Describing Grief in One Word ...

Gloria Faye Brown Bates
@GrannyGee (1768)
Louisburg, North Carolina
Grief ... pain is and ... always has been a part of me just as breathing. Since being a tiny girl ... I've felt pain never knowing, understanding what it meant. I wasn't old enough to be able to say in words what was wrong. It took years later for me to understand 'why' the pain. Never mind that ... my point is ... I know pain, grief very well. I've always lost someone I loved with my heart in ways that were awful for a child to experience. I grew up thinking life was like that for everyone. No, it wasn't. I am always thinking how to put things I think about into words. I have thought many times of how I would describe grief. I think now ... I can describe it one word. The one word I would use to describe grief is ... love. Think about it ... you wouldn't feel grief, pain ... if you didn't feel love of some kind. You had to have cared deeply ... to be able to grieve someone's death. I grieve for all my family ... they all have gone now. There are a few relatives left ... I don't know them ... they are strangers. There are a couple whom I do like a lot ... we don't get into each other's lives. When I say 'family is gone' ... over 20 members of my family have died in the past few years including my only child. Yes, I think I'm an expert on how grief feels. I've never grieved over anyone I 'hated' ... I've always grieved deeply from loving. So, if I were to describe 'grief' with one word ... I would say 'love. Note by this Author: I write about something I know well ... grief, pain. I never wallow in the ocean of grief, pain ... I fight to go forward each time never looking back any more than I have to ... I look back to write about it to help others to feel, understand. I put my heart into writing exactly what it feels like ... writing is like that ... you feel your words as you write them ... if not ... how can others understand what you write about? So ... when you read, feel my words, grief ... don't feel sorry for me. I am as strong as the biggest Redwood tree ... I've weathered many storms. I stand straight with my scars from the lightening ... thunder ... winds of life ... if I bend I push myself back up. Just feel ... care for others through my words. I hope they help you to understand when someone you care for ... suffers through grief, pain. Written by Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee. Photo owned by Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee. Photo is of me.
@prashu228 (25814)
So sorry. You have to write and let the pain lessen with in you
@GrannyGee (1768)
• Louisburg, North Carolina
Thank you ... it makes all better for me
@sugartoes (39283)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I always try to help the best way I can that's suffering in one way or another but sometimes some people just rather enjoy the pain & not except the help but I do hope that you will get out of your pain & suffering so you CAN enjoy life more.
@GrannyGee (1768)
• Louisburg, North Carolina
When I write about pain, grief ... it's writing exactly how it feels. I write at the end of my stories 'why' I write about such ... it's what I know best. If one can't write about things they know best ... then their stories are flat. This is usually what I write at the end of my stories so people know I'm not wallowing in my pain, grief: 'I put my heart into writing exactly what it feels like ... writing is like that ... you feel your words as you write them ... if not ... how can others understand what you write about? So ... when you read, feel my words, grief ... don't feel sorry for me. I am as strong as the biggest Redwood tree ... I've weathered many storms. I stand straight with my scars from the lightening ... thunder ... winds of life ... if I bend I push myself back up. Just feel ... care for others through my words. I hope they help you to understand when someone you care for ... suffers through grief, pain.' I know you know this, as you've known me for a long time ... sometimes people don't read to the end and they write to me telling me I should do this or that ... that's not what I write for. If I didn't write my grief, pain ... I wouldn't be able to live with it ... it's too big to keep inside me. People who read what I write ... hopefully are interested in my words. They don't have to say anything to me ... read, leave quietly like in the library. I don't write for attention ... I write exactly what it feels like. I don't sugar-coat. This is like what I want to read when someone writes about true life. It's so nice to hear from you!