Reading, Writing and...Laundry

@CRK109 (14365)
Today has been one of those days when I truly did not want to get out of bed. I've been feeling so down. I had wanted to go to visit my niece tonight, but she doesn't want company. So I spent some time writing letters to friends. At least that made me feel a little less alone. I went through the books from the library and brought out the biggest. It's over 700 pages but it's part of a series that I really enjoy. The book is, "City of Heavenly Fire" by Cassandra Clare. I'm about halfway through it, mostly because I did laundry this evening. I enjoy bringing a good book down there because it makes the time pass a lot faster. No clue how I'll pass the time this weekend. My nephew let me borrow the full series of the original Bob Newhart show. It always makes me laugh. I watched about half of the first season last night and it was definitely a good choice for me. Made me feel pretty good. So I'll be watching more of that tomorrow. I also have a couple of movies waiting for my attention. Since I can't just sit and watch a movie (I'm too fidgety), maybe I'll start a new knitting project. Something small. I'm not sure I have the attention span for anything large. Claudia
@dwstory (969)
I wish I had learned how to knit but my mother did not know how so I never learned.
@dwstory (969)
There is nothing wrong with a guy doing knitting.
I learned how to knit in 3rd grade, still do it occasionally.
@dwstory (969)
@TRBRocks420 Is it easy to figure out.
Love the old Bob Newhart show enjoy.
@dwstory (969)
I love Bob Newhart to.
@CRK109 (14365)
I love his show, too. Although I never realized before how much those people ate! Every episode shows them eating something! lol
@CRK109 I am hungry just thinking about an episode lol.
Always nice to have some good books and good movies to pass the time.
@CRK109 (14365)
Yes, I have to keep a lot of things around to keep my brain busy!
That was such a good show. I hope that you feel better tomorrow and maybe your niece would like company on another day.
@CRK109 (14365)
I hope so, too. It's been a rough few weeks and I'm happy enough just to sleep through the weekend.
• Midland, Michigan
I hope that everything that you do now and through the weekend helps to cheer you up. Here it's raining a lot which becomes a bit gloomy after a bit. Sounds like you'll have a marathon of different things to attend to for a while.
@CRK109 (14365)
Depression makes me want to do nothing, and the key to feeling better is to get out and do something. So it's a little battle right now. And it's something I'm getting used to. Seems that, for me, living alone means going around and around like this occasionally.
• Midland, Michigan
@CRK109 Depression will do that to people that live with others too. Unless someone opens up about what is bringing them down we don't have a clue and therefore can't do much to help. One thing that I will do when feeling a bit down and not wanting to feel that way is to put on some upbeat music. Especially if it's something I can sing along to. It always cheers me back up so i can do whatever needs done.
• Austin, Texas
"You actually still writer letters to your friends?", asked the lady at MyLot in wonder and amazement.
@CRK109 (14365)
Yes. I have a FB friend who is quite ill and can't get online often enough for us to keep in touch, so we've begun writing long letters, which are wonderful. And another friend used to be in the military. I wrote to him the whole time he was overseas. Now that he's back home, he's asked if we can continue writing, so we are! I love getting these letters.
• Austin, Texas
@CRK109 - These days those kinds of letters are really really special. They are authentic historical records. I know all letters are. But with so much stuff that's in digital format, to preserve a conversation written by human hand becomes ever the more precious. Don't you think?
Do you remember the review you made about Discovery of Witches? It's a three book trilogy and I'm on the second one right now and it's very good. I read it too while I'm doing laundry. Shadow of Night and Book of Life are the other two books. I highly recommend them if you haven't read them. Yesterday was a day in which I had a hard time focusing on any one thing. I didn't spend much time doing anything. Today is the opposite. Lots to do today and I want to get some writing done.
@CRK109 (14365)
Yes, I remember that book so well and no I never did read the other two! Thanks so much for letting me know! I will put them on my list at the library!
@CRK109 I'm sure you'll like them.
I like to go to meet-ups. Go to meetup dot com and look to see if there are groups in your area doing things you like to do. It's usually free and you meet lots of people. Also check your library for activities. You can always volunteer somewhere on the weekends too, if you often have time on your hands. Being pro-active is important.
@CRK109 (14365)
I'd love to volunteer somewhere. A friend of mine who is 80 volunteers at the blood bank doing their mailings. She and I had a long talk about volunteering the other day. It's something I need to look into a little bit more. I definitely need to be around people more.
@CRK109 That's a very positive way of thinking. I hope you find someplace you like. Often volunteers can be picked up if they don't have transportation.
@shshiju (9189)
• Cochin, India
May your niece mood changes she will company with you. I am taking books from library once in a three or four days.
@CRK109 (14365)
Books from the library are wonderful!
@shshiju (9189)
• Cochin, India
@CRK109 Yes we got any type of books with our interest.
I am sorry your niece was in the mood to be alone. A good movie is a nice way to spend sometimes and not to feel alone.
@CRK109 (14365)
I have to get creative when I'm alone and feeling a little depressed. I have to keep finding ways to keep myself going.
@CRK109 I can imagine, it's hard to encourage ourselves to be happy when we are not in the mood.
@YrNemo (7483)
Some of my knitted cardigans or scarves are still half way done after almost a decade. I just lost the mood somewhere somehow.
@CRK109 (14365)
How I would love to knit a cardigan! I can never find one in stores that's exactly what I want!
@YrNemo (7483)
@CRK109 I made a few (jumpers, cardigans etc), but I was too silly then to use cheap yarns, and after a few washes, pilling began to show up. That turns me off from knitting unfortunately.
Watching movies is my go to pass time.
@CRK109 (14365)
It's nice when there are good movies around! What have you watched recently that you would recommend?
@CRK109 I watch a lot of obscure old black and white movies.
Watching a good comedy always improves my spirits too. And starting some knitting is a good idea. I find it hard to sit still too unless I have something for my hands to do.
@CRK109 (14365)
I've never been able to just sit and watch TV or a movie. And I guess I get that from Mom because she always crocheted while watching TV.
@CRK109 I read somewhere that it can indicate low magnesium levels. I think it was magnesium. Have you ever heard that?
I'm sorry you've been down, and your niece didn't want company. Sure sounds like a good book if you're half way through already. I can't message you.. but I've commented before that I've been wanting to give you my email in case you ever need or want to talk, but i dont think you saw it? Or you did but.. yeah..
@CRK109 (14365)
No I missed that you wanted to exchange emails! I'd love to do that! mine is crk109 at gmail. Send me a note and I'll have your email!
@CRK109 okay!
Good morning Claudia it's already Sunday and I'm just getting round to saying hi. Your book sounds interesting and I love books that are part of a series. I love to read too.
@CRK109 (14365)
Yes, those seem to be my favorites once I've decided that I feel for the characters. A friend of mine is doing the audio books from this series and a TV series has popped up, too, although I don't at all like the actors playing the roles in the tv series. There were a couple of movies and those actors were fabulous! But I'm not sure they've continued to do all the books.
@responsiveme (14367)
Knitting is a good project.I used to knit and give as gifts baby sweaters
@CRK109 (14365)
Yes, it's great to pass the time and make all sorts of things for people
@garymarsh6 (12100)
The three 'R's ' Reading wRiting and laundRy. (I guess you could count each piece you laundered). I know many people mock the book war and peace as being very long. It is a fascinating book and a pleasure to read.
@CRK109 (14365)
I had the opportunity to read a book online for free, but in little segments. I chose War and Peace. I read maybe a quarter of it and lost interest. I wish I could have gotten through it to finally say I'd read it, but it just didn't happen for me. But the library has plenty of other books I've been able to read, so I'm pleased about that! lol
@UncleJoe (8071)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
YouTube has a lot of great movies both new and old. Becky and I watch a lot of Hallmark movies there.
@CRK109 (14365)
I need to check that out! I keep forgetting to check Youtube. Thanks, Joe! xoxo
I should make time to do more reading - that is one of my favorite hobbies.
@CRK109 (14365)
I really do enjoy reading. I read every night before I go to sleep.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Sorry you did not get to visit your niece Claudia. Sounds like you have a few things you can do instead though to keep you busy. Hope you have a good weekend coming up.