It does not take a lot to make me happy

@shebish (816)
Egypt
Having lived in Egypt now for many years I have had to accept that there is a lot of things especially food items that I cannot get here, now most of the time that is not a problem but every now a then I get a craving that I cannot shake, my latest craving has been for British type sausages , I have not been able to get the thought of sausages sizzling on a BBQ out of my mind, now there are sausages here,but they are really not nice,the texture is horrid, anyway I was looking at sausage machines but they are so expensive for a possibly one-off indulgence, that I decided to make like an Egyptian rural housewife ,I cut a plastic bottle in half and placed my natural (yuk) cleaned casings over the pouring end of the bottle, I then put my sausage mix in and forced the mix through the top into the casing, I wont pretend they were the best sausages in the world and they were hard work , but my oh my the sense of achievement at my DIY sausage machine was immeasurable. Have any of you tried out any DIY gadgets and if so were they successful ?
• Lakewood, Colorado
Where did you come from to live in Egypt sheblis? I am curious. Yes the British sausages are very nice and so are the Irish sausages, unique. I miss them a lot. I could buy them online but the price is crazy. I made my own Kefir, but did not have to have gadgets to do so.
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
I am from Cornwall in the UK . Yum I prefer Kefir to yogurt.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@shebish Thanks for telling me Sheblish. Cornwall is stuck in my memory from my younger days. The cornish pasties of course you can't get anywhere here and the ice cream yum!! I can make them, but not the same. I spent a happy summer in Newquay years ago with my best friend at the time. Yes Kefir is delicious.
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
Many happy hours spent at Newquay surfing @TiarasOceanView and yes the ice cream is gorgeous,I do occasionally make pasties but as you said they are not the same,I think they need the Cornish air and ingredients.
We have made various gadgets from time to time but none that come to mind readily. Congratulations on creating your own sausage machine.
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
It is amazing what you can do if you want something enough.
@shebish I know when my niece goes back after a visit she takes half a suitcase full of Vegemite and Weet-bix.
Wow, that's really inventive. The only thing I've done that even comes slightly close to a DIY is creating shade for plants that don't do well in this arid climate here in this US desert. Otherwise I am DIY dumb.
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
Being in the desert is difficult for gardeners I have been struggling with getting the right shade for my tomato plants it is hard to get the balance right.
Yes, exactly @shebish I've lived here 20 years and finally have some semi mature trees but that's still not enough shade to grow what I would like.
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
Between the sun and the cats it is a loosing battle here @rebelann
@LeaPea2417 (12806)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have never tried those gadgets.
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
I do like to try to find a way to adapt and make do, not all my attempts are successful though .
That was ingenious! NO, never tried a DIY gadget myself.
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
It was my first time as well, my husband did suggest I make some more for his family ,my first thought was I am going to need a bigger bottle
@magnumopus (1690)
Were you living before in some other places before you live in Egypt?
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
Yes I am English I love Egypt but it is a world apart from where I grew up .
@responsiveme (12683)
for your enterprise...Neccisity they say is the mother of invention. You just need to patent it there. Having lived in small places I too did many cooking from sctratch
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
I enjoy cooking here as it is such a challenge, in the UK everything was almost too easy.
@peachpurple (4506)
nope I had not tried my own DIY gadgets at home. I once had a mortar and pestle to pound spices but my mother in law took it away after she moved out. So, now I use the bottom glass bottle to pound spices in a ceramic bowl.
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
There is something very satisfying about pounding spices,I love all the aromas it produces.
Well done! When I visited Egypt, which I loved, I had sausages for breakfast in some of the hotels.
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
Sounds like the Hotels are the place to go, There are some brands in the shops but I have yet to find any that have the right texture for me. Glad you enjoyed Egypt.
@prashu228 (18827)
No never tried , I am not so talented
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
Well it certainly worked but might be a good while before I have another go at making them.
• Marion, Kansas
Nothing comes to mind that I have modified in that way, but I have seasoned up ground meats to be "sausage".Not real often, but I have done it.
@shebish (816)
• Egypt
I used to make my own sausages for my kids when they were young, but back in the UK I had all the equipment to make life easy. Is that a caravan in your profile picture ?
I never tried those gadgets as well. I'm actually trying more into eating salad vegetables.
@Shiva49 (8807)
Nothing comes to mind readily that is worth sharing. Yes, necessity is the mother of invention! siva