~Stranger In Our Garage!!~

Jacksonville, Florida
Good morning everyone! Last night had to be one of the strangest nights we have had in a while. My daughter and I went outside late at night and I noticed the side garage door was open a bit. I asked my daughter to turn on the light, check the garage and then shut the door. When my daughter turned on the light there was a scream from inside the garage!! I was a few feet away from there and I thought it was my daughter who screamed-thinking it was a lizard or something that startled her. Nope! My daughter said there's someone in the garage! I said that wasn't you who screamed? She said no-let's go get daddy!! My daughter was so scared and I felt so bad for asking her to check! I should have done it myself but I never thought someone was actually in there!! My husband ran outside to check things out and the girl was still in our garage when he got out there. He said what are you doing in my garage?!? She told him she was sleeping in there. He asked her how did you know that door was open? She said her cat (Pebbles-the cat that adopted our family) told her it was safe to sleep in our garage! We have been noticing for months that when we wake up in the mornings our side garage door would be open or the light inside would be on. We asked the neighbor if he saw anyone or anything and he would always say he didn't. My husband thought he was losing his mind but in reality it was this homeless girl who was sleeping in there the whole time! She must know our routine because she's gone before any of my family wakes up. The good thing is she has never stolen anything and never messed with anything in there. The only thing she has done is gone through our garbage looking for food. So...that was our crazy night with a stranger in our garage!!
• Cyprus
That must have been scary for you. But I am really sorry for the girl. Is she a young girl? Is there a homeless shelter nearby? Or a chance of you taking care of her for a while?
@thehousewife She's in her 30's. We are going to put a mattress in the garage and let her sleep in there. If we see her we will feed her too. I feel so bad for her-we all do. =(
• Cyprus
@LovingMyBabies You are doing a good thing.
@thehousewife Thank you.
did you comfort her.Feed her.Find her family?notify the authority
@amadeo Yes my husband talked with her and let her know she can stay whenever she needs to. We're going to put a mattress in there for her and feed her whenever she needs it. No we did not notify the authorities because she didn't do anything wrong.
Very kind of you to help her out that way, but she needs help. Her situation needs to be assessed.
@marlina Without a job and vehicle she's not going to get on her feet unfortunately. No one here really helps with that.
@LovingMyBabies There is nothing like "social welfare" where she could ask for some help?
@marlina Everywhere you go here is at least a 30 minute drive away. If she doesn't ask someone for a ride she will never get to social services. They would most likely tell her to go to a shelter but if their full there's nothing you can do, which there's usually a big waiting list. They don't help much here when you don't have kids. Without a shower even if they helped find employment for her she won't get hired and without a vehicle here you will not make it because everything is quite a distance away. Unfortunately you can't get a job without a vehicle and you can't get a vehicle without a job so what do you do? She can't take a bus without money and she wouldn't get paid for 2 weeks since every job holds back a week. That's why there are so many homeless people... Unless someone really helps you in every way get on your feet your screwed.
@ilocosboy (17517)
So what now, did you turn-over the girl to the social and welfare administration.
@ilocosboy No we did what we would have wanted someone to do for us. My husband tried asking her some things but she was embarrassed. We're going to put a mattress in there for her to sleep on from now on.
@sugartoes (24433)
• Greencastle, Indiana
WOW that is a 1st (so say) so you say she's been doing this for awhile? & she's been picking your trash for FOOD? that poor girl, so what now? do you leave the door open or do you lock it so she can't sleep there??
@sugartoes You know me better than that! We are going to put a mattress in there for her and ask her at night if she wants food or something to drink! I feel so bad for her. =( I wish she asked for our help before we found her because we would have gladly helped any way we could.
@sugartoes (24433)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@LovingMyBabies yeah I do know that's what you do cause you like me I would do the same thing too. do you know how old she is or where she came from or how long she been homeless & WHY she's homeless. I know you just finding out about her in your garage but maybe you can find out all you can about her without scaring her away as you know some people get scared when you try to find out about them & leave like a scared bird & we don't want that.
@sugartoes She was embarrassed when my husband asked her those things and she left. We don't know if she will come back again but if she does there will be a mattress in there for her. =)
@fishtiger58 (27201)
• Momence, Illinois
Wow I feel so bad for the girl. So what happened to her after you found her.
@fishtiger58 I feel bad for her too. We're going to put a mattress in there for her to sleep on and if we see her ask if she wants some food. =( She left, I think she was just as scared as we were and embarrassed too.
@fishtiger58 (27201)
• Momence, Illinois
@LovingMyBabies You are so very kind. I would have to help her as well.
@fishtiger58 Thank you. We try helping when we can.
@silvermist (19147)
@LovingMyBabies That is scary and sad.The good hearted person that is you are going to help her out.That is nice.But hope you always lock your home while leaving the garage door open.You have small kids and you do not know anything about her.
@silvermist Oh yes we always lock our house door. We can't take that kind of chance regardless.
@IreneVincent (12849)
Oh my! I hope the girl has been able to get some needed help. And I'm glad that it wasn't someone who might have harmed your family. What a night!
@IreneVincent She left after my husband talked to her but he told her she can stay if she wants to. Not sure if she will be back but we're going to put a mattress in there for her. Thank God it wasn't someone dangerous. It was a crazy night with not much sleep!
@LovingMyBabies I know that there are a lot of homeless persons everywhere. It's a sad world we live in. Many people wonder why the world is in such a mess. There is an answer. Here's a link to a 3 minute video that will answer that question.
Why study the Bible? Find answers to life’s big questions: Is there a God? Will suffering end? See how to get a free Bible study at a time and place convenient for you.
@Daljinder (19258)
That poor girl! But I must say she couldn't have been found by much better people. Knowing you for sometime, I am sure you will help her in some way.
@Daljinder I know we felt really bad for her. We are putting a mattress in there for her and we will get her some food whenever she's hungry.
Oh my goodness! Did you call the police or dcf? I would've. Poor girl.
@Courtlynn No. We have been homeless before and we know how that feels. We would never call someone like that unless they did something wrong. Which she did not. We are helping her not hurting her.
@LovingMyBabies but shes a child. Thats different than being an adult. She needs help by her parents or the state.
@BarBaraPrz (15188)
• Hamilton, Ontario
@Courtlynn In an earlier response, Jennifer said the "girl" was in her 30s. Hardly a child.
I feel so sad for this girl, she must not be a bad girl, those who pretend to talk to animals are nice people usually.
@LadyDuck I do too. We know she can't be that harmful anyway because she's been sleeping in there for months before we knew it. So, she had plenty of chances to do something if she wanted to.
@LovingMyBabies She is surely not dangerous, but I can understand that it's a problem to know that there is someone sleeping in the garage.
@LadyDuck It's only a problem because we can't help her get on her feet unfortunately. With 5 kids we can't afford to buy her a vehicle to get a job-I wish we could though!
@dodo19 (23865)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Wow! That is definitely the situation. Thankfully, no one got hurt. It is nice that you are letting her sleep there, when she needs to.
@dodo19 Yeah she's been in there for a while and never messed with anyone or anything.
@dodo19 (23865)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@LovingMyBabies It doesn't sound as though she wants to cause any trouble.
@dodo19 I don't think so either since she's been here for a while before we knew she was.
@WriterAI (2721)
• Bulgaria
You are nice and good people. I was thrilled at the beginning but then I saw that it is purely human story.
@WriterAl. Thank you. I'm not sure what you mean by human story?
@WriterAI (2721)
• Bulgaria
@LovingMyBabies Loving human beings.
@WriterAI Oh okay thank you for explaining it. =)
@Tina30219 (16483)
• Onaway, Michigan
Wow I would say crazy night indeed. Do you think now that you know she will still come back or she will go some place else?
@Tina30219 It was! Lol. I'm not sure since my husband said she seemed very embarrassed. =(
@Tina30219 (16483)
• Onaway, Michigan
@LovingMyBabies Maybe she will get over it and come back knowing she will have a warm place to sleep.
@Tina30219 Yeah I hope so because we would love to help her.
You and your husband have such kind hearts. I do hope that she will return. How old was this young lady? Saddens my heart that so many are homeless and haven't a way to get beyond it.
@ElusiveButterfly Thank you. We try to help others whenever we are able to. She was in her 30's. I know, it's so sad that there isn't enough help out there for homeless people. =(
@LovingMyBabies our homeless coalition just bought a house and renovated it. They have a great program for those who want to get help.
@ElusiveButterfly I wish there was more help here but there isn't. =(
@DWDavis (10062)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
How nerve wracking that must have bee for you. I'm glad it turned out to be someone relatively harmless. What is to become of the homeless girl now that you know about her?
@DWDavis Yes it was! I'm very grateful she never took anything or caused any harm to us. Well we're going to feed her, put a mattress in there for her and hopefully we can help as much as possible if she allows us to.
@DWDavis (10062)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@LovingMyBabies Has she returned since the night you found her? How old would you say she is? I've been praying she accepts your help and eventually finds her way to someplace that can help her get back on her feet.
@DWDavis We haven't seen her again. =( I think she's in her 30's. Thank you for praying for her, I have done the same. I hope she can get the help she needs.
How scary and sad. I am glad you are allowing her to sleep in the garage since she has nowhere else to go. At least if they comes back she will have a mattress to sleep on. That is very kind and sweet of you but I know you well enough to know that you would never turn her out with no place to go.
@Happy2beme Yes it is. =( Yeah we figured that's the least we could do for her. We do have a family to protect so we can't bring her inside until we really get to know her but we have no problem feeding her and allowing her to sleep in the garage more comfortably. Thank you, no I wouldn't do that to anyone.
@LovingMyBabies That is great. There should be more people like you around.
@Happy2BeMe Thank you!
• Los Arcos, Spain
Glad you got it sorted out. Hope she can find somewhere to live.
@lovinangelsinstead21 Yeah, I hope she can too.
• Los Arcos, Spain
@LovingMyBabies It must have been scary at first to find her there though.
@ShifaLk (6181)
Oh my god.. that is actually a very sad and hurting truth that she doesn't have a place to live my heart is broken to hear this oh no :( I hope that she gets a place to live
@ShifaLk Yes it is. There are a lot of homeless people here. =(
@ShifaLk (6181)
Wow that's insane. Me personally I would make sure everything was locked up at all times.
@TRBRocks420 Yeah it was definitely strange. My husband lost the key to the garage so we can't lock that door but we always lock our doors to the house.
@LovingMyBabies Good because while I know you want to help people, you can't always trust everyone and, sometimes if you give an inch, people will take a mile.