Can onions make you cry?

I've heard thousands of people talk about this throughout my life, that onion has the "power" to make people cry when they cut them.... But to this day it never happened to me. Would it be just a "urban legend"? Has this ever happened to you?
It can depends on how strong the onion is, but the juicy ones do.
@ilocosboy (17517)
The answer is yes. Tears are flowing in my cheeks like candle tears ever time I cut the onions.
@Sreekala (15276)
Only if you're stupid enough to have a cut that close to your face yes it will. Onions don't make my eyes water because I don't cut them that close to my eyes why would I. I take it that you're smart too good for you
@stbrians (10334)
• Kakamega, Kenya
So you have once cried?
@sallypup (15669)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Onions help me to figure how my sinuses are doing. When I'm congested onions don't phase me. Otherwise when I slice and chop onions I look like somebody beat me up. A salesman came to the door one day and asked me if I was alright?! I said yes. Just been cutting up onions and my eyes are running and my nose is yucky. Sorry mister.
Yes, I have had that happen!
@tessastv (265)
• Inverness, Scotland
YES! They always make me cry, unfortunately.. It's so annoying, everytime! You're really blessed for that it never happend to you, haha!
@ShifaLk (6181)
No. It really does and I continue to feel the pain for at least 1hour :(
@_robin (314)
I used to wear glasses during this crucial time.. It helps a lot.
That's quite normal for me to cry badly when I am cutting the onions. This is why sometimes I will put on the goggles. Although it looks weird, but at least it works
@shynu44 (1033)
i do wear glasses sometimes if it is getting to unbearable
@Sreekala (15276)
Yes, I am a person who cries with onion. I think my eyes are more sensitive. There are many tips available to avoid 'cry' on cutting onion.
Sometimes they can!
• Eugene, Oregon
They don't make me cry, that is an emotional reaction, bu they sure as heck can make my eyes water and my nose sting every time.
@shivamani10 (8399)
• Hyderabad, India
I am really scared of cutting Onions.
@responsiveme (11069)
No, the eyes of water if you peel onion
• New Delhi, India
You are really lucky. I always cry while chopping onions
OMG! Yes thousands of times. Do you cook? chop onions?
@cherigucchi (3885)
It really does make me cry. Glad that it never happened to you and I wonder why.
@louievill (14086)
I cried when I first encountered it but not anymore. There are varieties than are stronger than others.
@1creekgirl (5671)
Of course it has. It's the juice from the onions that make your eyes water and burn.