Cinco De Mayo! The 5th of May!

@SonjaRae (4802)
I have found it quite fascinating for years the "Hoopla" around Cinco de Mayo Festivities; just another reason to party and drink? What is it anyway? What's the hype? Many people have assumed that it is Mexico's Independence Day, which is an incorrect assumption. Independence Day is actually on September 16th. Cinco de Mayo is in fact a "Celebration of the Mexican victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862". Enjoy some TACOS on me!
I don't celebrate. Never understood the hoopla either.
@moffittjc (45229)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's just an excuse for people to drink and get wasted. Gives everyone an excuse to drink tequila! haha
@moffittjc yeah basically. Lol. I hate the disrespect of wearing the fake mustaches and Sombreros though.
@moffittjc (45229)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Courtlynn I only saw one person the entire night wearing a fake mustache, but I did see lots of people wearing sombreros!
I do so love fish tacos. Hungry for them. With cabbage and some thousand island sauce. Yum! Glad the Mexicans have this date to celebrate.
@SonjaRae (4802)
@celticeagle I have never acquired a taste for fish tacos. I guess the fact that I was taught how to cook by sister-in-laws, and mother-in-law, I learned more of the home cooked, poor man meals.
@SonjaRae .....I think they are delicious. Tilapia, cabbage, corn tortilla, and some thousand island sauce. Yum!
@celticeagle leave off a thousand island and use Pico De Gallo and a little bit of Mexican Crema and I'll take the tilapia tacos!
I will celebrate anything that means there will be tacos!
@SonjaRae (4802)
I too LOVE TACOS!
@SonjaRae TACOS!! TACOS!!!
@SonjaRae me too! I had three today
@moffittjc (45229)
• Gainesville, Florida
I celebrated Cinco de Mayo (I call it Cinco de Drinko) in Tampa, Florida, at a speakeasy called Ciro's. But it wasn't the get-drunk-and-crazy type celebration, it was a nice dinner and a few drinks with friends. And then we went out afterward to party, and of all places ended up at an Irish pub! So much for celebrating Mexico! haha
@SonjaRae (4802)
Classic!!! An Irish Pub!
@Hate2Iron (8022)
Unfortunately since we moved away from the US... we can't seem to find a Mexican restaurant... that spread above looks soooo good!!
Where do you live?
That looks so good. I will be right over to enjoy some tacos with you.
@MarymargII (10565)
• Toronto, Ontario
Well now I see that it is indeed an historical victory to celebrate every year! Thanks for the explanation!
@SonjaRae (4802)
My pleasure! Thank you for visiting and commenting!
@MarymargII (10565)
• Toronto, Ontario
@SonjaRae Now I feel like tacos---ha!
@SonjaRae (4802)
@MarymargII Me too!
@mandala100 (50449)
The food in the picture looks so yummy...it makes me hungry.