Anal-Retentive Accountants

Bunbury, Australia
ARM (@responsiveme) commented on one of my posts. She read 'two twenty-eight' parrots and thought there were 56. The error was blamed on the fact that ARM had been a maths teacher and 'twenty-eight' is a strange name for a bird anyway. It seems to me that some people are number-oriented and others prefer to deal with words. I know an accountant who later got a job in a school as a Careers Advisory Officer. He was hard put not to laugh when consulting with a mother about her son's choice of career path. The woman didn't want the child to become an 'anal-retentive' accountant. Vince is a numbers person. And he likes to be exact with his calculations. If I say it's seven kilometres to town, he'll butt in and say, very pompously, that 'actually, it's 7.2 kilometres'. Obviously, such remarks don't go down so well with me so he tends not to do it so often now – especially if I call him 'anal-retentive'. So are you a numbers person or a words person? Or a bit of both? The photo is of a sheep. I like sheep.
@TheSojourner (17304)
I think it's no surprise that I am a words person. The only time I become a numbers person is one I have to worry about how many characters or words a discussion needs to be! Haha
I love the word count thingy in Word when I'm writing stories. It is so useful.
@JudyEv exactly! But there's some accountant out there counting them to make sure that word count is accurate! Hahaha
@CoralLevang They (the accountants) are at our beck and call!
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
I am a clock watcher, I almost always know what time it is. As far as numbers go I like to round them out.
That's interesting. So you have an innate sense of what the time is? Cool.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@JudyEv I sure do, and when I haven't looked at the clock I am usually very close when I think I know the time.
I am a clock watcher too. Every morning I wale up, and i jot the time I awakening as I have good friends who I write every morning and my sister that i write my sister as it makes her know that I have made it through night and am okay
@xFiacre (5182)
@judyev numbers make no sense to me at all. Once I get to 10 I'm finished. My brother is even worse but is an accountant who simply cannot count. He says computers do the arithmetic for him and his role is deciding what to do with the answers the computers give him. He just decides which column the numbers go it. Nice sheep.
I'm surprised your brother enjoys being an accountant in that case. When my nephew first got a simple calculator as a young child he'd challenge my Mum to simple 'sums'. In most cases she could do it in her head quicker than he could tap in the numbers.
@Ronrybs (7392)
• London, England
About is close enough for me!
Exactly! Who needs the point this's and that's?
Math Ugh.I was the worse till we hit geometry Then I quit school and join the Navy.I was in my senior year Have no regret.Hated it
I quite liked geometry and algebra till they got too hard - which was about six months into the school year.
@Lupita234 Trigonometry was worse.
@JudyEv It was terrible.Who needs it not me.LOL
I can be focusing on nearly anything if I feel in the mood to be, but usually am not someone who constantly corrects others..it is the height of rudeness to me to do so and for me it is highly annoying if someone does that because it reveals to me a sort of retardation, someone who can only focus on one thing, or it can signify someone who feels a sort of false power or superiority, when in fact they are sub standard in their approach to life. Uh huh.
I know what you're saying but I don't think I'll pass it on to Vince! I was probably exaggerating a bit. We both give as good as we get.
@JudyEv Oh no no need to tell him lol He might get huffy Oh I know you can Judy give as good as you get and more power to you.
Definitely words. Bad at math. Of course you like sheep! Herc approves of that attitude.
I enjoyed algebra for a while but maths was never my strong point. I like an excuse to put up an unrelated photo occasionally.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I make the remark to a woman I was dating many years ago that the days were getting longer. She said, "Days are always 24 hours." I would have called her "anal-retentive" if I would have thought of it.
Haha. That's the sort of thing they come out with isn't it? And you can't really dispute it.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@JudyEv Yes. I heard her talking to one of her friends and she was very upset over my cooking. When I cook I guess at measurements. She was telling her friend that since I did not use exact measurements what I cooked should taste horrible but it didn't and that really upset her. How could something taste good when the measurements were not exact? Come to think of it, even though she wasn't working as an accountant she had gone to college and got a degree in accounting. I had forgotten that until just now. No wonder she was "anal-retentive"!
@RichardMeister Some of course are worse than others. Your (ex) friend sounds like she was a really bad case. Vince isn't that bad but he still doesn't cope well with generalities or averages when it comes to figures. And when he fills the car the next few miles are taken up with calculating how many miles per gallon or whatever. They can't seem to help themselves.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I like to round numbers off but really I'm a word person.
Most here seem to be but then it is a writing site. There doesn't seem to be any 'number' sites does there?
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@JudyEv I can't think of any use for a number site.
@Gillygirl No, it wouldn't work would it? Although they could argue about three decimal places or four!
@Inlemay (16911)
• South Africa
I am a bit of both, however i count all the time, when I walk, when I knit, when I drive I count lines - its a terrible compulsion. I also do the analytical thing with words. I have to define them while I talk, mostly in my head, but some times they come out loud. Am I nutty?
You're not nutty at all. I sometimes feel the need to count too but I don't always do it. There is a great book called 'Addition' by Toni Jordan and it's all about a girl who has COD and has to count everything.
@Inlemay (16911)
• South Africa
@JudyEv I might have that . . . .
@Inlemay It was a really interesting story and gave me a great insight into how OCD can be a real problem
@Freelanzer (9499)
Definitely a words person. Always hated math and was never that good at it even though I did take a one year accounting course and worked in the field for a short time, and I can do my own taxes as a result. I have survived and flourished without it. Good thing my husband is the math person and all my kids took after him in tat regard.
I did basic accounting as a mature-age student and coped but I'm really a 'word' person. I can't remember figures. I'm always having to ask Vince how much our rain-water tank holds so I can tell people but the number just doesn't stick. I think it's 10,000 litres. It doesn't help that Australia changed to decimal everything when I was about 16 so I don't have mental images of some metric values.
@JudyEv I can relate
@Lupita234 Yes I do
@CRK109 (14413)
Love the sheep! Not so much the numbers. Words work for me. And if someone asked me the distance from my seat to my door....I couldn't even tell you! Britt used to laugh at me for that and he tried teaching me, but....nope! didn't work.
The sheep are gorgeous aren't they? I might need to do a post on them.
@CRK109 (14413)
@JudyEv that would be fun! I always love learning about different breeds of sheep!
@CRK109 Me too. I did lots of posts on all livestock breeds on Infobarrel. And I think on Bubblews I might have done A-Z of sheep breeds. Australia once had just ordinary old Merinos then some British breeds started appearing and now there are all sorts.
Judy, my husband is a number person, I hate numbers, I am a words person. I love words puzzles, but you will never see me enjoy a Sudoku.
@Daljinder (22175)
@LadyDuck I don't enjoy Sudoku either. Its interesting to play but not my thing
@Daljinder It's not my thing either, I have never liked math and the numbers.
@Daljinder I enjoy most puzzles - as long as there's no adding up.
I'm a bit of both. I like writing, poetry and crosswords, but also enjoy sudoku and other complicated numbers puzzles.
Sudoku doesn't actually involve maths skills though does it? They could just as easily use symbols or letters. There is no actual adding up or whatever. 'Complicated numbers puzzles' are a different kettle of fish. I steer clear of them!
@JudyEv You're right of course, in fact I do some sudoku with letters. It's just logic really, but I enjoy them.
@pgntwo (22502)
• Carthage, Tunisia
Horses for courses... I can go either way, but don't quote me on that
Another well-rounded person - in a manner of speaking! So far most seem to be word people which isn't surprising on a writing site I guess.
@pgntwo (22502)
• Carthage, Tunisia
@JudyEv Not sure of any sites where you can solve equations and stuff, come to think of it...
@Nawsheen (22958)
• Mauritius
I am not so good at numbers. I am a words person
Me too. Simple maths is okay but I'm always need to check calculations.
@Nawsheen (22958)
• Mauritius
@JudyEv same here. I always have to double check.
• Pamplona, Spain
Words person for sure. Numbers are not my favourite thing really but there they are. I will stick with my words instead.
Definitely words for me too.
• Pamplona, Spain
@JudyEv For me also they agree with me more.
@Jackalyn (6843)
• Oxford, England
I suffer from mathematical dyslexia. Words are my big thing.
Is there such a thing? I sometimes transpose numbers. Maybe I have an excuse for being a bit slow numberwise.
@Jackalyn (6843)
• Oxford, England
@JudyEv Discalculia is very real. It is mathematical dyslexia. Had this been diagnosed in my childhood it would have saved many tears.
@responsiveme (16816)
Sheep..As in plural or single? Ha ha there goes the numbers again.... But I love words too...So for me it's a bit of both Nice being in a post.Thanks
Haha - one sheep or two - you can't help yourself can you? Vince is like that! But you're really well-rounded too - a bit of both.
I actually was a bookkeeper so I am a number person but words are my forte as well. Now science, that escapes me lol
Yes, science wasn't my forte either. I was always best at English and languages.