My Biggest Fear, what's yours?

@ramapo17 (18585)
Melbourne, Florida
Ever since a child and started going to the dentist, I have been totally afraid of going there. When I was growing up they did not give anesthetic and I felt every little thing the dentist did and the drill felt like it could dig a hole in the streets. Of course being a child things seemed so much bigger and scarier than they really were. To this day I still have the fear of going to the dentist but I do it because I have to. Today is going to be one of those days as I broke a tooth and being we are going away next week I knew I could not put this off any longer. My heart is racing but I know this has to be done. I'm a big girl now.
@responsiveme (14359)
I was scared too but my dentist is a fum person and he is very skilled so fears gone out. Hope your trip turned out ok.
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
I did survive and it wasn't bad at all.
So glad you are a big girl now and will go to that dentist! My greatest fear is heights.
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
Yeah, I guess I grew up. I still don't like going there but the new dentist I found in Florida is so great and she makes me feel at ease.
I know many people of our generation are scared stiff of dentists. It isn't as bad now but I don't think it is anyone's favourite place.
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
I totally agree with you. It is like going to a doctor. We have to because we have to.
@Platespinner (18067)
I'm afraid of the dentist not so much because of the drill (though I don't exactly like it), but because of the damage that each visit does to my bank account. My mouth is our family's money pit.
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
I know exactly what you mean. It was crazy today. I do have dental insurance but that does not cover everything.
@bunnybon7 (32495)
• Holiday, Florida
seems everyone is afraid of them. i think because they don't seem to work in a hospital at all which is scary enough. but most of us have had bad experiences with some. when i was a child they put me to sleep once but i really wasn't asleep and could feel the whole thing but could not tell them i felt it. been afraid ever since
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
All it takes is one bad experience and that can turn us totally against them. Unfortunately, there is not other way except to get them all pulled and get dentures.
I have never been afraid of the dentist...as a matter of fact when I needed filling I begged for no Novocaine. I get my bones/gums scrapped every three months and it's uncomfortable but nothing I need Novocaine for. Years ago I had a sinus operation they gave me 20 shots of Novocaine under my upper lip (inside( and proceeded to go all the way up to my sinus cavity in my forehead to remove a polyp. That's why I don't want any more of it
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
Ewe. that sounds awfully painful.
Sharks and being stranded in the ocean is what I am afraid of. The thought of being surrounded by water and sharks swimming around near me makes me squirm and it is crazy because the drowning part doesn't scare me at all.
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
Are you near the ocean?
@ramapo17 Nope live three hours away and I would like to keep it that way.
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
@CaseyRoss9966 Being that far away from you why would you be afraid? They cannot come after you.
When I was a kid, I am afraid of my grandpa. He was a dentist. He scared me while holding the metal syringe.The syringe is an old-type whereby the anesthesia ampule will be set into the metal syringe.
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
Wow, a dentist for a grandpa. That is cool as he could tell you not to be afraid.
@ramapo17 He always gives some candies and ice cream after extracting my milk tooth.lol
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
@Shavkat Usually dentists tell us not to eat sweets. I never heard of a milk tooth.
@BabyRai1 (908)
• Nairobi, Kenya
My greatest fear upto now is syringes!!!whether its a prick or a shot am to be given;I always ask for time out. There was a time i was terribly sick and the nurse had to call two other nurses for me to be injected.I did give them a hard time
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
I don't have any fears of needles. When I started working on cruise ships as a hair dresser I actually had to get lots of shots for all the different countries I was going into. I had so many that I had to have my mom help me dress and carry my suitcases as my arms were so sore from all the shots. Now I can take one any time without a worry.
@BabyRai1 (908)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@ramapo17 lucky you
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
@BabyRai1 What do you get the shots for? My kids use to get allergy shots all the time. Luckily they advanced to taking medication instead. Allergies run in our family.
Even though I have the greatest dentist in the world I still dread when I have to go. Hope it's an easy fix for you and that you're in and out in no time.
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
I did survive and it wasn't as bad as I had thought.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I have never really had a fear of the dentist. PRobably because when I was pretty young, my dentist told me to bite down when it hurt, and i bit him and broke the skin.
@ramapo17 (18585)
• Melbourne, Florida
Wow, did you continue going back to him