14 Days and Counting

@DWDavis (15035)
Pikeville, North Carolina
If all goes as planned, I have only 14 student days remaining in my public education career. There will be a few work days after that, and then my 16 1/2 years as a state employee/teacher will come to an end. The official end will be July 31. On August 1, I should become a teacher in the Diocesan school system and on August 7 will attend my first workday as a 4th grade teacher in my sons' alma mater. I am both excited and a little nervous. Although I've taught all four core subjects, I've never taught them all in the same year, and I've never taught 4th graders. The good news is I will have a lot of help and support at the new school. Have you ever made such a change in job after being so long with one employer?
@responsiveme (16874)
Congratulations on your new job.You will do well as you take up the challenge I have been teaching for 25 years now at my college What will the change in the educational system now? Will it be the same exams?
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My new position is with a small, private, Catholic school. They use the IOWA tests annually to assess how well the students are learning. Other than 8th grade End of Grade tests preparatory to moving on to high school, there are no big end of year exams.
I had the same job for forty years. I think you will do good.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
This is the longest I've held one job. I was a public accountant for 12 years before that.
I'm glad you have found a new position. I'm sure 4th graders will be easier than what you've been faced with lately.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
And these 4th graders will come from a much different environment and home life than the kids I teach now. They will have more self-respect and respect for others, including their teachers.
@DWDavis Which will all be a huge positive after what you've been through.
I think that you will do just fine. Yes, I had been with a bank for 12 years or so and then I quit. Career wise, I was in the banking business off and on for over 25 years. Then I quit to take a job as a Receptionist in a law/cpa office and I really enjoy it. No stress.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Moving to a small, private, Catholic school will be a major change in venue for me, but I am ready for a lot less drama.
@DWDavis Many times, change is good.
I do not stay that long anywhere, but I do have a hard time changing. I absolutely love fourth graders, granted special needs fourth graders can be a challenge but I have sincerely enjoyed the classes they have been included in.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
4th grade will be a challenge for me, but I have dealt with Cub Scouts in this age group for years and gotten on well with them.
@Deepizzaguy (15526)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I did leave working as a driver for Domino's Pizza when Hurricane Katrina struck the Greater New Orleans area in 2005 to work as a caretaker for my late mother for four years.
@valmnz (12768)
• New Zealand
That sounds quite interesting. As I don't understand your school system, am I right in thinking what you are doing is moving to the private school sector?
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
The school I am moving to is the Catholic school both of my sons graduated from. I think it will be a positive place to work out the rest of my years until retirement.
@valmnz (12768)
• New Zealand
@DWDavis how does the catholic school system compare with the public? Here most teachers prefer to stay in the public system.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@valmnz Pay wise, public schools pay better. Quality of student wise, Catholic schools far outpace the public schools.
Oh I am late getting to this discussion DW. I am excited too for you. Wow after all those long years, a new environment for you. I know I believe you will be excellent in it. And your sons both of them in that school is it? Big congratulations on this DW. Will you have time to finish your new book though?
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Both my sons went to this school from Pre-K3 through 8th grade. They're both in their 20s now. But I know the school well. I hope to have time to finish my new book. It may be later coming out than I'd hoped, though.
@DWDavis I did not realize your sons were grown DW, I don't know why I thought they were younger. Yes you may have to wait a bit for the finish of the book, thats okay.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@TiarasOceanView I may be able to get my next book out this summer. It is with my editor now. I've got another manuscript I just finished the first draft of waiting for me to be ready for a second go. And last night I had an idea for another book and jotted down a page and a half of notes for the opening chapter.
@shshiju (10557)
• Cochin, India
Congrats for your new job as teacher. Getting job here is not a easy task here. There are always a huge rush.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
With the decline and demoralization of public school teachers here in NC, the problem they are having is finding enough teachers to fill the vacant classrooms.
@shshiju (10557)
• Cochin, India
@DWDavis demoralization or teachers ? that is terrible
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@shshiju The Republicans who now control the state legislature took over by running on a platform demonizing teachers for being the cause of all the state's economic woes because we wanted too much pay, too much money spent on the students for books and technology, and too much money spent on new schools to replace the crumbling, tumbling down buildings we were working in. 8 years of hearing that from your own government and in the press would demoralize anyone.
Well, congratulations!!! You will be just fine and much happier. I changed schools after 20 years, but not systems. It was the best move I made.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I am excited about starting at the new school, but sad to leave my current school. It was not an easy decision, but I know it was the right one.
@DWDavis I totally understand. You have to do what's best for you.
@drannhh (15247)
You are going right from the fat into the fire? RFLOL. I have changed an awful lot of jobs, some short and some `5 years or more, but my first teaching assignment was at a Catholic school, and all the rest were public schools. I have taught at least a little bit in every grade from first to the university, but 4th grade is hands down the easiest. You will love it.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I am very familiar with this particular school and its staff. Both of my sons went there from Pre-K3 to 8th grade, which is the last year this school offers. I have known the Principal for over 20 years and we've been talking about me coming to work for her for the past several years. This year the timing was just right for both of us.
@drannhh (15247)
@DWDavis Sounds wonderful.
It has been a hard decision to take, but I am sure you will be a lot better with your next job.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I think I will be able to go back to enjoying going to work each day, the way I did years ago.
@DWDavis I wish you can go back enjoying going to work. When the work is a pleasure life is so much better.
But you continuing as an educator? Just not working for public school system?
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I am continuing as a teacher. I am just moving to an environment where most of my time can be spent on teaching instead of dealing with behavior issues, breaking up fights, and trying to control feral children.
@DWDavis This describes how the children I work with are. We actually have lots of kids in our school on the autism spectrum, but our room has dealt with the most challenging, then there are the ID, or MR kids. Wherever kids come from, though, they need to be taught life skills at home so that teachers can do their jobs safely.
@TheSojourner (17298)
I'm so glad to hear that this is your final few weeks. I know that it's taking its toll on you in some ways. You have been a good teacher, and you've made a lot of difference in a lot of people's lives. And there comes a time that we have to make changes, so that we can grow. You will make just as much a difference as you always have been and it opens up opportunities for you but you may not even know were possible! I wish you the best, and I am so proud of you for taking this step.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
A lot of thought, prayer, and heartfelt discussions went into making this decision. It did not come easily. But this year has taken a physical and emotional toll like none before it, and things are not going to get any better in the public school system. It was time for me to move on.
@DWDavis I know it's been on your mind for a time other than just this year. Life is presented itself in the way that it needed to in order for you to make the decision.
@crossbones27 (21982)
• Redlands, California
Not really just quit, that is a life changer let me tell you. I think this is awesome if this is the direction you want to take. Still get paid and more happy. All I got was total dissatisfaction and no pay check.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
When I was growing up my father was one who would just up and quit his job with nothing to go to in its place. It made for some very difficult times for our family. I always promised myself I would never do that. This year, though, there have been days when I nearly did.
• Redlands, California
@DWDavis I hear your brother, I am single, do have my sister, but still not really harming anyone but me. That being said, awesome you feel good about this and at the end of the day all that matters. Glad you stuck with it because trust me, unless you are some kind of upper management. The private sector gets no pay, some really crappy pay. 400 dollars a week on average and that is California. Higher pay scale than most.
@atoz1to10 (6821)
I am on the way of changing my job now, but not sure what... Congratulation on your new job. Hope you will have a great time there...
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thank you. And I wish you well as you seek a new job.
@atoz1to10 (6821)
@DWDavis thank you..
I am so excited that you have joined the Diocesan team of teachers, it is a much different atmosphere and believe it or not, religion is expected and part of every day, can you believe it? My last grandson Jack is entering Kindergarten at St John Paul II after having been through their preschool this past year. All my other grandson's went to Catholic School as well. I was our parish secretary for 18 years and was on our school's school board for quite a few years.You will love it I am sure and be a wonderful addition to their staff.
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Both of my sons attended the school I'll be teaching at from Pre-K3 through 8th grade. I've known the Principal for 20 years and we've always planned that I would teach for her some day. Yay! It's some day.
@LeaPea2417 (22428)
• Toccoa, Georgia
No, I have not. I do wish you well with the big Change. Is this new school you will be teaching in a private school?
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
The new school is a private, Catholic school associated with the parish I attend. Both of my sons attended elementary and middle school there.
I hope that you will love your new job
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thanks. I'm looking forward to the opportunity of teaching a new grade level in a much different environment.
I haven't but I think you will do a wonderful job! =)
@DWDavis (15035)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thank you. I am really looking forward to working with a younger group of kids. They still experience the wonder of learning new things.