Do Not Hang Your Little Brother!!!

My grandfather was born in 1892 in the backwoods of Charleston, Illinois. My grandfather had six brothers and two sisters. All the children were just a little over a year apart in age. My grandfather's brothers read a lot of the dime novels of the American Old West. The boys did lots of reading about Indians, lawmen, and cowboys, thanks to those dime novels. Literature is often a source of inspiration, and my grandfather's brothers were inspired to try hanging someone from a noose. The brothers did fashion a mighty fine noose. Due to the fact that my grandfather was the youngest member of the family, and the lightest in weight, he was the one chosen to be hanged from a rope with a noose that was tied to a tree limb. Of course, this was done just for fun. The boys were quite fond of their little brother. The brothers did get my grandfather hanged properly, but try as they might, they could not get him down. Luckily, my great-grandfather was summoned by the panicked brothers, and great-grandfather was able to free his youngest son from the noose. I bet the boy's who did the hanging were punished severely by my great-grandfather, and my great-grandmother too. A good whipping with a switch comes to mind. Lesson learned. Never, ever try and hang your little brother!!!
well do not worry.I do not have a little brother.Nice story there.
Oh good. Glad you do not have a little brother or he would be in trouble!!
@Corbin5 I do not think so.I wish that I did have one.
@amadeo I wish you had one too. I have a little sister, and I am so fortunate to have her. I have an older brother, but do not get to see him often enough since he lives in another state.
Oh wow. I hope they got punished
I am sure they did, and I bet it was harsh punishment too.
@Corbin5 harsh is bad but back then.. it was okay i guess
• Pamplona, Spain
Dangerous game to play that one. Good job he was rescued indeed.
Yes, back in the late 1800s, all that talk and reading about cowboys and Indians would have kids trying to copy what they read.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 Yes looking at it that way they would take it just as a game and nothing else.
@kellyr634 (420)
Oh wow! Thank goodness your grandfather was there! Sounds like they had very active imaginations!
Well, not much to do back in the late 1800s, so imagination was important, if used the right way, that is.
@nanette64 (11220)
• Fairfield, Texas
OMG, now that is scary @Corbin5 .
Not much to do back in the late 1800s, so playing all things cowboy was the main form of play for the boys.
@nanette64 (11220)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 I use to play Cowboys & Indians with my brothers and sisters. I guess they were lucky when I pulled out the Bow & Arrow.
@nanette64 We played cowboys and Indians too and we had holsters and six-shooters. Since the six-shooters were mere toys, I threw a metal toy iron at my brother and broke the window. A girl's gotta do what a girls gotta do.
I can just see this going so wrong. I'm glad the outcome wasn't worse.
Boys do seem to engage in activities that can cause harm. We never told Mom that we put pennies on railroad tracks and waited for a speeding train to flatten them.
@Corbin5 Vince and his brothers used to do that too but I lived too far from any railway lines. I think I was a really good little girl.
@JudyEv I was a stinker!!!
@Gillygirl (14713)
• Sutton, England
It's lucky your great grandfather came to the rescue. Like today kids don't have a proper sense of danger.
They all were just kids, so easily influenced by all those cowboys-and-Indians stories. We never told my mom that we used to put pennies on the railroad tracks so that a speeding train headed to the city of Chicago would flatten them. We could have been killed by one of those.
@Gillygirl (14713)
• Sutton, England
@Corbin5 Gosh Deborah your mum would have been worried.
@Gillygirl It was wise of us not to tell her.
@ranan1989 (400)
Horrific story ... Such incident apparently happened in childhood as on that time we are generally fraught with visionary world and trying to do so
Yes, this happened back in the late 1800s and everything in the USA was about cowboys and Indians. The boys were just playing and did not realize the danger.
@Corbin5 hmm...understood clearly ...
@Nawsheen (22912)
• Mauritius
Omg your grandfather got lucky that your great grandfather got to save him else this would have ended very badly.
Yes, a disaster for sure if great-grandfather had not come to the rescue.
@Nawsheen (22912)
• Mauritius
@Corbin5 Sometimes we must be careful even if we are doing things for fun. This makes me think of pranks that have gone wrong
I am sure that they were only trying to have some innocent fun inspired by childish curiosity. They were incredibly lucky that it ended well, though. It very easily could have ended a different way. It is terrifying sometimes what children can decide to do in the name of fun and curiosity!
I know. Back in the late 1800s, parents had so many kids and so much work to do that watching the kids all the time was not an option.
@Corbin5 I also bet that they figured there was not that much the kids could get into, either, because they did not have so many of the things we have today. Their biggest dangers back then were animals, weather, terrain and each other.
I could never hang by little brother, he is 18 months younger but he has always been a lot bigger than I am.
I suppose the brothers worked together to get my grandfather into that noose and raise him up. They were just kids at the time, so they needed more than one person.
@Corbin5 They surely needed to be more than one. I only have one brother, we lived in a big city, we were most of the time with our Mom in our parents apartment.
@ShifaLk (7261)
How Scary !!!
I bet their parents were frightened beyond belief.
@ShifaLk (7261)
@Corbin5 Really
Oh my! I am just glad that he was not killed or otherwise seriously injured by the experience (experiment too). Boys will be Boys comes to mind...
So true. It seems the boys are the ones who engage in activities that can turn into a disaster.
@Corbin5 We (females) tend to stay indoors more growing up.. I did have my fair share of rowdy play but it was balanced with learning to cook and clean as well.. I never did learn to sew, or any other needlecraft, however.
@bunnybon7 (30438)
• Holiday, Florida
children often do such things and sometimes it is tragic. good thing they got the dad to help. yes it is why us panicy type parents keep too close an eye on them. even that is not good either but i learned to loosen the apron strings a little with the last 2.
Yes, back in the late 1800s, parents were too busy to keep an eye on a large number of kids, I would think. Eventually, we do have to let kids be free of us for a while these days to allow them to be independent and not frightened of every little thing.
@bunnybon7 (30438)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 i know. good thing about a large family back then was having an older be able to look out for the others. lol
@Daljinder (19240)
Yikes! That could have ended very badly. Children in their innocence are capable of quite a bit of mayhem. That is why, they should always be supervised.
Yes, back in the late 1800s, I do not think children were closely supervised. There were so many children and the parents so busy back in the day.
@Daljinder (19240)
@Corbin5 Yep! In the days past people had many children.
Oh how very scary thank.God great grandfather was there to rescue him
Yes. glad my grandfather was set free of the noose. We never told my mom that we used to put pennies on the railroad tracks to be flattened by a speeding train. Could have been killed doing that, but some of us survive those silly things we try.
Thank goodness there was a happy ending.
Yes, they were just little kids and did not realize that playing cowboy that way could lead to a problem.
Egads that could have ended worse than a good whipping
Yep. In the late 1800s, everything was cowboys and Indians, so the boys were just copying what they had read. Glad great-grandfather came to the rescue.
@Fishmomma (11389)
I'm glad he was alright, as my face turned white reading the post. That would have scared me to be perfect all the time.
Yes, a disaster it would have been if the boys had not great-grandfather save the day.
@acelawrites (9247)
It's a very dangerous game! Good thing your great grandfather came to the rescue.
Yes, back in the day, most boys were trying to imitate cowboys!