Oh! The Drama!

A few of my friends were going to celebrate our 8th-grade graduation at the Trieste Restaurant, a nice family restaurant that was just a two-block-walk from my home. We were to meet at the restaurant at 6:00 p.m., and we would enjoy eating pizza together! My parents knew all of my 8th grade friends who invited me to meet them at the restaurant to celebrate. My parents also knew the parents of my friends. My parents said I could not go. It would be dark outside when the celebration ended, and they claimed there was no reason for a 13-year-old girl to be out with friends at a restaurant during the evening hours. I told my parents, "You have ruined my graduation! You have ruined my life!" I still did not get to go, despite a superb dramatic performance on my part. Yep, I figure if I still remember this incident, my parents did ruin my life, for an evening.
What's the famous come back line all parents use in that situation? You'll live. Sorry you couldn't go to the party.
@Daljinder (19831)
@just4him My parents had another, " yes yes we did. Okay? Now shut up and stop with the dramatics"
@Daljinder Well, I gave it a good shot, but they did not give in. Darn them.
@just4him Yes, I remember the "You'll live." Glad I did not use that one on our son, but it seems its the girls who put up the most fuss.
Why did'nt they take you and pick you bck up. I always did that for my kids.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That would have made sense.
@jstory07 @TheHorse I think they thought it inappropriate for 13-year-olds to be in a restaurant without parental supervision. A bit too strict in my opinion.
@Lupita234 Yes, more stern than today, I think.
@garymarsh6 (12097)
But you have made up for it since visiting restaurants! Sometimes our parents seem so harsh eh but they loved us to bits.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I remember how evil my parents were, making me home by 10:30 PM on school nights. I should have called CPS.
@garymarsh6 (12097)
@TheHorse 10:30 oh my they were very liberal! 8PM was more than late enough for us!
Yes, I was devastated for a few days, and then all was well. Girls can get a bit dramatic.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Yes they certainly did. Nice pic to demonstrate so Deborah..aww that is sad you didn't get to go.
I was definitely upset. Heck, one of the kids was a Quaker, and he got to go. Not fair.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Corbin5 Oh come on! Even the Quaker got to go? Shoot, they could have picked you up right? or something?
@TiarasOceanView Yep, they should have let me go if the Quaker went.
@topffer (30589)
• France
Lol, my mother refused me to go to the birthday party of my girlfriend when I was 16, and I took it really bad. She was a real mother hen, very possessive, and was denigrating all my friends. Retrospectively, it makes me laugh.
Yes, I laugh about it now too. I put on a stellar performance riddled with despair, but they did not fall for that. So sorry you missed that birthday party! You and I suffered so!
@topffer (30589)
• France
@Corbin5 Oh, we had tense relations during weeks after that
My parents ruined my life for a few evening in my young years.
I am glad you and I recovered!
@Corbin5 Yes, we recovered, but we still remember.
@Nawsheen (22862)
• Mauritius
So sad that you couldn't go. Maybe you got that 'left out' feeling.
I did get that feeling. Oh well, I recovered from the disappointment after a few days.
@Nawsheen (22862)
• Mauritius
@Corbin5 your parents were strict with you at that time it seems
• Pleasant Hill, California
I ruined an 8-year-old boys life yesterday. I wouldn't buy him a fidget spinner after he used inappropriate language toward me. I hope he recovers. How many years, months, day, or minutes did it take for you to recover? Is there a critter more dramatic than a 13-year-old girl?
Oh dear. Yes, you did ruin that child's life!!!! He will recover, thank goodness. I recovered after a few days, but I sure put on a good show to show my despair.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Corbin5 I'm sure you were on the brink of jumping out of a window. I hope my little guy earns a fidget spinner next week.
@DaddyEvil (22364)
I can easily believe you would be willing to ruin a person's life for such a silly reason, pony! You should be so ashamed of yourself! LMFAO!
@responsiveme (14417)
Youngsters do take it badly don't they..They rules were stricter in our times too
That is true. We had a lot of rules growing up.
@nanette64 (13730)
• Fairfield, Texas
Yeah, back then you couldn't even sneak out of the house @Corbin5 .
They sure kept an eagle eye on us!
@Daljinder (19831)
We didn't have any graduation ceremonies but we rarely were allowed to go at friend's place if it wasn't for studies. That too was a rare occurrence because my parents knew that I preferred studying by myself
My dad was an educator, and I do believe he was a bit more strict than other parents. I preferred to study alone too.
it does not get too dark at that time.Daylight savings time?or dark
Well, I think they were concerned about my staying too late when it began to get dark.
Oh those moments.. had one or two but over not being able to go to the movies lol
For heaven's sake, you and I were the best girls ever, and they still treated us badly. Not fair!
@Courtlynn But, you are a wonderful person, my friend. We all did things that we should not have done. No way did I tell my parents what went on in college. Nice of me to save them from that information.
@Corbin5 thanks. I like to think so. As do many others.. you are as well.
@Shwetasingh (1364)
But their opinion is right. Whatever they have done is for the your safety.
So true. A shame young ones do not see that we are looking out for their welfare, but they will in time.
@Corbin5 ya they will.
@WriterAI (3813)
• Bulgaria
It's a normal conflict between generations. Also the parents' feeling about your security prevailed against your wish. It is typical when the child is 13 years old. They did want you would be safe at any rate. All was on the second place for them. It's a pity that in such events the child should have his/her own right to follow his/her wish/wishes. But the parent is stronger in this child's graduation period.
Yes, they were just trying to protect me. I sure put up a fuss, though.
@WriterAI (3813)
• Bulgaria
@JustBhem (22430)
• Davao, Philippines
Sorry, I need to ask. Are you 13 years old?
No, not 13. That incident happened when I was a kid. However, I did teach 13-year-olds before I retired. The girls in my classroom were always full of drama; the guys were laid back.
@JustBhem (22430)
• Davao, Philippines
@Corbin5 I see I get it now. Thanks.
@Essjayd (1168)
Aww it's a shame they didn't let you go! I was lucky my parents gave me a lot more freedom than some of my friends had. The only deal was I had to be honest about where I was going and who with.
Yes, freedom was at a minimum back in the day. It was sure nice to go away to college.
@Essjayd (1168)
@Corbin5 Parents do what they think is best! Lol it's usually the ones who had restricted freedom who made the most of their freedom at college or university. I worked in a university and we used to love watching the change in students over the first year!
@tom_view (2671)
• Kolkata, India
they ruined an evening of your life.
Glad I recovered quickly.
@tom_view (2671)
• Kolkata, India
@Corbin5 that is very good.
@LeaPea2417 (15277)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is too bad. Did they do something else nice for your 8th grade graduation celebration?
You know, I do not remember. I probably do not remember due to my lousy attitude displayed when they did not allow me to go with my friends.
Parents have a way of doing that to us. But, if it were just for an evening, not a bad thing. They tried their best.
Yes, they were just thinking of my safety.