An Early Morning Walk

I created this picture a few years ago
@BettyB (4309)
Summerville, South Carolina
I have always been a morning person. There’s nothing better than starting the day with an invigorating walk. Before I messed up my ankle last fall, my friend and I would walk two to three miles every morning. We would head out just as dawn was approaching. Messing up my ankle and the subsequent surgery put a halt to that daily routine. Well, I’m walking again but it will be a while before I will hit the three mile mark. I just got back. Suzanne kept going but I called it quits at the mile and a half mark. Hopefully I’ll be back to the three mile trek by the end of the summer. One step at a time. Are you a walker? What time of day do you like to walk?
Before having a family, I used to love taking a brisk walk through our local college. Early morning was often gray with a bit of fog - I loved it. But I didn't mind taking a walk at any time of day. Now I walk at the same college but only after dropping the kids off at school . . . which is fine, but it's not as gray and cool as I'd like it. We go hiking and such with Hubby and the kids . . . and sometimes we even take a neighborhood walk in the evenings. You are smart to listen to your body and ease into those distance goals!
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Walking is wonderful exercise. It doesn't require special equipment or a membership to a gym.
@BettyB Exactly! I also like the feeling of going somewhere, a journey, an adventure of some sorts.
@kaka135 (13418)
It sounds good that you and your family are hiking and walking always. I always think these are good family activities, creating bond and healthy too. Though I have always been walking as I was young, as I don't drive, I started to really enjoy walking or jogging since I have kids. I also agree that walking is a good exercise and we don't require anyone else to go with us too, we can just go on our own.
I like to walk some because it's good exercise. At work, I get up from my desk quite a lot so I'm not sitting there all day.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
My sister has a desk job. She says she has to make excuses to get up every now and then. Me, I'd never be able to sit long enough to get any work done.
@BettyB I often walk to the back of the building to tell one of my bosses that his clients are here or that someone is on the phone for him. Sometimes I use the phone system, but I like to get up and move.
That's progress. No, I'm not a walker, I'm a swimmer.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I love to swim. Once I finish the radiation treatments I'll be back in the pool at least 3-4 times a week.
@BettyB It's the best exercise. I try for 6 days a week, but this week will only be four, still it's worth it.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@just4him I'll go more once the pool in our neighborhood opens.
My garden takes care of the number of miles that I walk in a day (lol)
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I hope to get out in my garden later today. I have some bushes that need a haircut.
@BettyB I am more out than in and when in I am more here than in my kitchen (lol)
Yes, I am a walker and I also love early morning, before breakfast, when nobody is still around.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
It's nice when you hear nothing but the birds.
@BettyB It's what I love of summer, when the windows are opened and I hear the birds chirping early in the morning.
You are making great progress! I've been walking for about 20 years and do 5+ miles first thing in the morning. I sometimes take afternoon walks with a friend in Florida, and evening walks with my hubby. I only ride my bike in Florida, because it's nice and flat and do laps in the pool or ocean.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I would love to walk five miles a day, but I don't think I'll ever get past three. I start thinking about what I want to get done at home, and cut it short.
@BettyB They say that 30 minutes a day is great, too. If I have things to do, I cut my walks short, too.
@sueznewz2 (8551)
• Alicante, Spain
yes... I love to walk ... anytime of day ... we have a dog which means I go out with him at least four times... but I also go out walkkng without him too... I'm glad you have got back to walking...
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I'm slowly working my way back to my old routine. Fear of hurting my ankle again has slowed me down.
@sueznewz2 (8551)
• Alicante, Spain
@BettyB well it's good to be cautious... but i'm glad you're out walking again...
• Lakewood, Colorado
I try to be a walker but this weather here is so iffy all the time. I too am a dawn person. I hope you heal quickly and you are doing what you love.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
My sister likes to walk but she lives in North Dakota. If its not too cold, the mosquitoes drive her around the bend. She finally gave up and got a treadmill.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@BettyB Aw the weather and bugs poor Sis well good she got the treadmill Betty.
@else34 (13503)
• New Delhi, India
@BettyB I go out for long walk in evening and cover 5 to 7 kms in about one hour.Can't walk in the morning,because I have to go to my workplace.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
When I was working I walked in the evenings. I still do, sometimes, but I'm too tired and lazy by that time.
@else34 (13503)
• New Delhi, India
@BettyB I can understand.With growing age we become weaker.However you walk in the morning and it's good for your health.Wish you a long and healthy life.
You did well and as you say it's early days yet. I love Robert Frost's poetry.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Hopefully I'll be back to the old routine by the end of the summer.
@BettyB I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
@kritis (232)
Great that you are morning person..and morning walk is very good...hope you will soon be fit and touch your mark once again. Well I am not at all a morning person...I used to go for a walk in evening but nowadays it is also not done..may be starting soon.. Get well soon..good wishes..
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I have a friend that pushes me when I get lazy. The ankle is getting better/stronger every day.
@kritis (232)
@BettyB That's great
@gilggg (2236)
• Israel
I walk 3-2 in a week for 7-8KM each- At the evening time - I like it then because everything is so quiet and calm on the path at this time
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Sometimes walking can be a form of meditation.
@gilggg (2236)
• Israel
@BettyB I'm agree with you
I tend to do brisk walking in the afternoon.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I like to walk in the afternoons in the winter, but its too hot now to walk midday.
@BettyB I agree. If it is Summer season in my city, I tend to walk past midday. It is cooler and comfortable to have brisk walking.
@Essjayd (1010)
I'm not a morning person unfortunately my dog dictates that at least 8-10 miles are walked in a day. I detest trying to walk him at 5am before I start work but I love the long evening walks along the beach!
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
If I had a beach nearby I would probably walk more. The main reason I walk in the morning is that once I get started on projects I have a hard time stopping. I want to walk morning and evening, but the evening walks are inconsistent.
@kaka135 (13418)
I always wanted to add jogging into my morning routine, but I haven't do that consistently yet. I wake up early as I need to do my work with my computer before the kids get up. Once I am with my computer, it doesn't seem easy for me to leave as I know when the kids get up, I don't have much time to work anymore. I go to the park with my kids always every evening, and we always walk in the park, for perhaps 2km. I started to take the opportunity to jog in the evening while my husband bring the kids to the park first, then I join them later. I would like to jog with them, but my girl is too lazy to jog or even walk, so I'd rather go by myself. Hope your ankle will be fully recovered soon and you'll get back to your three mile mark. Yes, one step at a time and be gentle to your ankle.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I totally understand getting computer work done before the kids are up. I remember what that was like. Hopefully I'll be walking the full distance again before the summer is over.
@Jotomy (5352)
I used to walk early in the morning along with my aunt and now she gone to US back and I am afraid of going walk alone to the garden.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
That's unfortunate. Is there anyone else you can walk with?
@responsiveme (11928)
Yes, and early morning.the air is so fresh
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
So true, and the birds are singing. The walk is invigorating.
@marsha32 (6784)
For years I've said I was going to start going on daily walks....I might do a day or 2 then stop.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
It takes discipline. Walking with a friend helps.
I don't do much walking. My knees are horrible and walking is difficult. I wish I could take a nice long walk in the morning but I can only accomplish a short little walk with the dogs.
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I'm sure that's frustrating. I have trouble if I push too hard. I'm hoping it will get easier.
• Avon, Connecticut
@bettyb I have the same situation, I'm a morning person and love to walk. I used to walk 3 - 6 miles a day everyday and now with a broken ankle, not sure when I will be able to do that again :-(
@BettyB (4309)
• Summerville, South Carolina
You'll get back to it. I had surgery in December and finally got the go ahead in April. I'm going slow. I don't want to end up in a cast again.