you love them despite their faults. I suppose it's a semantic difference.
@DWDavis That's right - you could tolerate but you can't love their faults.
I remember that one book that I still have not read DW..I am such a procrastinator..I have it somewhere in here I hope!! It was the Beach One, can't recall the name of it you wrote. Love this cover photo of the new one you are working on. You are so productive I am in awe of you friend.
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
You must mean The Boy From Buzby Beach. It is the only one I've written so far with "Beach" in the title. I am working on publishing it in paperback for this summer. It has been a long and grinding process so far changing the formatting. I'm glad you like this cover. It took me searching through hundreds of photos to find one I thought fit the book.
@DWDavis I do like it yes it is by water and two happy people what more could we want? Yes thats the one..I must take a look if it is in my Amazon books I think it is DW.
@moffittjc (46172)
• Gainesville, Florida
Back in my married days, I realized after 11 years of marriage that I loved my wife, but I was not in love with her. Although I was sad to see the marriage end, it was the right thing to do for both of us. To this day we still love each other, and are best friends, but are not in love with each other. Good luck on the final edit of your new book, and can't wait to hear what the title ends up being!
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I am glad you and your ex have an amicable relationship. So often this is not the case. I heard from my editor this week, and she is nearly finished with the manuscript. I'm hoping she has some title ideas.
@RubyHawk (30479)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't think you can tell the difference at the beginning of a relationship. It's time that will tell.
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Perhaps it is only after the passage of time that one can determine the depth one's feelings for another.
I wish someone could describe it to me. I love someone with my whole heart. But I am not sure if I am in love with him. What I do know is I could be with him forever as long as we live apart.
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I had to smile when I read your last line about being with him forever as long as you live apart.
@sallypup (29308)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Lovely photo. Going to be a dreamy cover. I'm not sure what to say about loving and being in love.
@DWDavis (15034)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I hope the cover will intrigue readers enough they'll want to read the book. It is a bit different than my previous novels.
@LeaPea2417 (22412)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Being in love can mean only being in lust over someone, whereas loving someone is loving them in the good times and bad times and not giving up on them.