People of Walmart and a lesson in judgement

@FayeHazel (18007)
At times I enjoy the website called People of Walmart .  The website shows people who shop at Walmart and usually are awkwardly dressed or made up.  Those are the photos I find funniest - ones where people have made a choice to look a certain way through clothing, hair and make up.  There are some other photos - people climbing shelves, people with pets in Walmart, people doing acrobatics in the parking lot, people sleeping on the furniture and other such antics.  One photo on the website was of an overweight woman in a riding cart, tipped on it's side as she was reaching for a case of soda.  I usually don't find these as amusing - because someone could have gotten hurt.  It's supposed to be funny because it looks like the fat lady tipped over reaching for calorie laden sodas. Here is an article - the lady in the cart responds.  I will let you read it yourself, but I think we could all learn a lot from this woman who could have lashed out, but instead handles the photo and her disability with grace and a gentle reminder.
Jennifer Knapp Wilkinson is the woman seen in a cruel photograph that went viral years ago.
lol yes there are some real weirdo's at Wal-Mart to say the least.
@FayeHazel (18007)
Some days... I enjoy going later at night, when it's quiet
@Lolaze (3165)
I admit to laughing at that site from time to time but mainly at the people who are purposely dressed outlandishly. The weird thing is - I've never seen anyone who'd fit in the website any time I'm actually in a WalMart.
@FayeHazel (18007)
That's a good point you mention -- Come to think on it I have seen some fashion fails but liem you say I have not to my knowledge seen anything worthy of being on the people of Walmart site, while actually at a Walmart.
@Nawsheen (23076)
• Mauritius
Sometimes people do crazy things which they regret afterwards
@FayeHazel (18007)
So true
I've seen many pictures of people from Wal-Mart. I've never seen that one. I read the article and so sorry someone snapped that picture and poked fun at her. She does deserve respect.
@FayeHazel (18007)
That truly was too bad.... I admit I laugh sometimes at the people who have made a choice to dress oddly, because I figure it was their choice to do so. But her picture just makes me sad, She could have been hurt and I'm sure didn't choose to have to ride in that cart ... :-( But she handled it graciously. What a marvelous person...
@FayeHazel Yes she was a great person and handled it very well. Some of those people I think dress that way on purpose, so they earned the laugh they get.
Going to Walmart can be very entertaining.
@FayeHazel (18007)
At times that is so very true
@UncleJoe (9944)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I stopped going to Wal-Mart when people started taking pictures of ME.
@FayeHazel (18007)
Now were you the one in the rainbow colored cat suit, or were you the one with the zebra colored wig?
@Ronrybs (7299)
• London, England
Don't think this is a site I'd visit. They can be rather cruel attimes
@FayeHazel (18007)
True. There's enough mean-ness in the world. That is truly beautiful of you to put it that way. I admit sometimes I think they people who are dressed odd or made up funny - to be humorous. But ... not people like the lady in the article. :-(
@sishy7 (27647)
A myLotter posted about a customer in full body Dinosaur (T-Rex) costume walked around inside a Walmart store on here before.
@FayeHazel (18007)
I love that. :-) Exactly the sort of thing that would get you on the people of Walmart site.
@dragon54u (31617)
I looked at that website once and it just made me sad. Sad for the people depicted and sad for those who laugh at them.
@scheng1 (24800)
Good to find people with great sense of humor!
@Shellyann36 (9616)
So sad to hear about her condition. I think we as a society, in whole, are far too judgemental these days.
Now i am in tears, honestly having had many friends whom could be considered obese i have alot of sympathy for them, i hate when anyone makes fun of someone else and sites like the People of Walmart can often be very mean in spirit, i feel it's teaching hate as many kids and teens are on that site..... i agree the ones of people dressed funny are the ones that made me laugh, the cruel ones of those overweight upset me though..... What really got me is her final line "What I want is compassion, understanding and respect. I am a person — please treat me like one!" Everyone deserves compassion, understanding and respect.
I'm not a Walmart shopper, but I've seen many of the photos you mentioned. I read this woman's article, and it broke my heart. People are too quick to poke fun and judge others.