Annoyed

@sissy15 (5704)
I am currently annoyed that my boyfriend has to lose yet another day off because he's the first person his work calls in. I mean the money is nice and all but sometimes you just want to be able to spend time with your family. My boyfriend doesn't complain usually, and he goes in and covers for everyone else but it's rare anyone covers for him. He has a difficult time getting a day off and they give him such a difficult time when he tries to take a day off. He is one of the few workers there with a young kid and he has to miss out on a lot because of his work. He is the highest paid employee there apart from the managers but sometimes it's annoying to know that he works hard and the few times he has really needed a day off they won't give it to him. Everyone else comes before him when it comes to getting a day off. He gets to see his family like once or twice a year and they give him a hassle getting a week or two off despite the fact that he covers for everyone else. When he does take over for someone they usually leave him with a mess. I mean he's a good guy and he gets taken advantage of but he doesn't have a GED so he is left with the crappy jobs no one else wants. They are making it impossible for him to get his GED because they won't let him have the days off to get it. They know if he does get it he'll leave and he is one of their best workers. He likes his job on most days but they don't always treat him the best. I hope eventually he'll get his GED and find something better. I just know it's infuriating when we're trying to enjoy a day off and they'll interrupt us and want him to come in. I put up with a lot from his work, including them calling me to get a hold of him, which ticked me off. My boyfriend took my number off their books so they couldn't call it anymore. I don't enjoy being called at 5 AM on a Saturday because my boyfriend is sleeping soundly and they couldn't get a hold of him on his day off, a day off he had requested and they gave to him but he still ended up getting called in. I like the people he works for, for the most part, but I hate how they sometimes take advantage of him.
@CRK109 (14410)
Sounds like the money is good for right now until he can get that GED. And yes, I'm sure they're afraid of losing him. but I do hope he finds a way to take the time and go for it!
@sissy15 (5704)
It's a pain considering he can't get the time off to get his GED. He is just overworked. He comes home some days so sore he can barely walk, they don't realize what they are doing to him.
@sissy15 tell him not to answer the phone. Schedule the tests and if they are 2 days in a row, have him call in sick. Trust me if he is so important to them they will not fire him. If they do fire him he will qualify for unemployment. There are employers who will see his work record and hire him in a snap.
@sissy15 (5704)
@ElusiveButterfly He has to have a doctor's excuse to call in sick. He can't find anything right away if he gets fired because there aren't many places hiring around here and we don't have a car. He would only make minimum wage at any other job he would find and he is currently making above minimum. Unless he is 100 percent certain he'd pass the test and he wouldn't find out right away that could be risky. Unemployment wouldn't give him as much as he's currently making and it would financially hurt us.
It's the pits to be responsible. Be thankful he is this way. Some guys would tell them no and at some point lose the job. Hope he can get his GED too.
@sissy15 (5704)
I am thankful he's a hard worker but sometimes it gets irritating when we are out as a family and he just gets called in. They can't keep anyone at his work and he often has to go in on short notice.
@sissy15 ......This could mean a good reference for another better paying job.
@sissy15 (5704)
@celticeagle Maybe, but he'd have to get his GED first and they won't let him.
I am sorry that your husband is not given more time off that must be annoying
@sissy15 (5704)
it's really annoying when they call my boyfriend in, we'll be in the middle of something and he is like "Well, I have been called into work." I mean they can't force him in on his day off but they make him feel guilty and that ticks me off. The one time I was livid was when they called ME to get to him. I have been thanked for letting him go, but ultimately that's not my decision. I like the people there but at the same time, I hate that I have to deal with the stuff I have to deal with.
@sissy15 I am so sorry I think that is the 2nd time I have mistakenly said husband lol
@sissy15 (5704)
@chrissbergstrom No big deal lol. I've been with him 8 years, you aren't the first. My boyfriend's mom even tells people we are married and she knows we aren't, she says it's just easier. Ha, maybe one day we'll get married but for now, he's just the boyfriend.
I'm not sure what a GED is. It's a shame they continue to take advantage of your boyfriend's good nature.
@sissy15 (5704)
A GED is the equivalent of a diploma. People who don't graduate can go back and get their GED which is in place of their diploma. Basically, it's for those who don't graduate high school that need to get something in place of their diploma. It's near impossible to get a good job without a diploma anymore and my boyfriend really needs to get his GED in order to find a decent job. It stands for General Education Development I think, it basically states that you have the same knowledge as someone who graduated from high school. In order to get it, they have to take a test and pass it. People are tested in I think 4 different areas don't quote me. I know math, reading, history, and maybe science. I'm not sure if there is a writing portion or not. I honestly am not sure. It is, I often get irritated but there's really not much I can do.
@sissy15 Thanks for that information. It's interesting to know this stuff as it's a bit different to here I think.
@sissy15 (5704)
@JudyEv Yeah, I guess I never realized how different things were in other countries. Like we always refer to a GED as GED and not by its longer name, but I really don't know how things work in other countries. Sometimes you don't realize exactly how different some things are in other countries.
Sounds like they are taking advantage of his good work ethic. Maybe he should sit down with his boss and tell him how it is. If they don't cut him some slack he could easily burn out. Who would they call then?
@sissy15 (5704)
Honestly, he has talked to them but they claim they can't spare him right now because he's their best worker and they are understaffed. I often say he'll burn out but I don't think they currently care, maybe they think they'll have more workers by the time that happens.
@sissy15 If he is so important then maybe they should give him a substantial raise in pay. He should ask them and also get one day a week that they designate as "his" day off and that it be known that they cannot call him in no matter what. Everyone needs a day off.
@sissy15 (5704)
@ElusiveButterfly He already is the highest paid employee there other than the managers, they can't pay him anymore or he'd make more than the managers since they are salary paid and my boyfriend is paid hourly. They also give him one day a week off but they always call him on it so it does no good, they don't care that it's designated as his day off and even if he talked to them about it, they would say they couldn't do it because too much comes up. They are understaffed. He can't even take a test on that one day because the tests are two days and he is often called in.
I hope he gets to spend more family time. Working all the time would be frustrating
@sissy15 (5704)
It's not bad unless we have things planned and that happens a lot. We'll be in the middle of something and he gets called in.
Some places expect you to come in every time they need you.. I hope it all works out for you and him so you can spend some time together.
@sissy15 (5704)
Thanks, we do often get some time together I just hate that we never know when it's going to be interrupted.