My online friend died

@sissy15 (5762)
Found out my online friend died today. I saw his family posting stuff. I knew it was going to happen soon and had kind of been on the lookout for it but that doesn't make it any less sad. I didn't know him well all I knew was that he was never one to make a big deal over being sick. He'd randomly messaging me and mention he just got out of the hospital but never made it sound like a big deal. I do know he did get to go home for his final day or two and I guess he had been wanting to be at home so at least he got that. I know he was ready and had made peace with death. He saw all of his family one last time and he had an end of life ceremony. I'm sad he's gone and I'm sad for his family but at least he's no longer in pain and he finally gets to be at peace after a lifetime of fighting to survive. I was never close to him but it still hurts knowing he's no longer out there somewhere and knowing that I'll no longer get a surprise message from a friend. I'll miss the talks we had but I know at least he's no longer in pain and he no longer has to fight for every breath.
@minx267 (14645)
• Hartford, Connecticut
I had one of my online friends die a few months ago also.. I used to communicate with her back on MySpace.. well before Facebook. then we joined another site together and go to talking more there... we grew apart a bit after the move to facebook as she really enjoyed socializing and made hundreds of friends and was very busy. Then I saw her sister post that she had past and a piece of my heart broke knowing she was no longer around and that I wouldn't see her posts anymore.
@sissy15 (5762)
Yeah, it's always sad when you lose someone. This is my second or third online friend I've lost. It's not easy. You get to know them and it's always sad knowing you won't hear from them anymore. It's my second online friend I've lost in the past 2 months, well the one I actually met and she was a family friend, my mom got to know her first and eventually, she came out and met my mom and all of us. We all loved her like family.
@minx267 (14645)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@sissy15 that is sad. I have had a few pass away over the years. It is really hard. I sometimes still go to their pages.. I don't Know I guess I am expecting to see something new they posted..
@sissy15 (5762)
@minx267 It really isn't. We lost my 20 year old step-nephew last year. It's even more difficult when they are so young.
Its always hard losing someone, even if we have not been in contact with them in awhile it still hurts.
@sissy15 (5762)
Very true, it's sad seeing all of the pictures people are posting him on FB. At least I know he's no longer suffering.
@sissy15 (5762)
@chrissbergstrom Yeah, at that point I think they're ready to go.
@sissy15 yes agreed
That is sad. With many illnesses people have a bad bout and then they seem like they are getting better for awhile and the next thing you know they are gone. Some people just touch us I think for whatever reason. We have lost a couple of members on here. I had gotten to know one of them and it was sure sad and weird to lose her. We have some very great folks on here. I think you may be learning that.
@sissy15 (5762)
I have learned that. I think it's normal to feel loss over someone you knew even if you weren't close to them. I mean part of you still cared about them.
@sissy15 ......I don't believe you have to be face to face with someone all of the time to be friends with someone.
@sissy15 (5762)
@celticeagle I completely agree. I have had several really good online friends.
I am sorry to hear this story. May he rest in peace.
@sissy15 (5762)
Thank you.
@Nawsheen (22912)
• Mauritius
I'm.so sorry to hear about this. May he rest in peace
@sissy15 (5762)
Thank you
Losing someone is always very sad even when they are so sick and have little quality of life. I'm sorry you have lost a friend.
@sissy15 (5762)
Thanks, I wasn't very close to him but it's still sad knowing he isn't out there anymore.
@sjvg1976 (18388)
Sorry to hear this. Yes it hurts when we know that one of acquaintance die. But that's good that at least he doesn't have to suffer a pain now.
@sissy15 (5762)
Very true, I am glad he is no longer in pain.
@carexing25 (1818)
sorry to hear the sad news.. prayers for his soul ..and hope you're okay..
@sissy15 (5762)
Thank you.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
Sometimes online friends are a great comfort to those who are dying because they don't fuss over them the way their real-world friends do. You allow them to still be their old pre-sick selves.
@sissy15 (5762)
Maybe, but I knew he had serious health problems. I just didn't realize how serious it had gotten. He has been sick since he was 5. He was diagnosed with leukemia as a kid and the chemo ruined his heart and he was never able to qualify for a transplant because he was never healthy enough for it, so he always knew he was going to die. He had to live with the reality that he was going to die young and I guess he accepted it.