Pretty Darn Inventive, If You Ask Me

While walking in our backyard, I spotted some healthy patches of green moss. We did not have a lot of things to play with when we were kids, and we really did have to use our imaginations to keep ourselves entertained and engaged, and out of our mother's hair. We used the green moss we collected to carpet the forts we made in the field behind our house and the bottoms of a shoe boxes that would later serve as doll houses. We made the bottom of our red wagons nice and comfy with that moss carpeting. Mom was not happy that we carpeted every step leading to the back porch with green moss, however. Silly lady, those steps looked great with moss carpeting. It took a lot of work to get those pieces of moss to fit together so that the green-moss "carpeting" was practically seamless. If one got tired of the mossy-green color of carpet, no problem. In less than week's time, one would have lovely golden-brown carpeting.
It's nice but slippery on steps. We have wooden steps going down to the brook and they are naturally covered with moss. It's better to be careful.
@cacay1 (33199)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@LadyDuck, really nice sight in your home all green, cool.
@cacay1 This photo is not my home, the photo is by Deborah.
Yes, Mom made us remove the moss from the steps. A hard work had to be undone.
Fairies live in the moss, we were never allowed to step on it.
Oh dear. We killed a heck of a lot of fairies!!!
@Corbin5 My Irish Mother..lolShe made everything sacred.
@cacay1 (33199)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TiarasOceanView hehehe not fairies but elves,lols.
I 'created' a house full of rooms in a small area that will filled with what we know as marshmallow plants. These grow quite tall. I pulled out most of the plants just leaving 'walls' of plants. I was very pleased with myself.
@cacay1 (33199)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@JudyEv That is nice, you can plant many things because of your climate and its moisture, in Ph, no way all hot.
@cacay1 I find excessive heat very draining.
@cacay1 (33199)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@JudyEv oh sorry to that my friend.
@alberello75 (19509)
• Genova, Italy
I see. They were beautiful in those times, when we had just enough to enjoy ourselves. Now the times have changed definitely!
Yes, we never felt deprived and just played with what we had.
@alberello75 (19509)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 Excuse me a question. Remember, perhaps, when you were a girl, if you had wooden objects, with which did you have fun?
@cacay1 (33199)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Corbin5 so true unlike this time.
Sounds very inventive to me. I remember playing with moss as kids too.
@cacay1 (33199)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TRBRocks420, Who were your playmates then?
Yes, and it did not cost us a thing!!!
@cacay1 Bro, sis and, cousins of course.
@acelawrites (12558)
It's a healthy moss! Children can enjoy playing with it. It is a nice ground cover.
@cacay1 (33199)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@acelawrites nice to lay on the ground with mosses.
We sure had a lot of fun with that moss. It was free too!
Sounds like industrious fun!
It sure kept us busy and out of Mom's hair too!
That sounds like a very good idea!
So much fun we had and that moss did not cost a thing.
@shebish (788)
• Egypt
Poor mum all that moss We used to pull some square hay bales out in the barn and build a den with it,we spent hours playing inside.
That hay-bale den had to make such a nice haven for you!! Seems like kids love making little spots of their own with whatever they can find.
@shebish (788)
• Egypt
In our case it was probably to hide whatever mischief we was up to @Corbin5
@Morleyhunt (21474)
I don't remember playing with moss, but we were very creative with the clay found in our ditch. My mother wasn't nearly as appreciative of our efforts as we had hope. She didn't care for our dirty hands or clothes either.
That clay in the ditch had to be such fun to play with, but I can see how your mom was not happy with clay-covered kids.
@Morleyhunt (21474)
@Corbin5 having been clay covered yesterday I can appreciate her dismay.
Life was so much easier when I was a kid. My Mom was not happy with lots of things I got into!
Oh yes, we never told Mom we put pennies on the railroad tracks to be flattened by trains. Best to protect Mom. Mom did not like it when we were playing Wagon Train and started a small campfire. Never saw a Mom so scared and angry.
@Corbin5 I grew up in the city and there was an abandoned house a block away so my friend and I broke in and cleaned it up like it was our playhouse - I can't repeat what happened when my parents found out - I was in grammar school at the time....I' lucky no one was in that house!
@AbbyGreenhill Oh, I bet your parents were angry as could be when they found out. Heck, we were all trying to create our own activities. A shame we all got in so much trouble doing so.
• Uzbekistan
I grew up in post-war GDR (German Democratic Republic). When I think of playing, I think of playing outside with other children. In the evenings, mothers would shout out of their windows for their children to come home. Now, I see no children playing outside.
I know. My mom used to call us into the house too. I suppose there may be more dangers out there for kids unsupervised these days.
• Uzbekistan
@Corbin5 There wasn't a single private car then in our quarter! Furthermore, our street was a cul-de-sac. It was really safe.
@MALUSE You did live in a safe spot. The only time I was frightened was when Richard Speck murdered eight student nurses from South Chicago Community Hospital on July 14, 1966. I was babysitting 3 children, and Speck was on the loose, and the news kept broadcasting that fact on TV. Luckily, my house was just across the way from the house in which I was babysitting. Even though we lived in a suburb of Chicago, I thought he could definitely make his way to mine. I called Mom and Dad, and Dad came over to wait until the children's' parents came home. Speck did not make it out of Chicago, but I sure thought he might.
@moffittjc (46399)
• Gainesville, Florida
My dad used to tell my brother and I that there was Spanish treasure buried all over Florida from the days of pirates, and he would hand us both shovels and tell us to go out digging for treasure. My brother and I (and many of the other neighborhood kids) would spend hours and hours and days and days digging (we lived on the outer edges of town, so there were lots of places to dig). We never found any treasure, but one time my brother and dug up a tractor engine! My dad to a keen interest in that. And of course, it just encouraged us to dig more! haha
Oh, what fun you had. Mighty find idea Dad had to keep you guys busy!!! That tractor-engine find definitely would have you digging for more. We were always trying to dig a hole to China. Wondered from where that "digging a hole to China" thing came: In 1854 Henry David Thoreau wrote in Walden, “As for your high towers and monuments, there was a crazy fellow in town who undertook to dig through to China, and he got so far that, as he said, he heard the Chinese pots and kettles rattle; but I think that I shall not go out of my way to admire the hole which he made.” I think I need to keep digging a hole to China!
@moffittjc (46399)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 I will admit, there were many days where my brother and I tried to dig a hole to China too! But living in Florida, we'd often hit water after digging about 4-5 feet down!
@blitzfrick (2912)
So inventive! but I don't blame your mom for moss on the steps. That's just going over the line! I had a bright idea of eliminating all mowing by planting moss, which when it's mature makes a beautiful carpet. But now, I've abandoned that idea because the tiny bits of moss I planted have had a population explosion and I find moss in my veggie beds, my flower beds, and everywhere in between. Eek!
Yikes!! A great idea turned into moss invading other areas! I would think a moss take-over would be difficult to stop.
@Corbin5 You're right, there's no stopping it.
@thelme55 (15258)
That looked good anyway. As kids, we were so inventive.
I know. We really had to use our imaginations.
@thelme55 (15258)
@Corbin5 yes, we do.
@nanette64 (18109)
• Fairfield, Texas
What I wouldn't give to have green moss versus some of the 5' tall stuff that I've got @Corbin5 . Mexia grass. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.
Oh dear. Well, I wish there were a way you could get rid of it, but what a giant task that would be.
@nanette64 (18109)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 OMG, yeah, no kidding. Even with my rabbit population (who love Mexia grass); they can't keep up.
Useful ways to use moss. I like the steps idea.
@cacay1 (33199)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@just4him, true but no moss in our surrounding dunno where to find them seems anon in our place.
Mom was not happy about the moss-covered steps, and we had to take it all off. Oh well, fun piecing it together.
That's kool. It sounds like you had a blast.
We did. Amazing all the places moss can be used to add a touch of green!
I've seen moss in some of the nurseries around here @Corbin5 it's imported from other states but it doesn't grow here because it's too arid and hot.
I wish I would have thought of that, I could have carpeted my treehouse.
@JolietJake Yes, a carpeted tree house! Brilliant!
Don't think we have a lot of that around here.
We have plenty here. I should send you some!!!