Popularity of Studio 54

Riga, Latvia
When the nightclub Studio 54 opened up on April 26, 1977 I had finished high school and I was 20 years old and going to university. When I think about the fact that I was so young then I realize how quickly the years have really flown. I found that I never had too much money and so the dream of trying to get into Studio 54 where all the stars and famous folk rubbed shoulders was the impossible dream for me then. Before I tell you more about this nightclub in Manhattan in New York City let me tell you briefly about another club which catered to those who could afford the membership. That was The Playboy Club and it was the place to be in the 1960s. I just looked online and saw that supposedly this club is returning to NYC. Anyway at that time my dad was editor for Latvian newspaper Laiks or Time and his boss who owned the paper was a self-made millionaire. He had membership at The Playboy Club and I remember many years later mom telling me about the time he and his wife took my mom and dad there. Mom said she saw Jackie Kennedy and remarked how lovely she looked. Then she inquired about who the ugly, short gentleman with her was. Turned out that he was none other than Aristotle Onassis. So mom and dad got to see some of the most famous people of that time. Anyway back to my story. Once Studio 54 opened there were always long lines of people waiting to get in and photographers outside snapping photos of all of the celebrities who just got to enter the nightclub no questions asked. Their names and faces spoke for themselves. It was the place where if you were lucky enough to get in you could find yourself doing disco on the dance floor next to your favorite pop singer or actor or actress. Studio 54 was the idea of two college roommates Steve Rubell and Ian Schrager. At first they tried their hand at running a place in the borough of Queens and then they met Carmen D’Alessio who was a public-relations entrepreneur in the fashion industry who knew such famous folk as Liza Minnelli and Truman Capote. It was through her efforts that made the grand opening of Studio 54 such a smash hit and made the famous come back time after time. During its day the nightclub saw things like Bianca Jagger come riding in on a white horse for her 30th birthday party. At the club the music was strictly DJ and the DJs spun all of the greatest disco hits of that time. At any time you could bump into the singers of the hits as well like Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor and Grace Jones. The golden era of the club lasted until it closed with a closing-night party on February 4, 1980 but the memories live on. You can still read all about it online. How many of you have heard about Studio 54? Has anybody been there?
On this day in History, Studio 54 opens on Apr 26, 1977. Learn more about what happened today on History.
@magnumopus (1674)
Another good piece on music background and history. Thanks.
• Riga, Latvia
You welcome. As you can tell I am really into music and have a music blog too @magnumopus