Have You Ever Tried to Save a Life?

@nanette64 (13015)
Fairfield, Texas
About 10 years ago I belonged to a writing site dedicated to poets and one of the ladies there was named Obscurity. She chose that name because she believed that no one cared about her and that she was truly invisible. Her writing was becoming more depressive so I contacted her through messaging (like we can do here) so I could 'talk' to her. She was talking about suicide and was very serious about doing so. After several days of communication, she finally decided to do it. She told me when and how. I contacted the Admin of the site and told them to get her information to the local police (since she was in another country). In the meantime, I kept talking to her telling her that I cared for her and that this was not the answer. I told her she was not alone and that together we could figure it all out. While we were messaging, she said she had taken a whole bottle of pills. I contacted the Admin again and told him what she had done. By the time the police arrived, she was already dead. I was devastated that I could not help her. I wrote the following poem in her honor. There once was a poet; "Obscurity" was her name. She didn't want medals, money or fame. She wanted what we all want; that elusive dream. She desired to be loved; you know what I mean. Someone to hold her and let it be known. That someone cared and was theirs alone. But alas that was not to be; for our friend, the poet; "Obscurity".
Both nice and sad at the same time. At least you tried your best.
@nanette64 (13015)
• Fairfield, Texas
Such a sad waste of a life @Kandae11 . It's hard to realize that someone can feel so alone. It made it harder to get her help since she was in another country.
@Essjayd (1168)
That's a really nice tribute to her. You tried your best to save her there's nothing more you could have done. At least she knew someone did actually care about her from your messages.
@nanette64 (13015)
• Fairfield, Texas
Thank you @Essjayd . I wish I could have done more but with her being so far away, it was impossible.
@Essjayd (1168)
@nanette64 Take comfort in the fact that you actually tried to help. Many would have flicked past her posts and done nothing. In another time and place your messages could have been the one action that saved her.
@nanette64 (13015)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Essjayd I even tried talking her into giving me her phone number. She wouldn't but I think that's because she knew I would have talked her out of it.
Yeah, a dog.
@nanette64 (13015)
• Fairfield, Texas
I do have to agree with that one @TheInvisibleMan . Since I ran an animal shelter, I rescued and saved 106 dogs and 20 cats plus.
@nanette64 Wow! Really?! That's awesome!
@nanette64 (13015)
• Fairfield, Texas
@TheInvisibleMan I'm a critter-lover for sure.
@Nawsheen (22857)
• Mauritius
We once saved a stray cat by adopting it. And as for you, you did a great job
@nanette64 (13015)
• Fairfield, Texas
I've saved so many animals @Nawsheen , you'd think I could have saved a human life.
@Nawsheen (22857)
• Mauritius
@nanette64 you sure did something great by trying to support her. Unfortunately we do not have control over everything
@ramapo17 (18540)
• Melbourne, Florida
@Nawsheen You are absolutely right. It does make us wonder though how some things can happen the way they do.
@PatZAnthony (11726)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is so very sad when we can't help someone really needing help. This person sounds familiar to me. Would any of us know her from another site @nanette64
@nanette64 (13015)
• Fairfield, Texas
I'm not sure @PatZAnthony since this was specifically a poetry site.
At least you tried to save a life. Some people would not even do that.
@nanette64 (13015)
• Fairfield, Texas
It is sad @jstory07 that there's not much compassion left in the world.
@ramapo17 (18540)
• Melbourne, Florida
That is a nice poem but so sad the reason behind it.
@nanette64 (13015)
• Fairfield, Texas
I just wish I could have done more to help her @ramapo17 .
You don't need to feel guilty over this because you were there and did your part in trying to stop her. Unfortunately, she made her decision and there was really nothing you can do it was her choice.
@hostessman (6922)
• Tucson, Arizona
your poem is great, to bad you couldn't have saved her but she may not have wanted to be saved..... when do you post i can never find any of them...
@scheng1 (24950)
Personally I think such people are selfish. They want attention and love, and yet they are not willing to give it to others. If they only offer their time and resources to help those in orphanages, they will find the love that they yearn for.
Very sad to read this on Mother's Day, I hope she is at peace now so sorry to hear this.
What an awful tale, Nanette, but at least you tried and she would have known that someone DID care.
@spaceseed (2925)
Wow you are such a good person.