Not Today Please

@YrNemo (12638)
We just renovated our place. The renovation must have been good, for a few passersby have asked for our builder's name, and at the same time, would like to look at the inside to see the quality of the renovation work. We like our builder, who had helped us lots with side jobs here and there, so we let about three such groups of people inside to have a closer look. (Our builder has been against the idea right from the beginning. He said the interested parties should contact him instead if they wanted to check out his company's workmanship. He pointed out that it was dangerous for us as a private property owner to let strangers walk in, looking around.) Well, there is this 4th group who wanted to look at our place two days ago. I was reluctant but too nice to refuse to let them (a husband and wife group) have a quick peek. They didn't turn up then after we spent time tidying up the house for their coming! They seem to try my cell phone right now, on a weekend. (To me, from Friday afternoon to early Monday morning is a weekend.) I am not pleased one bit. Since I don't normally answer my cell phone during weekends, guess I won't make an exception this time or any time for this couple. On top of that, if and when they contact me again soon, I will advise them to contact the builder directly. (They are already in contact with the builder and the architect of that company from what they told me!). Am I too harsh to those people?
@sol_cee (15398)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Too much overthinking.Channel those thoughts to planning good wall decorations.
@YrNemo (12638)
with the Japanese carps?
@sol_cee (15398)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@YrNemo hahaha why not? Does your builder have a say on that?
@YrNemo (12638)
@sol_cee - the carp painting? the builder would just laugh I think. - the unwanted inspectors? The builder and the architect already told me off when the first group (Russian) came asking. But I hate saying 'no' to people. I so wanted to help the builder having more contracts. The builder and his team are real nice people.
No! You are not harsh at all. If they're neighbors maybe but if they're strangers pulling up and asking for a tour - yes, it could be quite dangerous because they're in your personal environment.
@YrNemo (12638)
That was the problem with me, I was reluctant to say 'no'. From now on, I will do just that, 'no' (after sitting around waiting for that couple last Wednesday!)
@YrNemo Yeah, I'd say no also. Was the couple a neighbor? I know a neighbor on the same street had a home remodel and they welcomed my parents into take a peek but they knew we lived down the street. But I wouldn't approach anyone to say hey can I come and see the remodel going on.
@YrNemo (12638)
@infatuatedbby I might have talked to him once & given him our builder's business card on which, I had my number written down somewhere. But that was that, I had never seen the guy before. I wouldn't be able to recognize him again unfortunately, hence my extra reluctance.
@ilocosboy (34311)
You are not and I think you responded just okay
@YrNemo (12638)
Imagine strangers in the house when you just want to relax after a busy week! I can't bear the thought.
You are not at all harsh, they are rude, tell them to call directly the builder.
@YrNemo (12638)
I plan to do just that, if they call me next time. (Considering that I don't often answer my cell phone, they were lucky to get me last times.)
@YrNemo Check the number of who is calling and avoid to reply.
@YrNemo (12638)
@LadyDuck I will do so (I am not too good in this number checking business, but this is a special case!).
@Nawsheen (23076)
• Mauritius
You must definitely say NO. Else you will have too many people coming around and well there may be some with evil intentions
@YrNemo (12638)
You are right, that thought struck me suddenly last week (after the guy failed to turn up). I will say 'no' to everyone from now on.
@Nawsheen (23076)
• Mauritius
@YrNemo that's it
@YrNemo You will have us all here encouraging you to do so.
No you were not too harsh Darcy. I do not know where you are, but is it customary for strangers to be looking inside your house? Are you selling it or just they want to be nosy? lol
@YrNemo (12638)
They said they wanted to check out the workmanship of the builder and his team. They are annoying me right now with more phone calls.
@YrNemo Oh dear, I would cut them off..that is so rude.
@Fishmomma (11504)
I think you weren't harsh, as people shouldn't bother you now. The fact this couple contacted the builder already would make me nervous to have them in my home. I wouldn't let them in my home at all.
@YrNemo (12638)
It just hit me lately exactly what you just wrote here. (Why did they I wonder?)
YOu are not too harsh at all. You have no obligation to let those people in. Some probably only want to see your house by curiosity. I would not have let anybody in.
@YrNemo (12638)
I have begun to learn some wisdom (a bit late at my age LOL).
@ridingbet (52691)
Ideally Sundays should be family days. Also those who need the architect or the builder should be the ones to contact them,not you.
@YrNemo (12638)
You are right. I was too dumb to figure that out. I should have told them so right in the beginning.
@PatZAnthony (12616)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
There is no way we would let strangers in to see the renovation we did here w/o someone paying us, like one of the builders, contractors, etc., and you were not paid. Will you be allowing more people in?
@YrNemo (12638)
I suddenly realized that I had been stupid. From now on, I will say 'no'. (I was brainless then .)
No you are not too harsh. It is not your job to provide a builder's show case, and they were rude asking this favor then not showing up.
wowzers, some folks 've sure got some...well, ya know. i agree with yer builder 'n ya ought not be lettin' strangers go roamin' 'round yer place. one can ne'er be too careful these days. i don't feel yer bein' harsh't all. if'n the builder/'r architect were to contact ya 'n ask if'n they could bring some folks by 'n y'all could agree'n a date/time, then so be 't. otherwise, i'd politely decline.
@responsiveme (16037)
No, you did right
I think you have the right to decide what's your preference about this concern.
@garymarsh6 (14062)
Absolutely not. You did the right thing. I have a neighbour like that who tries to come in and have a look when we have had stuff done. My wife told me off one day when she came after having some work done but I kept her chatting at the front door and did not let her in!